LED or MH

Werdlone

what?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this seems to be a one sided thread. Let me stir things up a bit. I recommend the Metal Halide. I still have not seen an sps tank with some long term photos...like a year or more out, with some great growth and color. If you have some pics, please post them. All I see are tanks 3-6 months out at most. I can give you a list a mile long with sps tanks with incredible color and growth with MH setups. I am not anti LED. I think it is definitely the future of reef keeping, but I do not know if they are perfected or fine tuned yet. Figuring out equivalent output for LED to MH is still really not accurate. color temp is still a little off from the light setups I have seen. If you want to be a trailblazer, go for it. If you want a tried and true light setup, with reliable color and results, get the HM setup. My 2 cents.

BTW..I use MH with VHO supplements..when LED gets worked out and the price is right, I will make the change.

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Werd, you will see pics of my tank in 6 months and then it will be at that year mark. I understand everyone's sentiments about not trusting it because it is new. The only reason that I put the first LED on my nano tank is because I got a great "guinea pig" deal. After 6 months of the SAME growth and BETTER color that I was getting under my MH+T5 I decided that it was legit and pulled the trigger to put them on my 120.

OP
OP
TopNotchCorals

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I got my chiller from ebay through premiumaquatics. PA had a bunch of brand new chillers listed on ebay at their store price but had a best offer option, I made a offer and got a steal on a brand new chiller.

No one that spends a bunch of money likes to admit they did not get the right thing. I know when I set my tank up last year I spent $1200 on a 12 bulb sfiligoi T5 fixture. I ran 8 bulb T5 Tek fixture on my old tank and had a ton of success. After a year on running my 12 bulb T5 sfiligoi I feel my growth is slower than I would like it to be, and the spread sucks. My tank is 36" wide though. Would LED be better for me? I know with a 48" x 36" footprint to light up it would be hard to justify the expense. Although I did order an Aquaillumintion for my nano to give LED a shot.
I will definitely be the first to say that I paid $700 on my 24" ATI Powermodule and I am very unhappy:cry:I am not bashing T5's as I have seen many successful tanks being ran on them but the 24" model I don't think packs the par punch that the bigger models do.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to have to agree with WL on this one. Once again, I also have nothing against LED's but I have yet to see a tank that is over 1-2 years old that has been successful with LED's and sps corals. Show me the money, as they say, and I will be the first person to switch. Until then, I cannot recommend LED's over metal halides.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back