LED Q&A (You ask, I'll answer)

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have question. Currently I have a 20 long with hammers, zina, polps and disc coral. All are doing fine under a Marineland reef LED. I would like to have a claim and I know that my current light will not support it. I was thinking of adding a par38 LED bulb, this bulb would be directly over the claim. What do you think? I've trird to reserach this bulb but can not find the watt of the stars the use other than 5 LED stars, 21watt and the K numbers.

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I am putting together a tank and would like to run LEDs. It's a 24x24x24 cube, and I plan to start off with just some fish, anemones, and some beginner corals. I would like a prebuilt fixture, do you have any recommendations for me? Thanks ahead.

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, just another quick question. When I ordered my led kit I ordered all royal blue and no normal blue. I have 14 royal blue, 8 10k white and 2 UV bulbs. Is there a difference in blue and royal blue? And is it ok to have all royal blues and no normal blues? Or will it affect my growth?

saratj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok had my original driver on my DIY led setup die on me, so I am thinking of buying a regular power supply.

Here's my specs :

LEDs- 9 x 10w epistar emitters 12v 1000mA
3 emitters in series so 36v 1000mA , and 3 series for a total of 36v @ 3amp

The power supply I'm thinking about getting is 36v 9.2 amp max
It's rated at 100w continuous 350w max.

Will the LEDs run at the 3000mA or will they try and suck all the juice the power supply will give and blow themselves.

The power supply I was using was 36v 3000mA , so exactly the requirements of the emitters. The power supply I'm thinking about is the same voltage , but can provide more amperage. Will this cause an issue?

Thanks

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FS: Maxspect 170W gen2 LED light system - The Reef Tank
This is all that I have on the light...
Thanks
Mark
Looks good to me, I would add a couple reds, and greens.

I have question. Currently I have a 20 long with hammers, zina, polps and disc coral. All are doing fine under a Marineland reef LED. I would like to have a claim and I know that my current light will not support it. I was thinking of adding a par38 LED bulb, this bulb would be directly over the claim. What do you think? I've trird to reserach this bulb but can not find the watt of the stars the use other than 5 LED stars, 21watt and the K numbers.
That would work, use 60 degree optics to focus the light on just the clam, and make sure they are dimmable, so you do not harm the clam.

Hey I am putting together a tank and would like to run LEDs. It's a 24x24x24 cube, and I plan to start off with just some fish, anemones, and some beginner corals. I would like a prebuilt fixture, do you have any recommendations for me? Thanks ahead.
The maxspect razor 120watt 14k looks good, your best option is always DIY.

Hey, just another quick question. When I ordered my led kit I ordered all royal blue and no normal blue. I have 14 royal blue, 8 10k white and 2 UV bulbs. Is there a difference in blue and royal blue? And is it ok to have all royal blues and no normal blues? Or will it affect my growth?
You will be fine. What I would worry about is the 10k whites, I would use 7500k CW instead.

Ok had my original driver on my DIY led setup die on me, so I am thinking of buying a regular power supply.

Here's my specs :

LEDs- 9 x 10w epistar emitters 12v 1000mA
3 emitters in series so 36v 1000mA , and 3 series for a total of 36v @ 3amp

The power supply I'm thinking about getting is 36v 9.2 amp max
It's rated at 100w continuous 350w max.

Will the LEDs run at the 3000mA or will they try and suck all the juice the power supply will give and blow themselves.

The power supply I was using was 36v 3000mA , so exactly the requirements of the emitters. The power supply I'm thinking about is the same voltage , but can provide more amperage. Will this cause an issue?

Thanks
If you go above 30% power, you will fry the diodes. I would do 3 Meanwell ELN 60-48D set at 1000ma max, and dimmed down. Also, at 3A a string, yes, they will take all of the amps they can, and burn out immediatly.

Can you run 14 XPGs off of one mean well eln 60-40D driver?
Yes, that is the absolute maximum at 1300ma.

Why do people put both cool white and neutral?
Some people prefer nuetral white, as it has a large color curve, and low 450nm spike. I do not like this, more 450nm spectrum over other colors will provide better growth, and I like to add only the spikes corals benefit from, such as 410-430nm, 450nm, 630-660nm, and not as beneficial, but with a minor effect: 470-530nm

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've seen some led fixtures that have all the leds in a round cluster.
Is there a advantage with them in this pattern?

Saltwatertaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I was just sold 2 Led strip. Each come with 24 lights. One is all blue, the other has blue and 8 pink lights. Is this enough lights to grow coral (not sps) in a 12g nano jbj cube? I was told it was equivalent to a t-5 output. He suggested getting whites, but said I would be okay without them.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some led fixtures that have all the leds in a round cluster.
Is there a advantage with them in this pattern?

There are two advantages. One is, they group different colors together so you don't get the issue with color fringing (the disco ball effect). The second is that it gives you more shimmer; i.e., closer to the shimmer you get from metal halides.

CJ

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so here nis my question.... I am planning my tank upgrade. Probably going to a 4 ft x 3ft 150 tank. I am not skilled enough to build my own LED's and would rather be safer and have some pre-built versions. That being said, between the Maxspect Mazarra P series and the Ecotech Radions, which would you choose and why? Also how many of each fixture would I need? Does it make a difference that the maxspects are only 60w vs. the 120w ecotech? I believe the tank will be about 2 ft deep also. If I am remembering correctly. Thank you for your help.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back