LED Q&A (You ask, I'll answer)

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
And to mfinn, the previous poster didn't say his leds burned out, only that he has some concern that they may have color shifted. t5 bulbs still work after 12, 18, 24 even 36 months, but would you use them over an sps tank? Not likely. If you were trying to be satirical or even funny, you failed. And as somebody who has been in the hobby as long as you, you know better. A disappointing post.

That is exactly what I have heard many times, that the leds are suppose to last 10 years. I didn't say anything about them burning out. I just stated something I have read over 3 different forums.

Fwiw, I have had the Reef Breeders value fixture and I currently have a Radion.
There was no attempt at humor or anything else.
Sorry to be a disappointment to you.

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Ron. Way to be "that guy". Way to stir the pot.. someone didn't get enough attention as a baby boy? Anyways. It is common knowledge at this point that led do not shift spectrum. They are not gas filled bulbs that change composition over time. Rather at 5 years they are about 70% as bright as they originally were. This info can be found on led wholesalers site, or on aquaillumination.com. I said I believe because I figured someone would immediately post the info with exact specs.
And here is a link to exactly what I'm talking about. http://www.lumec.com/newsletter/architect_06-08/led.htm

Last edited:

Trex-on

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a 12G nano with a aquaray 1000Hd tile fitted in the hood, what would be the maximum power output you would recommend I run at.
It has 10 Cree X-RE Q+ power LEDs, 7 white 14000k and 3 blue 50000K on two channels. Ch1 has 3 blue and 2 white. Ch2 has 5 white, I have ch1 at 60 and ch2 at 50%. I just reduced from 75% both channels as I noticed some bleaching on a couple acropora tips and some zoas loosing colour and zooxanthellae.

passion4reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to put your value fixtures over a 30 inch tall 150 gallon. Which optics if any should I get for a normal mixed reef? Is there a sale going on now or is that the normal price? How high should i mount them? How long per day should I run them? How much should I dim them after initial acclimation?

kennykane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 75 gallon 48"x18"x20.5" reef tank and i want to buy programmable LEDs for my tank. I would prefer a tank mount over a hanging mount. Do you have something for me? and how much to purchase?

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a 12G nano with a aquaray 1000Hd tile fitted in the hood, what would be the maximum power output you would recommend I run at.
It has 10 Cree X-RE Q+ power LEDs, 7 white 14000k and 3 blue 50000K on two channels. Ch1 has 3 blue and 2 white. Ch2 has 5 white, I have ch1 at 60 and ch2 at 50%. I just reduced from 75% both channels as I noticed some bleaching on a couple acropora tips and some zoas loosing colour and zooxanthellae.
I would reccomend starting anything LED at about 25% power, and adding about 5% a week.

Looking to put your value fixtures over a 30 inch tall 150 gallon. Which optics if any should I get for a normal mixed reef? Is there a sale going on now or is that the normal price? How high should i mount them? How long per day should I run them? How much should I dim them after initial acclimation?
I would use 90 or 60 degree optics. The price now is permanent.

i have a 75 gallon 48"x18"x20.5" reef tank and i want to buy programmable LEDs for my tank. I would prefer a tank mount over a hanging mount. Do you have something for me? and how much to purchase?
There is no tank mount, however 2 of the value fixtures, or one of the 32" controllable fixtures would be ideal to cover your tank.

passion4reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be able to cover my tank with one 32 inch controllable and 90 degree optics. I would like to keep a clam and some lps in the sand like a brain or favia. I would also like to be able to keep sps all through out the tank. Looking for a 20k look. I like the controllable because I can get the sunrise sunset effect.

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of lighting my 6 ft long tank from the corner of one side. I want 4 beams of light cast like rays of sun through the tank so that it is mostly shadows.

What type of components would I be looking at to support corals on the places the light contacts the rock work?

passion4reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or ecoexotics cannons. Either one sounds like what you are describing. If you want to mount them all in one corner and angle them like a spot light you might want to get a more powerful one for the beam that has to travel the farthest. You might get better look if you put them in the area you want to light and mount them close to the water level. The closer to the water level the tighter the beam.

passion4reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best idea is mount them to a hanging bar where you want them and make sure they are 4inches or less from water level. That should give you a nice tight beam. Kessils would be a little cheaper but they don't have multicolored ones.

tbone74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought one of your value fixtures last month for a frag tank. For the money it is very impressive. How many value fixtures and what optics would I need for my 240 to grow sps? I currently run 3x250 MH and some t-12 VHO act. The tank is 72x24x31 tall. I can go as high as 3 1/2 feet above the water line

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought one of your value fixtures last month for a frag tank. For the money it is very impressive. How many value fixtures and what optics would I need for my 240 to grow sps? I currently run 3x250 MH and some t-12 VHO act. The tank is 72x24x31 tall. I can go as high as 3 1/2 feet above the water line

If your tank is 6' long 3 may be enough, 4 would be dialed back a bit. If it's an 8' tank, I think you'll want 4. In either case, with it being a 31" tall tank, you are right at the edge of using 90 degree vs 60 degree lenses. If you do 4 lights over the 6' tank, I'd go with 60 degree lenses as you have more than enough light.

I'd also say you should consider the IT2080. It's 32" long, has 99 3w leds and has a built in timer/controller and only has 1 power cord. 3 or 4 D120's would mean 6 or 8 power cords which is a small part of why I went for the IT2080. Even over an 8' tank, 2 IT2080 should work, or add in a D120 or IT2040 to put in the middle of the IT2080's.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do your led fixtures thatvyou sell compare to radion LEDs ? Besides the price

Scott,

I had a Radion for 6+ months and just got several of the EverGrow IT 2080, IT2040 and D120. I'm letting the $750 Radion go and replacing it with a $250 EG IT2040. The Radion has to be hooked up to a computer to change the program, it's a PITA. And the IT2040 has better PAR and better coverage. And the built in controller works great! Just my two cents.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be able to cover my tank with one 32 inch controllable and 90 degree optics. I would like to keep a clam and some lps in the sand like a brain or favia. I would also like to be able to keep sps all through out the tank. Looking for a 20k look. I like the controllable because I can get the sunrise sunset effect.

You should have no problem with that stocking list. We have a custom 20K layout for $10 extra

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of lighting my 6 ft long tank from the corner of one side. I want 4 beams of light cast like rays of sun through the tank so that it is mostly shadows.

What type of components would I be looking at to support corals on the places the light contacts the rock work?

I would use closely grouped 3 watt chips. I am not a proponent of multichips, some people like the shimmer, but my beef with them is if one goes out, they whole chip is worthless. I would use 72watts of cree diodes, and some bridgelux colors on a 4 smaller heatsinks to replicate this eefect, with 60 degree optics for a tight beam.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back