LED Q&A (You ask, I'll answer)

Bootstrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at leds now for a whole day. I see that the AI come well reviewed, but so do your reefbreeders. I have a 48" 75g. Is the reefbreeders controllable 32" ideal for this application? Also, the new fixtures have less red correct? Any plans on upgrades to led technology in your fixtures in the near future that I should wait to order? I'm hoping to find some reviews of your fixtures on this site

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I tried one of the chinese leds for a while and wasn't totaly happy with it.
I now have a Radion ( gen 1)and love it. It was difficult for me to understand the instructions ( or lack of them) to get the programing right for my tank.
It took a phone call to Ecotech phone support and within about 15 minutes Jon had my light program setup and running on a 4 week acclimation program.
They have improved the instruction side with several video's on their website.
I haven't seen anyone complain about the lack of PAR with Radions.
Connecting the light to a computer seems to be a plus IMO. You get to see the program on your computer screen, be able to make major or minor changes.
The Radions are more expensive, I've seen them $550 to $600 for the gen 1's and if I hadn't won mine in a raffle, I'm not sure I would have one now.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at leds now for a whole day. I see that the AI come well reviewed, but so do your reefbreeders. I have a 48" 75g. Is the reefbreeders controllable 32" ideal for this application? Also, the new fixtures have less red correct? Any plans on upgrades to led technology in your fixtures in the near future that I should wait to order? I'm hoping to find some reviews of your fixtures on this site

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

The 32" is meant to cover a 4 foot tank. They now come with 4 660nm reds, the 4 630nm were replaced with 4 450nm

roryb24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running 3 AI sol super blue models over my tank for awhile now and I have zoas chalices and sps and everything seems to love them. The colors are great there is no down side to them in my opinion. I haven't had problems with corals not coloring or any of the problems that people try to say happen. I do acclimate all corals that come into the tank in fear of bleaching them but so far nothing but success with them.

salmon alley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love to get some advice for lighting a corner tank.
I've got a corner acrylic tank which measures 24" for each 'leg' and is 30" tall.
I'd like to keep a mixture of SPS towards the top and LPS a bit further down. I haven't yet decided on whether to purchase a commercial fixture or to DIY one.
I know that I want dimmability, and some control over the colors (so at least 3 channels).
Can you suggest an appropriate number of LEDs and optics given the information I've provided?
Many thanks!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried one of the chinese leds for a while and wasn't totaly happy with it.
I now have a Radion ( gen 1)and love it.I haven't seen anyone complain about the lack of PAR with Radions.
Connecting the light to a computer seems to be a plus IMO. You get to see the program on your computer screen, be able to make major or minor changes.
The Radions are more expensive, I've seen them $550 to $600 for the gen 1's and if I hadn't won mine in a raffle, I'm not sure I would have one now.

Newer Chinese fixtures from EverGrow are frist class. I replaced my Radion with one,
Radions have good PAR numbers, but thet don't cover the square footage that an EverGrow IT2040 will at one third the cost!
Connecting a computer to adjust a light fixture is a PITA not a plus. Besides, who really NEEDS that kind of control?

"The Radions are more expensive, I've seen them $550 to $600 for the gen 1's and if I hadn't won mine in a raffle, I'm not sure I would have one now." Isn't that EXACTLY the point! I said Radions are good lights. But at $750 for a new one they are 2 or 3 times more expensive than the EverGrow IT2040 which is as good or better in many ways.

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a while but I got through the whole thread. I am an expert on leds now! Lol
Great thread!

Sent from my VS950 4G using Forum Runner

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Connecting a computer to adjust a light fixture is a PITA not a plus. Besides, who really NEEDS that kind of control?

For many of us, it is not a pain. It is a plus.
For my application, it is perfect.
Knowing now what I do about the Radion and the different programs it will be on my list when I upgrade my lighting on my 240.
I will also look at the other fixtures. I'm not going to exclude any just because of price.

Wankell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For many of us, it is not a pain. It is a plus.
For my application, it is perfect.
Knowing now what I do about the Radion and the different programs it will be on my list when I upgrade my lighting on my 240.
I will also look at the other fixtures. I'm not going to exclude any just because of price.

Im a techie, so its amazing for me! I understand most old timers will not like it, but I see more and more units picking up the technology, especially with LED.

beckerj3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like some help/advice in selecting an LED fixture. Here's my current set-up:
75 gal display tank (standard size w 20g sump) - Current USA Outer Orbit - 6 bulb T5 - running 4 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Purple Plus, and 1 GE6500
Red Sea Max 130D - I bought it used 4 months ago - still running the standard PC T5 bulbs
15 gal frag tank - Current USA T5 Fixture - running 1 ATI Blue Plus & 1 ATI Aqua Blue special

#1) I need to change the bulbs on the frag tank, and have decided that I'd like to start there with an LED Fixture
#2) I plan to upgrade the Red Sea Max 130D to LED - but thought I'd first try my hand with LED's on the 15 gal tank

I don't plan to change the lighting on the 75 gal at this time. I like the color (although I have no idea if its a 12K, 14K or whatever look) & I get tremendous growth. The reason for mentioning it is that I'd like to understand what LED would give a similar coloring.

So, I've looked at RapidLED and I'm comfortable that I could handle a solderless DIY. Although they have a kit for a 14gal biocube, I don't think that that would be good for me, since the dimensions on the 15 gal (24x12x12) are so different from the 14 biocube (15.5x15x16.7). That kit uses a 4.25x9" heatsink. I'm thinking that the 9" wouldn't be long enough to cover the 24" length on the 15gal. ???? So, I think my first couple questions are - what dimensions of a heat sink should I use for a standard 15 gal tank? What LED mix would you recommend? I know that the drivers (meanwell) max out at 14 LEDs - so I'm thinking 12-14 LEDs. Is that too small a number to use anything except Cool White and Royal Blue - Crees? I don't have a controller for this tank - so am thinking of going non-dimable - unless there is a low cost solution for going dimable. ????

I've looked at the RapidLED kit for the Red Sea Max 130D. To fit in the Red Sea Max, it uses a 4.25x16" heatsink. With only a 4.25" width - how well will that cover the entire width of the tank? The kit comes with 27 LED's. What combination would you recommend? I plan to have a controller for this tank and will get dimmable controllers.

Thanks!

Polishpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about getting the solderless biocube 14 retrofit kit by rapidled. Would this be a good pick up for my biocube. If so what color LEDs should I get? Thanks for the help I'm new to saltwater and definetly LEDs

kristofferzen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Any advice for a lighting sequence for a mixed 40 breeder reef lit by a 160W Razor (8 inches above the water). I'm trying to hone in max for channels and
time frames that folks use and have not gotten a big response.
Thanks!

wings4wheels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if there was a controller, or a way to do a dawn/dusk for these lights I bought on ebay.
2X 120W New Marine Organism Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank LED Lamp Dimmable | eBay
I picked them up last year, and this seems to be the closest listing to what I bought. They are dimmable, but it would be cool to have them ramp up and down to simulate an actual daylight cycle.

Thanks in advance,

wings4wheels

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back