LED's claim must be false?

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a Metal Halide ballast in a room with no ventilation-see how long it lasts and then state that the longevity of the fixture is a lie.

Put a t-5 fixture/ballast in a similar situation-you won't be getting a year out of the unit,, so again, they must be lieing.

Put the most heat sensitive lighting option in a situation where it doesn't have a way of cooling down, and see how long it lasts-thus the longevity claims must be a lie.

Just like computer CPU's, LEDs produce massive heat, and require cooling. If cared for, they're going to last a long time-if not, they won't. So the claim of LED's lasting a long time is true, but the claim that all LED's are mounted in an appropriate situation isn't, this comes down to the manufacturer building fixtures correctly vs. using a claim about technology.

I'm currently designing and going to start working on an LED system that's going to be designed similarly to a water-cooled computer method, with each LED mounted to a water-filled heatsink, mounted to a gimble allowing me to rotate the LED's for specific highlighting/spotlighting purposes. Water will all be run through a radiator mounted outside the sump, on such a system I'd expect a very good life span on the LED's.

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a professor about a yr ago that was an egineer for german led manufactur. he himself said that they do not last as long as the claims of 10-20 yrs. he said some can last that long but they will be significantly weaker and the majority will "burn out" way before the 10yrs. i found it pretty interesting considering he was a quality control manager for this company.

reefhead

Could you be more specific.

Having a graduate degree, I've heard many professors say many things that deserve the B...S...Cough...

Cree is very specific on stating 50,000 hours at 700mA with proper thermal management with their XR-E line of LEDs.

If they burn out before that, they have a lot to loose and making such a claim if it is not true it is not in their best long term interest.

We will only know for sure 11 years from know.

Bill

RonMidtownStomp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which at 5 hrs/day I get 27 yrs. I'm willing to overdrive them and burn them out because replacement stars should be $.50/each in 5 yrs.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back