LEDs, T5s and MHs for zoas discussion. What are your thoughts?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People are already asking me why I'm so crazy about my T5s and why I never explain some of the points I make when I recommend them, so...

I'll tell you my point of view on LEDs in general. LEDs are spot lights, right? The fixtures have lots of bulbs with different spectrums to direct the light straight to a surface, distributed to obtain the overall spectrum our eyes can see, purples, reds, etc.... This type of illumination is very different then the ocean. There is a significant difference of light intensity through the aquarium, distributed by the LED fixture. One can measure PAR and see great variation only inches away from other measurements.

Because of it's nature, as a flat spot light, the placements of the organisms in the system could be a problem. IMO one shouldn't have to play such game, moving pieces of SPS corals or zoas on plugs around, to satisfy their needs. Sometimes it's like a gamble. It's a waste of time IMO and lots of stress! Reefing is supposed to be much easier than that! And can be! Trust me!

Besides, why spend so much money getting a fixture that will be underrated in a year? Why get a fixture for your system that will possibly need a T5 or a metal halide to complement to lit your system? That's what many people are doing today! They soon noticed that their LEDs weren't good enough to be the primary light for their reef systems.
Why will sellers try to convince you then? Marketing.
Just about every day there is a new LED fixture for sale. Why? Marketing!!!
The differences between newer fixtures simply can't change much the basic principals of LEDs.

LEDs release energy in form of photons (electroluminescence) through a small tiny area that needs an optical component (lens) and are different from other sources of light, like T5s, which uses chemical reactions or gas, and we use polished reflectors to intensify their abilities. Different principals will have different effects... That shows us how much efficient T5s are.

With metal halides we should care for the placement of organisms introduced in the system, but incredible easier and forgiven. By the way, IME Metal halides are the very best for any reef system!!! For zoas too!! I've always said that!! Best lights I've tried! Their uniformity is way better than any LED fixture, even being a "spot light". With a good reflector, MH bulbs will cover large areas with capable light radiation.
Because the heat is intense and the electricity gets kind of expensive with the metal halides, with the need of a chiller running in most cases, it's a lot easier to deal with the T5s, eliminating most of the heat, in comparison. But... if money isn't the problem... I would opt for MHs!

The T5s are the easiest of all lights! Not only for the plug&play, without the placement game of corals and zoas, but also because of the uniformity of the light emitted by the fixture. It's so easy to deal with that we can set and forget about it!!!

I thought I was going the right way when I decided to try LEDs for my 125gal system. I thought those "magic fixtures" would give me much less heat and I would pay less electricity. I was so wrong!! The only thing that I noticed significant difference was not spending $150.00 a year to replace the T5 bulbs. You know what? If I had to spend $300.00 more a year to change such bulbs today, it would be totally worthy. I had to proof to myself how wrong I was even trying those LEDs. So many people recommended the LEDs, so I tried... I'm glad I've never changed my 75gal zoa system's ATI T5s fixture for those LEDs though! :D

Now, if you and others really want to stay with those expensive LED fixtures and think you're gonna make in the long run. I can tell you could. You just have to stay focus, struggling and play the game. Keep in mind you have a high percentage of chances to loose many frags and that should be the norm when you deal with LEDs. Will you burn some frags? Yep. Will you burn your brain trying to figure out the best way to place a new plug? Unfortunately yep. What about those fancy computer programs with the LEDs with all those features? Will you get tired of that and not use 85% of the features? Yep. Why have them then? Well, that's what you'll have to tell me... Why?

One other thing I've noticed is the difference of the formation of the zoa colonies. The Metal halides and T5s allow them to grow in a very similar way they grow in the ocean. Polyps are spread through the rocks and show a natural look. With the LEDs my colonies were growing upwards and the shades were visible, showing a "flower pot" pattern quite unnatural and different than what we can find in the wild. They weren't healthy as my colonies under T5 bulbs. That's for sure!!
They tend to spread crazy and stop growing for some reason. Then they struggled and some colonies actually receded. There were absolutely no pathogens nor pests in my 125gal tank. There was no other issue going on but the change of T5s for LEDs.

If you have a T5 fixture, like the ATI for example, you'll never worry about light! You just need to get the right bulbs for your taste. That's because most of the bulbs are pretty safe doing it's job without any problem at all for a year...
The heat isn't that bad and the fixture has fans. They also have a hybrid system with T5s + LEDs for those who believe they really, really, really need those blue LEDs to pop! I don't. I think the space of the LEDs in that light fixture is better filled with a T5 bulb. But you still can place a strip of blue LEDs over the tank for that so wanted "pop", if you want.

If you want to achieve the best for your reef system: you'll feed, take care of the chemistry, quarantine the fish/inverts, etc... why not get the best light system? Yes, metal halides are the best! No doubt about that. T5s is the way to go if you want/need to save money, like me, but still want the best for the zoas...;)

Another thing... someone once told me that T5s are shop lights. I had to remind that person that most of the shops nowadays actually adopted LEDs! LEDs are the shop lights, then!

By the way... thanks Mr. Jeremy Gosnell for the nice article:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/are-leds-a-suitable-primary-light-source.42/
I used the article to express some of my thoughts too!!

I'll hope to see you guys talking about the subject and leaving your own point of view. I know there are probably people here that sold their LED fixtures to go back to T5s. Hope you guys could share your experiences as well. Or vice versa! ;)

I do not sell, nor work for any T5 company!:confused:

Aloha,
Grandis.

Last edited:

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5, MH and LED are all fantastic lighting options and it mostly boils down to personal preference.

My lights are on cheap home depot timers. Blues on at 11:00 off at 9:00. Whites on at 1:30 and off at 8:30. 80% Blues all day, 50% whites all day. Have never lost a frag and dont think i have strange growth patterns. I have Zoas and palys growing right next to SPS. My lights were cheaper and cost much less to run/maintain than t5.

omfggvR.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"A photon is a Photon is a photon. " DR Sanjay.
Me Ive seen corl grown ive seen coral grown under a home depot Phillips led 48k. And some that have not had the MH bulb changed in two years. both great tanks.

Understanding what is in light, and what else you may need that your light doesn't give is key. Ie, with led it produces no IR and limited UV, so if you using led, maybe you should have better temperature control.

MH and T5 also are very forgiving ill agree. I understand how their made and what they produce. but to say led is not a fine choice for an aquarium is not true, especially id i look to my right and behind me at ,my tanks.
or they contain a different and special photon in the visible spectrum that led dont provide is completely opposite of science. yea maybe some led are sloppy(o_Olookin at you jbj), but the science of them is still progressing.

IR!!!!??? IR you say??? What that got to do with anything?????? Umm well, its part of the electromagnetic spectrum and actually is light.:D No 665nm does not penetrate water well but IR has a longer wavelength. Is so long and penetrates so well, that we used its light to look at the center of our own galaxy.

itll be more interesting in the near future to look at corals grown under led t5 and MH and see if there are significant color differences growth patters , and dissect them to look at bone density, pigment concentrations, and zooox content.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the smallest T5 fixture you have seen?
24"

For the Matrixx II fixture from Giesemann with 4 bulbs, the fixture measures 25.6 X10.25.

The ATI makes 3 of the 24 " SunPower models.
4X24" for aquariums from 20 to 50 gal., measuring 23.1" long, 9.4" wide and 2.1" high.
6X24" for aquariums from 40 to 70 gal., measuring 23.1" long, 13.4" wide and 2.1" high.
8X24" for aquariums from 50 to 100 gal., measuring 23.1" long, 17.5" wide and 2.1" high.

I have played with the PowerModule, SunPower and dimmable fixtures.
I would get just the regular ATI SunPower, not the dimmable. Never had problems at all.
The dimmable is a good option too, but I just don't see much more for the price.

Aloha,
Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5, MH and LED are all fantastic lighting options and it mostly boils down to personal preference.

My lights are on cheap home depot timers. Blues on at 11:00 off at 9:00. Whites on at 1:30 and off at 8:30. 80% Blues all day, 50% whites all day. Have never lost a frag and dont think i have strange growth patterns. I have Zoas and palys growing right next to SPS. My lights were cheaper and cost much less to run/maintain than t5.

omfggvR.jpg
Very nice picture! Thanks for posting!
Have you tried T5s before? Please post your experiences with the T5s also.
Beautiful Montipora!

Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A photon is a Photon is a photon. " DR Sanjay.

Yes, I believe I've heard he saying that in one of the videos a while ago.
And of course that is a clean true statement alone. The context is a bit more complex than that.
I wouldn't want to use any quotes from him to try justify the use of LEDs as better lights than metal halides and T5s for reef tanks. He uses metal halides over his tanks and maybe some VHO and HOT5s as a complement over the years.
He is very careful to write about LEDs not to hurt people and companies. I don't think one would recommend something that he wouldn't use on his own tank. ;)

Me Ive seen corl grown ive seen coral grown under a home depot Phillips led 48k. And some that have not had the MH bulb changed in two years. both great tanks.

I did use metal halides for more than a year, maybe 2 without changing, with no problems. Yes, Metal halides are the best! Thanks for bringing that up!!

I actually saw tanks with amazing coral and zoa growth under those Coralife bulbs from the early 90's. Sexual SPS reproduction and all that for years!!! Those bulbs were called NO T12s back then! That doesn't mean they were the best bulbs too. Just that the owner of that tank knew exactly what he was doing! Not easy nor optimal though!

Understanding what is in light, and what else you may need that your light doesn't give is key. Ie, with led it produces no IR and limited UV, so if you using led, maybe you should have better temperature control.

The point here is to let people know the easiest and safest way to lit the tanks. They will still choose what they want...
Yes, you're right, maybe you should have a better temperature control.
This thread is just to talk about the subject and let people know why I chose to recommend T5s.
Whatever people do is what they will choose... I'm looking for comparisons and observations here.
I'm not looking for flames on neither sides.

MH and T5 also are very forgiving ill agree.
Should I assume you actually had MHs and/or T5s to agree? Sorry, just trying to understand and ask you to bring your pros and cons.

I understand how their made and what they produce. but to say led is not a fine choice for an aquarium is not true, especially id i look to my right and behind me at ,my tanks.

I didn't say they aren't "fine", I'm saying T5s are better.
If you can grow SPS under LEDs they are "fine".
LEDs aren't easier nor better though, that's my point.
That's actually the main point in my first looooong message. Please note...
Did you have T5s before? Would you be able to compare and actually know the comparison? That's why would be great to post your points of comparison in a discussion thread like this... Please do... That's what I think will enrich the thread.;)

MHs, T5s, LEDs, NO T12s, NO T8s, VHOs, PCs... they all grow corals.

or they contain a different and special photon in the visible spectrum that led dont provide is completely opposite of science.
I didn't mean that. I was referring to the way those spectrums are emitted from the fixture from many points, not from one single source. Just an observation.

yea maybe some led are sloppy(o_Olookin at you jbj), but the science of them is still progressing.
But maybe the progress of LEDs won't change much their basic qualities of light. Just maybe.
I'm not talking about 10, 20 or 30 years from now. I'm not sure if I'll be alive by then. LOL!

IR!!!!??? IR you say??? What that got to do with anything?????? Umm well, its part of the electromagnetic spectrum and actually is light.:D No 665nm does not penetrate water well but IR has a longer wavelength. Is so long and penetrates so well, that we used its light to look at the center of our own galaxy.
I didn't mentioned Infra red.
But that would have to do with heat.
I would think that would be mostly related to MHs, as a heat problem.
The heat from MHs warms up the water, of course. Evaporation and/or chiller is the solution.

"IR radiation heats the enclosures and surroundings of incandescent bulbs and other sources, making them hot to the touch. The absence of IR radiation allows LED fixtures to be positioned in locations where heating from conventional sources would cause a particular problem e.g. illuminating food or textiles.

However, crucially, heat is produced within the LED device itself, due to the inefficiency of the semiconductor processes that generate light. The wall-plug efficiency (optical power out divided by electrical power in) of LED packages is typically in the region of 5-40%, meaning that somewhere between 60 and 95% of the input power is lost as heat."

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/articles/2005/05/fact-or-fiction-leds-don-t-produce-heat.html

They do make IR LEDs too... That's another story...

itll be more interesting in the near future to look at corals grown under led t5 and MH and see if there are significant color differences growth patters , and dissect them to look at bone density, pigment concentrations, and zooox content.
Some authors have been suggesting those points in past articles, but no one does such study because they understand the reality of variables they would have to deal with.
That is definitely out of the focus of this thread. :confused:

Thanks very much!!
Hopefully others will join the thread.

I think people needs to hear from actual experiences and comparisons...
The newbies will thank many of you for that!
Please read and reread my first post to note the main thing I'm saying is that T5s are easier and better to deal with than LEDs in the long run.:cool:
Whatever you decide to use is ok. Just play the game.

Aloha,
Grandis.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be starting a educational series on Reef lighting with Tullio Dell Aquila soon. To educate people on all the different types of lighting. There has been advancements in MH tech that removes the disadvantages of using them. But most people don't understand lighting enough to make educated choices. They go with what others use. The problem that has always plagued the hobby is that people only share the good side of using a product and not the whole story many times. An once they go down one path they will defend it to their death.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be starting a educational series on Reef lighting with Tullio Dell Aquila soon. To educate people on all the different types of lighting. There has been advancements in MH tech that removes the disadvantages of using them. But most people don't understand lighting enough to make educated choices. They go with what others use. The problem that has always plagued the hobby is that people only share the good side of using a product and not the whole story many times. An once they go down one path they will defend it to their death.
Because that all work to grow corals they're just different. Led has concerns so do mh. Just like alk and cal dosing sources.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right LED's are still not at the level they need to be at yet. They are not at the plug and grow stage that T5's and MH have been for a while.
There is a lot of work that needs to be done. The problem with LED's is that there is such an easy entry point for manufacturing the lights that hobbyist can make their own fixtures. An you have to fiddle with them to get results.

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Cool read ive ran all three and agree with halides t5 and leds great write up

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome!!! Please let us know where are you going to publish the series...
Would you please give us a bit of info now on the new technologies regarding the metal halides?
I just think that would be great to add some of that to enrich this thread.
I don't use metal halides for a while and would like to learn about of what's going on and coming soon.
Thanks for bring that up!!:)

Grandis.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tullio Dell Aquila who is a lighting engineer by trade and a Reef hobbyist started Reefbrite. While at MACNA in search of lighting to replace my current Radion G3 PRO. I spent time with Tullio talking lighting all three days. One of the benefits of MACNA is that you can spend hours talking about just one topic with an expert in the field you are interested at that time.
Here is the video I did with Tullio:

Here is the webpage with info:
http://www.reefbrite.com/product/reef-brite-halide-hybrid/

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice video! Thanks!
It's getting very interesting!
Would be great to have some more details on the "cool to touch" metal halide system, bulbs, and the ballasts.
Also, some pictures of the spectrums of those double halides, and the cool to touch halides over a tank as well.
Are the double halide bulbs also cool to the touch?
Do the cool halide bulbs have to be in that particular fixture with that ballast?
Please let us know more...

Grandis.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back