LEDs, T5s and MHs for zoas discussion. What are your thoughts?

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the bottom line here is:
WWC is using what they feel it's the best for them right now.
If the deal with the LED company was good and they both can work together, one hand washes the other, right?
Also, for their particular setups those type of lights are better than T5s actually!!!
The T5 fixtures were way too high and they weren't design to be at that distance from the water's surface.
So the LEDs are doing much better for them because it's intensity can actually be controlled and the angle of spot light is actually helping the situation that way.

For the display tanks, similar to what we all have at home, they will have a hard time to adapt and they probably won't achieve the same results as their MH/T5s!! Even if any LED company goes there and help them out, pays them, whatever!! LOL!
It just doesn't have the same quality and distribution from that distance. They all know that deep in their hearts!!;)
They will indeed have to keep some T5s as a "supplement".

But we already know all that, don't we?
Other's have posted such explanation too!
There is nothing more to explain!

I guess WWC can have fun with their set ups and make a new video. We enjoy seeing new videos anyway.
We all understand/respect the need to keep the business for both of the companies.
I'm glad we can post here our opinions though.

Yep, you believe in what you want!
Every moment that goes by I feel more and more sorry for HOME tanks with LEDs...:(

I gotta go back to work... my time is very short now.
You guys have fun discussing...

MH/T5s all the way!!!!!!!!:p

Grandis.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I don't know the exact specs amd research on the difference between each other, but I will say I do have leds on my tank. I had t12 and then got my leds amd never looked back. They bring out so much more color and growth that I had with t12. But the reason I am posting is just something to think about. Technology is always growing is it not? I think it's safe to say most people have the newer cell phones than what we had 5 years ago. I am also willing to bet the new things have more perks or better specs or run more smoothly but in the end they do the same thing, send and receive phone calls or messages. So any is this new technology of leds not capable of doing the same thing as mh or t5? They have proven that they can reach par wise, and can cover a lot of water parameters....the thing about leds now is that they can be controlled...they can be brighter or less bright...either way light is light, just have to make sure is enough light to penetrate the water with the right spectrum as a t5 or mh...not to mention a lot less heat comes off of leds

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously... if you wanted to talk by email you wouldn't have posted here in the first place!!
Now we all want to hear from you. You posted and brought this thread alive again! Thanks for that!
I don't see anything wrong in exposing your thoughts here. Please do so!

You sound like I am personally against you some how. If you really think like that you are wrong! That's not true.

So you bring up WWC's system, and they correct you for being wrong about that, you say things like I quoted below, but also say you are not "personally against them". You basically said you assume their whole system is going to fail because they switched to LED's...
There is absolutely no comparison between MHs/T5s and those LEDs.

I'm very sorry to see such nice systems going south like that.

Sorry to say, but It's all about the money then!
All about the money...

The holding systems will have temporary colonies, but...
Good luck with the display systems in the long run!

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @WWC for sharing your results! Those of us who have been using LEDs for years know they grow coral and do so very well. It's always nice when players in the space with such credibility help support the dissemination of factual information in the face of those who would speak opinions as though they were fact.

goodthingscience.jpg

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you bring up WWC's system, and they correct you for being wrong about that, you say things like I quoted below, but also say you are not "personally against them". You basically said you assume their whole system is going to fail because they switched to LED's...
Please take a time to read the whole thread.
Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @WWC for sharing your results! Those of us who have been using LEDs for years know they grow coral and do so very well. It's always nice when players in the space with such credibility help support the dissemination of factual information in the face of those who would speak opinions as though they were fact.

goodthingscience.jpg
Please go read the whole thread.
They just put those LEDs up!
They just changed those MHs/T5s for the LEDs.

Grandis.

dricc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please take a time to read the whole thread.
Grandis.
I have to say A. Grandis your advice hasn' t been in vain. I was going to buy an led system but switched to a t5 led combo. I am new to reefing and wanted a shorter learning curve. Thanks to you.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... and yes, I only recommend T5s and or MHs for any aquarium. Forget LEDs!
Too much trouble for anyone to deal with and not worthy the money.
Generally speaking there is no LED in the market today I would think would be anything worthy.
Too much money for toy lights.

BUT, whatever! You like LEDs go ahead...

grandis.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... and yes, I only recommend T5s and or MHs for any aquarium. Forget LEDs!
Too much trouble for anyone to deal with and not worthy the money.
Generally speaking there is no LED in the market today I would think would be anything worthy.
Too much money for toy lights.

BUT, whatever! You like LEDs go ahead...

grandis.
We all are well aware of what your opinions are. You seem unconvinced by any fact placed in front of you. Hence the image I posted. The nice thing about facts is it doesn't matter what you think about them. They are still true.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all are well aware of what your opinions are. You seem unconvinced by any fact placed in front of you. Hence the image I posted. The nice thing about facts is it doesn't matter what you think about them. They are still true.
Ive never seen anything quite like it. Also LOL at him telling WWC that their systems are on the decline now.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say A. Grandis your advice hasn' t been in vain. I was going to buy an led system but switched to a t5 led combo. I am new to reefing and wanted a shorter learning curve. Thanks to you.
You're very welcome!
You're not alone, trust me!
Many people came to realize the truth with this thread.
The whole thing was worthy to read so people can decide for themselves.

The sad part is that some still think I'm in a crusade or something. LOL!

Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the truth is that they have their LEDs full intensity in a fashion that you won't!
Wake up, my friend.
Grandis.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never seen anything quite like it. Also LOL at him telling WWC that their systems are on the decline now.

I think the only logical comparison of discussing light sources is discussing politics. 99.9% certain the two sides discussing/arguing will never agree. It is weird though, light is light, he and others make blanket statements that LED's won't work. A few companies that literally rely on corals growing to make a living say that they do, and the response is basically "Nu uh, your systems are going to die". What? How can they counter with nothing more than saying these companies, like WWC, did it for no other reason than to help Ecotech promote their light, and save a few bucks on electricity, just ridiculous.

I can see the point that there are features and controls on many LED fixtures that are superfluous, or overly complex, than simple plug in and turn on lights, and that may be somewhat detrimental to newbies. I agree. I have a 2 channel LED. Don't need more than that because as the Meme goes "Ain't nobody got time fo that". So giving that light to newbie and saying "go nuts" will most likely not end well. Ecotech went out and got a paper published with lighting schedules, problem solved.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the truth is that they have their LEDs full intensity in a fashion that you won't!
Wake up, my friend.
Grandis.
I've run LEDs for nearly a decade with success. As I've said before. And I started with simple neutral white and cool blue CREEs drilled to a heatsink using control circuits I built from scratch. Your insistence on trying to find any one corner that you can put your finger nail under and scratch at is proof you don't care for debate. You just want someone to say you are right. Maybe you can request a "MH and T5 are the Only Good Lights" section and discuss it there.

You may think you are inspiring dialog on the matter but you are not. Your single-mindedness stunts the discussion before it can even begin.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I invite people to read the whole thing and have fun deciding!
I don't really care what anyone decides, really. LOL!

WWC came with their decision to defend their deal with Ecotech paper. That's fine. It's business.
Keep in mind business is business and nothing can go against a propaganda when ANY company wants to make the money. Normal!
They both invested lots there and need the money back! I think that is what is going on too.

My goal here is to expose my thoughts for the home aquariums. Many others had the same bad experience I had with LEDs.
And many are still having!!!
Because some were bringing up coral farms we got the subject changing toward that.
There was no thread talking the real trouble of LEDs for home systems!!! Now you do!

Enjoy the ride boys and girls...

Grandis.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, fine. Feel good now that you've spread your opinion that LEDs are bad and that everyone else but you has an agenda?

You live in Hawaii, stop wasting your time talking about artificial sunlight and go enjoy some of the real stuff. It's cold and there is snow on the ground here.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back