Let’s Mix it Up! Designing and Using a Water Mixing Station

PlanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting thread, I am sure I will learn a lot from the seasoned pros here. Initially I built a rudimentary RODI unit using 55gal barrel, but have yet to finalize the design. Looks like I came across the right thread!

RODI:

SW mixing barrel w/casters:

Need to connect the two, and figure out how to best pump these to my tank. Thinking of hose bib connection using ReeFlow utility pump. Hard plumbing secondary for time being.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I would like to have one pump to mix, push and pull water from the aquarium. Does anyone have a diagram on how to set it up like this.

Corey…here are my initial thoughts for what they’re worth. The first challenge is the vast majority of pumps we use are not self-priming. So in order to pull water from the display, you’ll have to get the pump primed. On my particular station, what I’m about to say will not work because of the locations of my valves, particularly valve #3. But thinking out loud…

In looking at my station, if #3 was moved closer to the outlet of the SW container and not located between valve #6 and the pump (so you end up with a straight shot between #6 and the pump), here’s what I’m thinking will work. Take a hose from #6 to the display. You would need a 2nd hose from valve #2 to your drain.

Start the pump and open the relocated valve #3, but not all the way. The goal is to just prime the pump until it can start pulling from the tank via the hose on valve #6. It may take a minute or so and yes, it will cost you a gallon or two of new salt water, but you should be able to close valve #3 relatively quickly once it’s pulling from the tank.

Hopefully this makes sense to you. Again, I’m just thinking out loud but in my mixes up mind it makes sense and I think it would work.

Just in case anyone asks why I didn’t plumb mine that way, the answer is I remove water from my display via my CL pump. I put a “drain” valve in my CL that I can put a hose on and it pumps water out of my display.
hope

Corey Chism

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corey…here are my initial thoughts for what they’re worth. The first challenge is the vast majority of pumps we use are not self-priming. So in order to pull water from the display, you’ll have to get the pump primed. On my particular station, what I’m about to say will not work because of the locations of my valves, particularly valve #3. But thinking out loud…

In looking at my station, if #3 was moved closer to the outlet of the SW container and not located between valve #6 and the pump (so you end up with a straight shot between #6 and the pump), here’s what I’m thinking will work. Take a hose from #6 to the display. You would need a 2nd hose from valve #2 to your drain.

Start the pump and open the relocated valve #3, but not all the way. The goal is to just prime the pump until it can start pulling from the tank via the hose on valve #6. It may take a minute or so and yes, it will cost you a gallon or two of new salt water, but you should be able to close valve #3 relatively quickly once it’s pulling from the tank.

Hopefully this makes sense to you. Again, I’m just thinking out loud but in my mixes up mind it makes sense and I think it would work.

Just in case anyone asks why I didn’t plumb mine that way, the answer is I remove water from my display via my CL pump. I put a “drain” valve in my CL that I can put a hose on and it pumps water out of my display.
hope

Thanks. I really appreciate your reply and input. I am going to try this when I set mine up. Any ideas on a good pump that can push water about 50ft. It will be a straight level shot from the mixing station to the tank.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I really appreciate your reply and input. I am going to try this when I set mine up. Any ideas on a good pump that can push water about 50ft. It will be a straight level shot from the mixing station to the tank.

I happened to have had an older Little Giant pump I wasn't using when I set mine up. I think it's around 1,325 gph and I pump about 35' to the tank. So I would recommend anything in the 1,300 to 1,800 gph range that can be run externally. Smaller will work as well, it will just take longer to refill the display during water changes - which may or may not be a big deal to you.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size pump/GPH is used to mix the saltwater?

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an older Little Giant pump lying around, which is rated at 1,350 +/- gph, so that is what I used.

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These have been free shipping for as long as I can remember. :)

I believe they are drop shipped from the manufacturer which takes more time, apparently.

FWIW, despite the company saying 4 to 6 week delivery, they arrived in a week.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, despite the company saying 4 to 6 week delivery, they arrived in a week.

Was it in fact free shipping? I ask because I told a friend about RK based on your post. He tried to order to 225g vertical tanks and was told it wouldn't be free shipping. It was probably due to their size.

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it in fact free shipping? I ask because I told a friend about RK based on your post. He tried to order to 225g vertical tanks and was told it wouldn't be free shipping. It was probably due to their size.

Yup, it was free shipping. They came wrapped just in plastic, not even a cardboard box, so I'm thinking they might have been right up against the UPS (or FedEx, can't remember which) maximum size.

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frankenstation. I love it!
IMG_6078.JPG
IMG_6080.JPG
IMG_6079.JPG
IMG_6081.JPG

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually picked them up. That store "tractor supply" carried a lot of different sizes. I live in the NYC suburbs so as you could imagine, there arent any tractor supply's nearby. But there was one by West Point, so I took the fam and made a day out of it. Was only a 1 1/2 hr drive. Im sure the stores are more plentiful in more rural places.
The shelving and mounting board I bought at HD. I was able to purchase and put everything together in a weekend.

JBradford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! This is what I pictured in my mind for my station with some minor difference, but I really like it.

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! This is what I pictured in my mind for my station with some minor difference, but I really like it.

Thank you! Yeah, its an easy sell for the wife too lol... the shelving unit provides storage for bulk household stuff.

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problems with the hose or metal faucets leaching anything? How long have you been using this for water changes?

The hose is a marine/rv hose that is drinking water safe. You cant use a traditional garden hose. Think I paid like $17 at Walmart. I cut the brass hose ends off when I bought the hose and replaced with plastic repair ends.
The spigots or "faucets" are pvc. I left no stone unturned lol.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 55 49.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 61 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.1%
Back