Let’s Mix it Up! Designing and Using a Water Mixing Station

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes it's a Pinpoint Salinity monitor.

The connection is just the one that comes in hose. I didn't cut it off or replace. It's attached to a 3/4 slip to 1/2 threaded hose adapter.

The hose is through 50ft. RV hose from Walmart which cost 17.95 same ones cost about 30 other places.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started on my stand today and the frame!

IMG_3170.JPG

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, almost everything has come in and has been assembled except for my two 1'' Spears Gate Vales which will be on each side between the 1'' pipe and the spigot x street 90's. That's where my gate valves will be installed so at any giving point I will be able to grab some fresh RODI water or saltwater from each Brute container. Also, instead of having the Cepex ball Valve where I am going to be connecting my Marine & RV 1/2'' 25ft hose, I will be using a 1/2'' Spears Gate valve with the Cam Lever Quick to Connect my 1/2'' in size hose. Order 1 more spigot to street 45 to put inside my Brute salt container to there is one on each side. Next, I have to Glue everything together. I am going to be using a product called WELD -ON! 1ST I will use there Weld On - Plumbing Primer - then finish up with the Weld -On Heavy Duty PVC Cement Gray to match up with my fittings. Then my last step will be building my stand. I bought 6 cinder blocks and 5 two by 4's for my frame. After I get the frame completed I will just be screwing down a pcs of 1'' thick pcs of plywood and then this operation Saltwater mixing station will be completed. Here a few pixs to show you how it turned out before I start gluing everything together. My total cost ending up being around $1250.00 for my Mixing station! Please feel free to let me know your thoughts?
Many thanks,
FLSharkvictim

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 6.38.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 6.37.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 6.37.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 6.37.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 8.54.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 6.00.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 6.02.07 PM.png

I like your design, it is very similar to what I did (a few posts above). Of course, I didn't use cool orange PVC, and I used 55 gallon barrels instead of Brute cans, but otherwise, very similar...

Not sure what your output is on that pump, but what I found was the extra 90 degree angles coming out towards the front reduced my flow to the point it was not as quick as I would like. I needed to move it to do some work, and when I put it back together, I brought the bottom output lines out straight across from each other so I eliminated all of the 90's, and just had a "T" in the middle in front of the pump.

Otherwise, definitely I nice setup, and I am sure it will work out great for you!

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jazzmik - I will also, be adding the Pinpoint Salinity module to my saltwater barrel as well as the WON BROTHER PH D-1500 Temperature controller.
Just to make sure that the temp is on the money and the salinity before i transfers the fresh mixed salt water to my display.

Won-Brothers-PH-D-1500-Temperature-Controller-99.jpg

Squawk1200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this station up for two years now. This has been the best investment I've ever made. I have it plumed to deliver salt water straight to my sump for water changes. I use the same pump to mix the salt. RO/DI water goes into the top tank and is gravity fed to the bottom. I have two heaters in the bottom tank. My ceiling is just over 10', so this was the best space saving design to keep the wife happy. Not having to mix 45 gallon of salt water in buckets for a water change makes me happy.

IMG_1650.JPG
IMG_1651.JPG
IMG_1653.JPG
IMG_1652.JPG
IMG_1655.JPG
IMG_1654.JPG

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FLSharkvictim Gotta say I'm hating that Pinpoint salinity monitor. Have to calibrate each use, which means opening up the battery compartment, finding a lens screw driver to adjust the small screwhead, etc... PIA!

Now that I've used the mixing station a few times the one thing I wish I did was add the extra union(s) to get water out into a bucket without using any hoses or pumps.
Just for when I need a couple gallons of either for whatever reason. So for anyone else setting up go the extra and add 2 'emergency' drains.

How are folks pumping/siphoning water out of tank/sump? I bought a Sicce 2.0 that I figured I could plugin and drop into sump when I needed to get water out but still need some hosing for that.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
img_2436-jpg.475945

I am not quite finished with mine yet. Hoping to put the finishing touches on it this weekend. Plan is for gravity fill to ATO, and Salt mixing container with a hose. Using a Eheim 1262 to move water from the Brutte to the sump. I am so excited to get this project done!

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Excellent point and it was mentioned in the article. If you go back to the picture on the first page, valves #5 and #6 are used for non-pump activities. Also available when the pump fails. I use them when I need a little water, say when dipping.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to save space and use gravity, I made mine stacked. The Roto-Mold container I got used from another reefer and it came with the Panworld pump and a bunch of bulkheads already in place. Some I had to plug. But the top bulkhead was handy as an emergency overflow drain - I ran the tube down through the wall, crawlspace and outside to the french drains just like the RODI wastewater line. One of my favorite features is the remote control for the pump. I can pull the hose into the house with the valve closed at the end, open at the source, and then when I have it in place I can start pumping saltwater with the push of a button. RODI is gravity fed to wherever it needs to go. I managed to find plastic fittings/quick releases for everything but I don't remember all the sources. Some connections are pretty kludged together but they work.
Pictures are best of course!

IMG_4741.JPG IMG_4738.JPG IMG_4739.JPG IMG_4737.JPG IMG_4736.JPG IMG_4852.JPG IMG_6721.JPG IMG_6722.JPG IMG_6723.JPG

IMG_4740.JPG

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to save space and use gravity, I made mine stacked. The Roto-Mold container I got used from another reefer and it came with the Panworld pump and a bunch of bulkheads already in place. Some I had to plug. But the top bulkhead was handy as an emergency overflow drain - I ran the tube down through the wall, crawlspace and outside to the french drains just like the RODI wastewater line. One of my favorite features is the remote control for the pump. I can pull the hose into the house with the valve closed at the end, open at the source, and then when I have it in place I can start pumping saltwater with the push of a button. RODI is gravity fed to wherever it needs to go. I managed to find plastic fittings/quick releases for everything but I don't remember all the sources. Some connections are pretty kludged together but they work.
Pictures are best of course!

IMG_4741.JPG IMG_4738.JPG IMG_4739.JPG IMG_4737.JPG IMG_4736.JPG IMG_4852.JPG IMG_6721.JPG IMG_6722.JPG IMG_6723.JPG

IMG_4740.JPG

Are you concerned at all about that brass fitting?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you concerned at all about that brass fitting?
Thanks, there are two. One at the water supply from the wall, which is before RODI, so not worried about that one. The 2nd is at the emergency overflow for the RODI container. So far it has never gotten wet and hopefully never will. Even if it does that water just goes out to the ground.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2471.JPG
IMG_2469.JPG
I got all the plumbing done this weekend. The hose is hanging hidden beside the brute container. The ro d/i line is run up the ceiling to the top of the rotomold container. And the outlet is gravity drain with a hose to fill ATO bucket and other things as needed. I am so excited to have this project completed!

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to try something like this but I have a few questions for someone who has had one up and running a while. The white farm supply containers, How hard are they to clean? Seems like the lids on them are pretty small. How do you get in there to scrub them out? I clean my brute trash can about every 4-5 batches, otherwise it gets kind of slimy. Any problems with growth over time? Seems like since they are opaque, algae and stuff would want to grow in there over time. I was looking for a container like that, with a larger opening so I can get in there to scrub it out and I cant find one. I was looking for something like that over a brute trash can system because I don't trust a uniseal. I have had a few of those start to leak on me whereas a bulkhead I haven't had any problems thus far.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to try something like this but I have a few questions for someone who has had one up and running a while. The white farm supply containers, How hard are they to clean? Seems like the lids on them are pretty small. How do you get in there to scrub them out? I clean my brute trash can about every 4-5 batches, otherwise it gets kind of slimy. Any problems with growth over time? Seems like since they are opaque, algae and stuff would want to grow in there over time. I was looking for a container like that, with a larger opening so I can get in there to scrub it out and I cant find one. I was looking for something like that over a brute trash can system because I don't trust a uniseal. I have had a few of those start to leak on me whereas a bulkhead I haven't had any problems thus far.

If the rotomold containers are set up side by side at ground level you will be able to clean them out easily enough as the opening is plenty big enough for a mop head. Well mine is anyway.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the picture in the first post, I have unions that I can disconnect my plumbing from either container very easily. I then take them to the driveway when it's time for a cleaning. Yes, the opening is small (ish) but I have a long handled scrub brush that I can reach the lower section with easily.

Mine are located in our laundry room so not a lot of direct light so I have experienced no algae issues personally. And remember, they are more opaque than they are clear.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back