Lets see some sumps

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of creating a sump out of a 40 breeder, I was interested in what some sumps looked like. If you have any cool modifications, they earn bonus points ;)

Im think about having a section for return pipes that overflows into a filter sock, section for protein skimmer, section for refugium and one for the return pump. I am thinking of putting rubble rock into the section that gets the water from the tank itself. I am in the process of attempting to draw one now.

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the process of making my 40 breeder sump too, but I can tell you 4 section will be hard to manage. A refugium really doesn't do anything at the size/scale most hobbyists do them at (you need about the same volume as the tank to be a true refugium and see the benefits from it) however its still cool to have and i plan on having a small one in my sump just to house my mantis.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the process of making my 40 breeder sump too, but I can tell you 4 section will be hard to manage. A refugium really doesn't do anything at the size/scale most hobbyists do them at (you need about the same volume as the tank to be a true refugium and see the benefits from it) however its still cool to have and i plan on having a small one in my sump just to house my mantis.
Mantis shrimp?! That'd be so cool! I guess ultimately Im not really sure what I want to do with it exactly. Maybe a deep sand bed with worm sand macro algae and pods some live rock.. not really sure either. If you are talking about a mantis shrimp, are you worried he will break the glass?

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say breaking the glass is a very misunderstood idea about mantis shrimps.

The only reason they attack the glass is from people instigating it, imo. They're too smart to intentionally break the glass.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say breaking the glass is a very misunderstood idea about mantis shrimps.

The only reason they attack the glass is from people instigating it, imo. They're too smart to intentionally break the glass.

Im sorry I am not really familiar with them, other than reading up on them slightly after lfs visit. Thats really cool though.

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the resources to house one, I'd highly recommend it. Probably one of the smartest pets I've had, short of a dog.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 40b sump on my 180

20160722_011705.jpg

20160722_011624.jpg

20160722_011551.jpg

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the resources to house one, I'd highly recommend it. Probably one of the smartest pets I've had, short of a dog.
Well we do have a lot in common with a new sump.. Possibly :p How does one even transport it from an lfs?!?

Betty1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is 240 gallons. Water leaves the center section (about 80 gallons) through the wall to the display tank via a Vorteck L1. On one end, water comes into a refugium ( about 80 gallons) and flows over a baffle to the return section. On the other end (also about 80 gallons), I have four filter socks, a protein skimmer and a drain for water changes. This flows through a double baffle to the center section. The protein skimmer cup is drilled with a 1/4" tubing so it drains into a gallon jug on the floor.

Right now, the sump is running in a recirculation mode as our large display tank cracked. The replacement should be arriving around the twentieth. Then we will have a 265 gallon display with a 240 sump.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is 240 gallons. Water leaves the center section (about 80 gallons) through the wall to the display tank via a Vorteck L1. On one end, water comes into a refugium ( about 80 gallons) and flows over a baffle to the return section. On the other end (also about 80 gallons), I have four filter socks, a protein skimmer and a drain for water changes. This flows through a double baffle to the center section. The protein skimmer cup is drilled with a 1/4" tubing so it drains into a gallon jug on the floor.

Right now, the sump is running in a recirculation mode as our large display tank cracked. The replacement should be arriving around the twentieth. Then we will have a 265 gallon display with a 240 sump.
Would love some pictures!

Darrick Dutcher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon sump packed with live rock and an 80 gallon frag tank in the basement. A few bells and whistles but not near as fancy as some others.

Sump.JPG

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question that might be really silly.. But so for example, say you don't want water to continue to flow from the overflow into your tank, is there a way to stop this? I guess Im usually pictures valves on both pipes.. but I am probably wrong. Nice design either way!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 55g with a huge refugium section. I split the filter socks so I could put the skimmer pump in between the socks, by doing so I saved a few inches for the refugium. Don't know if everyone does it, but I ran pvc downpipes into the filter socks pass the water line; its dead silent.

IMG_20161016_081826.jpg

IMG_20161016_081925.jpg

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 55g with a huge refugium section. I split the filter socks so I could put the skimmer pump in between the socks, by doing so I saved a few inches for the refugium. Don't know if everyone does it, but I ran pvc downpipes into the filter socks pass the water line; its dead silent.

IMG_20161016_081826.jpg

IMG_20161016_081925.jpg
Really cool! I was curious if a protein skimmer really needs a different section from the socks.. guess this answers that!

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats so nice! any problems with corrosion when keeping the electronics that close to the sump?

Thanks! A lot of time and effort went into the sump, I'm pretty happy with it.

No corrosion at all! What helps out a lot is the open design of the stand I believe. Air is constantly moving thru out.

It blows my mind this is a real sump. I'm very impressed. I need to work on cleaning as much as you do. Any tips? haha

I clean it quite often, at least once every couple weeks. It's pretty easy to keep up with once you figure out a routine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back