Let's talk protein skimmers and tank cycling/rock curing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FAQ #30: Should I run my protein skimmer during my tank cycle, and while curing rock?

I've always ran my skimmer during a cycle to help combat the massive amount of crud that is going to be breaking down in the water column (especially if you are curing rock in the tank at the same time), but I'm curious to hear your thoughts. Do you think it's a good idea?

FishLover01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hummm...this has me thinking. Thanks for bringing this up. If you're doing a fishless cycle using pure ammonia, Is it possible that a protein skimmer could remove some of the ammonia thus causing the tank to take longer to get thru the cycle? I know protein skimmers can remove some chemicals but I'm not sure about ammonia. Thoughts anyone?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hummm...this has me thinking. Thanks for bringing this up. If you're doing a fishless cycle using pure ammonia, Is it possible that a protein skimmer could remove some of the ammonia thus causing the tank to take longer to get thru the cycle? I know protein skimmers can remove some chemicals but I'm not sure about ammonia. Thoughts anyone?

Possibly a very small fraction just in the little bit of water that is in the foam that spills over the lip of the cup. Skimmers really only move organic particles in mass though, so if you were "ghost" feeding your tank to start the cycle it's possible a good portion of the food could be removed.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thing is I’m afraid to remove to much food with the skimmer leaving the beneficial bacteria with too little to reproduce.

Keep your eyes out for tomorrow's "Dry Rock Cycling Mistakes" video which Ryan and I cover this in one of the bullets. Basically the main concern for running your skimmer when cycling should be more focused on immediately (first 10-30mins) after dosing a bacterial additive when the bacteria are more likely to be free floating in the water column.

I would be far less concerned about a skimmer completely stripping a cycling tank of any food/fuel source for microscopic bacteria, especially since a skimmer's effectiveness at waste removal is probably very far from 100% efficiency. Keeping in mind that microscopic bacteria likely have far less nutritional needs than a full sized fish and "starving" them would probably take some considerable effort.

Back