Lets Talk Substrates for the Marine Aquarium

1. Fish_BowLisha

Fish_BowLisha Well-Known Member

One question I have is, after cycling old dried sand from a friends tank is it ok to bolster my existing SSB as long as I stay under the 2" depth?and add gradually? In other words, has anyone done this before?

2. Fish_BowLisha

I've only read of LR doing this...let me know what you find out.

3. jazonPartij

jazonPartij Well-Known Member

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438434751.614555.jpg

I just set up my first tank and I hate how the substrate is being built up to one side. I've tried every putting the wave makers in every direction. Any suggestions? I want to figure this out before adding any fish or coral.

4. Fish_BowLisha

I'm not familiar with gyre's but the pump lowest in the tank could be placed higher and aimed at a slight downward angle. With two pumps you can aim them towards each other head on or have one point towards the opposite corner and have the other point towards its opposite corner. It looks like you have a safe beta goal a out of sand. So just keep playing with the pumps until you get less direct flow on the sandbed.

5. Kurt Copeland

Kurt Copeland Well-Known Member

Wow. I had about eight questions to ask this morning and got seven of them answered by discovering this sight and reading this one article/thread by itself. I am new to marine aquariums but have had freshwater tanks ages ago and wanted to get back into the hobby but doing it right with a marine tank. Yesterday afternoon, I went ahead and cleaned out a 20-gal. tank, bought a new 45-gal. back-hanging filter, set it up and started running the filter, adding the appropriate water preparation chemicals, de-chlorination, etc.

Now, I want to have about three to four inches of sand and I bought a bag the guy at the store recommended: Caribbean Live Sand from CaribSea Ocean Direct. Is this the stuff I should be using or is there a better product you would recommend?

Also, I have heard it needs to be washed and then I have heard it shouldn't. So, should I wash the sand before pouring it into the tank? Also, it has a pack of some "Bio Magnet Bacteria" included in the bag. Do I use this and, if so, how would I apply it since I already have water in the tank and plan on basically pouring the sand onto the bottom. (The tank is, at this point, just water (obviously) and I want to gradually introduce sand, living rock, cleaners and fish over time to build it up and do it right without any drastic changes on any given day.

Thanks for helping out with my newbie questions!

Azarus likes this.
  6. Fish_BowLisha

Some brands are better than others, but I do believe that is the brand recommended and sold by "bulk reef supply" you can google there sight and check it out. If that is what they sell than you can use it safely. I think really the only issue is wether or not you get what you are paying for with the different brands...some are not "live" by the time we purchase them. The bacteria package can be added straight to the water with the sand. If you open the bag and empty it into the bottom of the tank you should have less cloudiness. Some people rinse it because they ar trying to lessen the cloudiness of the tank once they add the sand.

Kurt Copeland likes this.
  7. thedru13

thedru13 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

So been doing a ton of reading on substrate. I am starting up again after a few failed tanks over the years. Have always had a sand bed. Used Live Fiji Pink Live sand 3 inches in my RSM250 65g reef tank. I am just setting up the tank now. I have 75lbs of dry rock to go in the tank. I am on the fence as to if I want to go BB or SSB. My goal is to have LPS corals and some fish. With my tank I don't have a sump so everything is in the tank. 2 pumps and the skimmer. I have a MP40 as well for added flow. I want to create a healthy system that will support good coral growth. Why i was leaning towards BB instead of going the sand route again. But after reading everything just not sure what is the best route for my particular set up to obtain the type of reef i want. would love to hear some opinions.. Thanks.

8. Devon93274

Devon93274 Well-Known Member

I mixed 40lbs of live black sand with 20 pounds of dry black send in my 50 gallon. I'm very satisfied

9. Devon93274

Yes

10. Devon93274

Turn pumps and wave makers off. After messing with send. Give your aqurium like 10 to 20 minutes before turning them back on.

11. Devon93274

Great Idea

12. Ron Stewart

Ron Stewart Member

Thanks for your write up very informative. So for a healthy LSB you are suggesting 3-6" I was thinking of doing a mix of aragonite and cured LS to cut down on costs but don't want to cut my critter load.

13. MonsterMike313

MonsterMike313 Member

Hi I've been in this hobby now for about a year now just kind of wondering on what I should do differently with my tank im in need of help so I can work my way up to a healthy fun tank I mean it looks great now but advice and input is greatly appreciated thank you!!! ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452766900.315936.jpg ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452766924.948217.jpg ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452766943.162543.jpg ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452766968.892883.jpg ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452766988.601001.jpg ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452767004.855802.jpg ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452767020.692062.jpg ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452767033.961461.jpg ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452767055.452549.jpg ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452767072.139107.jpg ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452767086.392748.jpg ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452767101.881872.jpg

14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Following

15. John kennington

John kennington Well-Known Member

DO NOT USE TAPWATER. there is much bigger problems in tap water than chlorine. Silicates, nitrates, phosphates. You will see huge problems. RO/DI is best.

16. John kennington

17. John kennington

You mentioned dechlorinater. Which leads me to believe you are using tap water to start off with? Use RO/DI water. The packet of bio magnet, just pour it in the tank. I like to fill the tank with water then add the sand. No pumps running, just let it settle first. I wouldn't wash it either. Some do some don't. Hope it helps.

Kurt Copeland likes this.
  18. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Member

Getting back to the subject of substrates, one other advantage of using some "white" substrate is that it will reflect some light back up to the coral from below. I have found that this helps limit the die off of shaded areas especially on SPS corals.

19. Wayneb332

Wayneb332 Well-Known Member

Very good article and well written. I try to siphon off different areas with water changes. I have noticed recently doing this there is allot of feather dusters. They are everywhere.

20. brandon429

brandon429 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award