Lets Talk Substrates for the Marine Aquarium

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, ValiantJared!

I think that's the implication they make for Marine Pure . . .

I've got two of them for my in-progress 220 build, one of which has been stewing in the sump of the 65 for a couple of months now. (I may move that one to a 75-gallon QT, along with all my fish, as I've seen a few spots that might be ich - and I want an Acanthurus or two in the 220.) Once the 220 is wet, I plan on one block in the sump (high flow) and one hidden under the rockwork in the display as a low-flow / denitrifying zone. I'll let folks know how it works out!

~Bruce

ValiantJared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah since ill be working with a nano AIO tank there wont be much room for biological filtration, this seems like a good solution to the problem

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look how clean a sandbed can be, it makes an aquarium ageless to keep them this clean, 11 yrs in this set here

24 hours later
IMG_20170213_153721691-picsay.jpg

Its cloudless, disturbing my sandbed yields no danger at all, no food for algae, no recycle risk yet it still assists in aerobic filtration capacity for the micro system.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this problem in fresh water and its probably to strong of flow, nitrfying bacteria bloom, or tiny bubbles you can't individually see. If its too strong flow turn it down. If its bacteria then I will go away by the time your cycle is done and if its bubbles then turn off everything in the aquarium and leave it over night. If you try the last thing remember your live rock because no flow could kill it but it should be fine.
Hope this helps

Crab Dynasty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very informative forum on the subject. It is difficult to get new sand to not cloud the water. If the sand is real fine, it can take many filtration cycles. We go bare bottom in our tanks where we harvest soft shell crabs.

123sct.jpg
maryland-soft-shell-crabs.jpg

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've spent the better part of the last week reading up on dsb, ssb, Paul B's reverse ugf, the Kansas City Chiefs, blueberry cheesecake, and any other shiny object that's distracted me. I'm essentially no closer to understanding substrates.

When I set up my off the shelf 55 I had no idea what I was doing. I added a little of this and a lot of that. 14 months later I have a great understanding of my fish, my anemones (3 bta and 1 lta), and some of the less intricate aspects of the hobby.. I Do, however, have sand storms on and off throughout the day. Sugar grain sand, 2 gyre pumps, and a diamond goby make sure of that. I've been emailing Crystal Dynamics about a custom 60x24x26 or 60x30x24 rimless. As such, I want to go into this build as prepared as possible for long term success.

Finally, my question(s). If I plop down 1-2" of substrate and hit it with a baster 1-2 times a week, can I have long term success? The dsb guys say no, the ssb crew says yes, I refuse to go bb because I'm not about that life. Is there a black substrate fine enough for gobies/wrasses yet coarse enough for high flow? Do the Chiefs have any shot in winning the Superbowl? Last one was obviously a pipe dream.. Those questions may be elementary but man, everyone has everything to say about one over the other. Me? I personally prefer cake over pie but I just want a tank that, with some elbow grease, I can enjoy for years to come...

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, my question(s). If I plop down 1-2" of substrate and hit it with a baster 1-2 times a week, can I have long term success?

It works for me but I only do that once or twice a year. I use a diatom filter, a baster is too gentle of a way to make a typhoon :rolleyes:

I did it yesterday during a water change.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the diatom filter I use is a Vortex.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I saw those on Amazon and will pick one up. I feel like you might know a thing or two about running a reef. Now, is this done with or without listening to rap?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want the aragonite, which will help to buffer your pH, and provide a natural environment for nitrifying bacteria and many of your cleanup crew. The "National Geographic" sand is likely to be a quartz substrate, intended for freshwater environments. (National Geographic, as a brand, gets a lot less respect from me, after putting their golden frames onto the mediocre stuff sold through Petsmart....)

~Bruce

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am slowly setting up my FOWLR.. Which substrate do I need to get? Not really interested in "Live Sand" Because I am starting everything new.

I use premium play sand from lowe's, home depot, Walmart, etc

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beach sand. That will work. Just remember that any sand will contain things other than sand. How much and what depends on where the sand comes from.

James Starr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the great information. I am new to the hobby and I am setting up a 108 gallon display and got 160lbs of carribsea special blend. So 2 part question should I add the sand and then the water, and is that amount enough for a dsb?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the great information. I am new to the hobby and I am setting up a 108 gallon display and got 160lbs of carribsea special blend.
So 2 part question should I add the sand and then the water, Yes, sand and water. First rinse the sand, then rise it again then rinse it one more time. Its a pain but better now out of the tank than later.
Is that amount enough for a dsb? We need to know measurements of the tank. Once you have that there are calculators out there that tell you how many lbs sand it takes to make 1" deep .

James Starr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's live sand won't I rinse the good bacteria off? I wouldn't even know how to go about rinsing sand never mind 160lbs

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 69 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.9%

Back