Light Friendly Clear Mesh Screen Cover for Open Top Tanks-Standard/Rimless-w/Pictures

sailfintang

CMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I bowed the aluminum screen frame for a bow front tank:

1. Create a bow front template from wood or other material. I had glass tops that originally came with my tank. the thicker the template easier you will be able to make the bow.

IMG_5721.jpg

2. Start bending from one end and work your way to the other end. DO NOT BEND DIRECTLY IN THE MIDDLE!!!! Why? Because you will get a kink in the aluminum for sure.

IMG_5724.jpg

3. It will take some pressure or clamps to hold the rod to the template to get a precide curve. In the end it will look like this;

IMG_5731.jpg

IMG_5727.jpg

4. Complete the fram and roll the netting in:

IMG_5733.jpg

NOTE: You will need to cut one corner connecter almost all the way through to allow for an angle greater than 90 degrees.

FINISHED PRODUCT:

IMG_5735.jpg

IMG_5736.jpg

OP
OP
Acroholic

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfintang,
What a great write up. I'm going to refer people to your post for bowfronts, as I get questions about them regularly. I haven't made any bow tops, just square/rectangular ones.
Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
Acroholic

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick picture of my 60 gallon with the mesh top. You can take any piece of thin plastic that is bendable, bend it in a "U" shape, and use a dab of liquid epoxy to attach it and instant handle. Makes it easier to remove for feeding, etc.

I used a small piece of the plastic that fits on the back of glass aquarium tops.

If anyone needs mesh, please PM me.
Thanks.
Dave

Attachments

• Picture 111.jpg
    Picture 111.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 585

sailfintang

CMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfintang,
What a great write up. I'm going to refer people to your post for bowfronts, as I get questions about them regularly. I haven't made any bow tops, just square/rectangular ones.
Dave

Feel free. My first one was a little off, but the second one came out well. I would be more than happy to provide some tips and suggestions. Now my wrasse collection will be safe and can grow.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U sure u don't have a chalice/ lps obession too . Nice clean tanks. Ur main display took my breath for a few . I use a screen but mine is black . Since it is one layer does anyone feel it diffuses the light ?

OP
OP
Acroholic

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U sure u don't have a chalice/ lps obession too . Nice clean tanks. Ur main display took my breath for a few . I use a screen but mine is black . Since it is one layer does anyone feel it diffuses the light ?

I think it would, but remember I sell the mesh, so my opinion may be biased!!!:wink: I made my first one out of the HD black mesh in one layer and I could see a difference (halides). If you are fine with it no problem, but it was really more the being able to see the lines than the possible decrease in PAR that bugged me.
Dave

Who Dah?

Exoticfrags.us
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the 24" rimmed cube from before, but use an over-the-top return. In my case, it is because I'm a SeaSwirl fan.
:D

(No fronting in these shots. I see salt creep, you see salt creep. :D )

Bracket for the Sea Swirl:
IMG_0819.jpg

Both brackets in place:
IMG_0818.jpg

Tennis Racket:
IMG_0817.jpg

woot2.gif

xraided199

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VERY nice job, im impressed. my boy jus made one of these out of black bird wire, and it did allow much more light into the tank than the eggcrate top he used to have. very very nice work on this, it looks extremely clean and neat

OP
OP
Acroholic

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last couple posts look great. What I like as well about these mesh tops is that thy don't look homemade if you do it carefully. Whodah's solution with the acrylic looks great.
Dave

aceklub11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tops can be hard to remove if they are in the recessed edges of a top trimmed tank. I cut a piece of that plastic splash guard that comes with glass tops, and attached it with a dab of 2-part epoxy for a handle. makes taking it off for feeding a lot easier.
Dave

Hi, are you still selling the mesh netting????

BIG FISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking for some mesh

hey I was wondering if you might still have some of that mesh or were I could get some in smaller quantities any help would be cool.I really like your thread the tops look awesome.Thanks PJ

OP
OP
Acroholic

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey I was wondering if you might still have some of that mesh or were I could get some in smaller quantities any help would be cool.I really like your thread the tops look awesome.Thanks PJ

Hi PJ,
I replied to your PM...LMK if you have any other questions.
Dave

whip1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love mine too we covered 2 tanks with them so far. on the 180 the Mh are 3 inches from this mesh and it doesn't melt or even get warm yet these same lights melted a center brace on a differant tank within minutes. I put this mesh on even before I put fish in the new tank:)
love it Thanks Dave.
005-16.jpg

OP
OP
Acroholic

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love mine too we covered 2 tanks with them so far. on the 180 the Mh are 3 inches from this mesh and it doesn't melt or even get warm yet these same lights melted a center brace on a differant tank within minutes. I put this mesh on even before I put fish in the new tank:)
love it Thanks Dave.
005-16.jpg

Glad you like it, and very glad to help.
Best,
Dave

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my mesh today (Thanks Acro) and I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow. I should have a lid soon. :bigsmile:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back