Lighting for parameter testing

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I'm sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find it. What lighting should I be using to view test results on my test kits? I mostly use salifert.
Also I need to know more due to my wife having to read the result as I am colorblind and all she does is says it looks like that one lol. I have florescent lights in my kitchen and mostly led elsewhere but some are daylight and some are bright white. Thanks in advance for responses

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I'm sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find it. What lighting should I be using to view test results on my test kits? I mostly use salifert.
Also I need to know more due to my wife having to read the result as I am colorblind and all she does is says it looks like that one lol. I have florescent lights in my kitchen and mostly led elsewhere but some are daylight and some are bright white. Thanks in advance for responses

I like to stand by the window and use natural sunlight when I can. That being said, I've never heard of any particular light source being best for reading the results. Just spit balling here, but I would guess using a consistant light source (same light source each time), would be more important for consistency than whether it's a "warm white" bulb or a "cool white" bulb.
But I'm sure someone will jump in with the best colour temperature light to get the most accurate reading shortly. Tagging along to maybe learn something :)

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always get the best readings (when compared to lab testing) when I read under cool white fluorescent bulbs. I find warm light especially misleading when reading a test kit that involves pink/red.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second both posts, in the lighting being cool and consistent.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would find it most interesting if a red/green colourblind person would test a monochromatic light for such tests. For example a green or red led. (Flashlite)
The colorimeters (Hanna Checker is using green led) is using it so I think it is a chance that at least the titration tests (kH, Ca, Mg) could be possible.

OP
OP
tcarter1936

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would find it most interesting if a red/green colourblind person would test a monochromatic light for such tests. For example a green or red led. (Flashlite)
The colorimeters (Hanna Checker is using green led) is using it so I think it is a chance that at least the titration tests (kH, Ca, Mg) could be possible.
Me to, I actually had a contact lens with a red filter that was prescribed to me and it made things look different but my big issue is I've went 33 years thinking colors looked one way so in respect to the way my brain identifies the color I was still confused. Plus I gave me wicked headaches so I flicked it down the toilette.
I like the idea of the color light I will try it asap.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back