Lighting Upgrade Acclimation

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going from 192 watts of PC to a total of 350 watts of 10,000K halides, and 96 watts of Actinic PC lighting.

What is the best way to ease the tank into the new lighting without cokking my corals???

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put some multi layers of screen over the tank and slowly increase the photo period while taking a layer of screen off like every other ever 2 days...How high off the tank is the lights gonna be?

OP
OP
Stixbaraca

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by screen do you mean like for a screen door or window? I will have to remeasure to make sure, but I think like 7" off the water.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with window screen in several layers. When i went from 175W to 250W DE's, I had to do it very slowly and still burned some acros. I started with 5 hour photoperiods and slowly increased over about three weeks, with shading. I don't know of any 175W'ers that will blast and bleach like the 250W DE AB 10K's, so that is an extreme change, though. Start slow and watch your corals with slow changes. If they start to show bad signs, slow down the acclimation. I tend to go very slowly when doing something like that, just to be safe (but I do alot of redundant things in the name of caution...).

AngieN.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used about screen material when I upgraded from 96w PC to 250w DE. Light is about 9" from water surface. I used about 5 layers and took a layer off about every 3rd day. Everything handled it well. I would just do it slowly as suggested by gflat.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to think about, too is that distance off of water doesn't really mean a whole lot. Air is not a very restrictive medium for light (esp. when compared to water). The two main things you change by changing the position of the lights (within reason-raising them 5 feet over the tank is going to spread much of the light before it hits the tank, so it wil be much dimmer, etc.) is the amount of heat added to the tank from the lights and the spread of the light. Water is a much larger variable in light reduction, so the distance from the surface of the water to the coral is much more telling than the distance from the lights to the water. Hope that helps in some way...

sr71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good pointers, I am considering change my lights from pc to mh soon. I currently have 65x4 260w pc now but don't run all 4 the whole time. I only run 4 hrs with all four bulbs. Now if I change to one 250w MH that is going to be on the whole photo period, is that going to make any difference? The wattage is about the same or less when I swap. TIA

Seng

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stix, do you have alot of sps or something? what brand of 10k did you get?

what size tank? just curious.

definitely the screen method.

OP
OP
Stixbaraca

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no sps (but would love a few now with the MH) They are 10,000K Ushio on electronic ARO ballasts. The tank is an Oceanic 58...which is 36.5" x 18.5".

OP
OP
Stixbaraca

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is exciting Laurie...the colors of some of these sps are amazing! I am psyched to pick a few awesome ones out! I saw a pic of this neon pink cap...I will be keeping an eye out for that one!

OP
OP
Stixbaraca

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the hood and lights all up and running now since yesterday. I ran the lights (two 150W 10K, and one 96W actinic PC) for about 1.5 hours yesterday with no screen. Today I cut out the screening, and put 4 layers between the lights and the tank...and It looked like barely any light was getting through. I took 2 of the layers away leaving 2 layers. How should I know if I am doing more harm than good, or if it is too mch light too fast???

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is exciting Laurie...the colors of some of these sps are amazing! I am psyched to pick a few awesome ones out! I saw a pic of this neon pink cap...I will be keeping an eye out for that one!

When I put mine under the MH, I put screens back if anything started to look dull. Dunno if there is a better way to do it, but none of mine got burned that way.

You are always welcome to a piece of anything I have! It is weird- some of them I really like, and some are just kind of like... blah. You know who has an awesome SPS collection is MeCold...

:D
Laurie

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey make sure you buy CHEAP sps frags and go with the easier ones until you know you can keep them alive.

OP
OP
Stixbaraca

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that the Montis are pretty indestructible...is that a general consensus? Are there any other you guys would suggest?

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my monti's. I have read that they are the hardiest of SPS and i have come to that same conclusion because i have never killed any myself.

Steve

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back