Little help on a new build

CHI-Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All

Ill start by saying I'm a newbie to this forum and if this is getting posted in the wrong area I apologize beforehand.

Im starting a new 75 gallon marineland setup and want to get some opinions on the plumbing side of the house.

For the overflow I decided to go with synergy reef's new "Shadow" overflow. To complement the overflow I picked up a trigger sapphire 39 sump. Now with the overflow there are the 2 - 1.5 inch drains and 1 - 1 inch emergency drain. On the trigger sump there are 3 - 1 inch bulkheads does anyone see a problem if I reduced the 2 - 1.5 drains from the overflow to 1 so the I can slide them right into the sump bulkheads?

The other question I have guys is this is the first time I'm going to be drilling an overflow in the back of tank and Ive been thinking about drilling the returns in the corners because its going to look pretty sharp. With having 4 holes total holes drilled do I need to worry about the glass cracking from all the holes being placed in there? Should I be really concerned about it or am I being to cautions ?

Mark

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All

Ill start by saying I'm a newbie to this forum and if this is getting posted in the wrong area I apologize beforehand.

Im starting a new 75 gallon marineland setup and want to get some opinions on the plumbing side of the house.

For the overflow I decided to go with synergy reef's new "Shadow" overflow. To complement the overflow I picked up a trigger sapphire 39 sump. Now with the overflow there are the 2 - 1.5 inch drains and 1 - 1 inch emergency drain. On the trigger sump there are 3 - 1 inch bulkheads does anyone see a problem if I reduced the 2 - 1.5 drains from the overflow to 1 so the I can slide them right into the sump bulkheads?

The other question I have guys is this is the first time I'm going to be drilling an overflow in the back of tank and Ive been thinking about drilling the returns in the corners because its going to look pretty sharp. With having 4 holes total holes drilled do I need to worry about the glass cracking from all the holes being placed in there? Should I be really concerned about it or am I being to cautions ?

Mark
The 4 holes shouldn't cause a problem.

As for the size reduction, that really depends on the type of drain you are planning on running. Have you decided that yet?

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 4 holes shouldn't cause a problem.

As for the size reduction, that really depends on the type of drain you are planning on running. Have you decided that yet?
Since @Brew12 seems to handling your question ... let me say ...
IMG_4786 santa.jpg

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All

Mark

Welcome! Congrats on the overflow purchase. The Shadow actually has 3 x 1.5" drains. You can reduce them down to 1" without any issues. Drilling is really easy and kind of addicting, lol. As long as you go slow and keep the bits cooled, you shouldn't have any issues.

OP
OP
CHI-Mark

CHI-Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys,

Brew - Not sure if Im following your question as for the drain type. Looking at the overflow they seem to be Durso's

Mixer - is there a certain bit that you would recommend over another ?

Mark

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys,

Brew - Not sure if Im following your question as for the drain type. Looking at the overflow they seem to be Durso's

Mixer - is there a certain bit that you would recommend over another ?

Mark
I didn't know if you were going with Durso, Herbie, or Bean Animal drains. They all work a bit differently and the pipe size reduction would only cause a problem with the Durso, imo. I think you will be fine with Durso's since it is recommended to reduce them at the bulkhead by at least 1 size to help with the laminar flow.

theblackpearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would reduce the size before Id drill that sump out bigger. You paid alot of money for that sump to enlarge holes. Who knows what could go wrong. (3) 1" drains on a 75 gallon is plenty. Each 1 inch bulkhead can flow a minimum of 350 gph and upto 800 gph with backpressure

When drilling your tank make sure not to put the holes too close to the edge of the glass. Stay about 3 inches away. Always have water on that holesaw. Make sure to tape the inside with masking tape where you are drilling to catch the glass. I usually just drill it in the driveway with a hose running water on the tank.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
CHI-Mark

CHI-Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peral - I agree spent to much money to drill anything out on it. I did reach out to trigger about the drain sizes since the sapphire comes with 2 interchangeable plates 1 with 2 - 1 inch holes and 1 with 3 - 1 inch holes I asked if they have anything for 1.5 drains and there more then happy to make one and send it out and it would only cost me 16.00 so went with it.

As for the returns I was thinking about drilling those 3 inches from the top and side hopefully that will be enough so it won't crack.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back