Live Rock Questions

Teke Left

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All! So I first attempted the Salt hobby around 3 years ago, I started with a 29 Biocube it had already been up & running for a few years before. I got it from a friend. When I got it I was so stuck on the pound per gallon rule that I loaded it up with rock as I felt he hadn't had enough then I went on to add fish & this & that, then the algae problem came that I fought for months but I wrote it off to using well water as my LFS was a hour & half away but it was a bad experience then my daughter cracked the tank & that ended my salt experience, Ive been with freshwater ever since. but i now have a empty 55 & wanting to try again.So all of the Live rock I had from the tank has been in a bucket in the basement in water. it has been in a dark cool standing water environment for quite sometime. is it still "LIVE" & safe or no?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All! So I first attempted the Salt hobby around 3 years ago, I started with a 29 Biocube it had already been up & running for a few years before. I got it from a friend. When I got it I was so stuck on the pound per gallon rule that I loaded it up with rock as I felt he hadn't had enough then I went on to add fish & this & that, then the algae problem came that I fought for months but I wrote it off to using well water as my LFS was a hour & half away but it was a bad experience then my daughter cracked the tank & that ended my salt experience, Ive been with freshwater ever since. but i now have a empty 55 & wanting to try again.So all of the Live rock I had from the tank has been in a bucket in the basement in water. it has been in a dark cool standing water environment for quite sometime. is it still "LIVE" & safe or no?
no. its prob quite nasty. bacteria die with no flow or oxygen.

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use it but it would have to cure for a time you could seed it. Rock isn't cheap so I would use at least some ot it and add some new

Back