Live Rock ?s

Litz316

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the hobby and I feel I was lucky and got some live rock with plants on what is the best for my rock with plants on it away from current and closer to light or close to current and away from light? I have 50lbs of rock in my 29Gallon tank and feel there isn't much room else in tanknlove the rocks I pick but what other choice do I have take a few out and let them dry or sell them back advice is appreciated?

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally i wouldn't use live rock or put any in my aquarium because it could have unwanted pests on it... but you can always move rock to your sump if possible if not use what you like best and take out what you don't like

Supurderek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do risk putting pests or unwanted algae when you introduce other live rock to your aquarium. If you like the look of the newer rock that much, you can replace and keep corals aiming toward the light. Do you have pictures of the rock/corals? That would help a lot. Also, expect to go through a cycle again since the rock will have die off/detritus as soon as it is moved; especially in a smaller system.

OP
OP
L

Litz316

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0484.JPG
IMG_0485.JPG
IMG_0487.JPG
Generally i wouldn't use live rock or put any in my aquarium because it could have unwanted pests on it... but you can always move rock to your sump if possible if not use what you like best and take out what you don't like

So I went the wrong way then shoot wish i would have known live rock is in now with some good and some pest

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can always get rid of it with aptasia x or something and fish that'll eat it like a matted filefish best of luck!

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to find good live rock anymore have close to 300lbs of Fiji and some tonga that I've had since the late 90's and was loaded with a good variety of worms and dusters and they're all still there keeping my tank clean. I did my first water change in 6 months last night and couldn't find a speck of detritus anywhere to vacuum up so I'm a big fan of good rock that comes from old school reefers

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes aptasia x is a chemical that kills aptasia when injected in them however it won't get rid of all of them, and im not exactly sure how much a filefish is but there are many more options in getting rid of aptasia research it because i am not acquainted with every method

OP
OP
L

Litz316

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these two different pic of the ate like worms with tenticals on them
IMG_0492.JPG
IMG_0493.JPG

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stripey tentacles belong to a micro brittlestar, widely believed to be beneficial.

The shells that you see moving around I believe to be keyhole limpets. they are great algae eaters. I'm not aware of any "bad" hitchhikers that look like that.

The last thing is some sort of coralimorph or in the hobby parlance, a mushroom coral.

Looks like you got some good rock!

OP
OP
L

Litz316

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stripey tentacles belong to a micro brittlestar, widely believed to be beneficial.

The shells that you see moving around I believe to be keyhole limpets. they are great algae eaters. I'm not aware of any "bad" hitchhikers that look like that.

The last thing is some sort of coralimorph or in the hobby parlance, a mushroom coral.

Looks like you got some good rock!
Thanks for the info I was concerned after noticing a bunch of different things I haven't seen before that is all

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back