Long live the common!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do I like small , grey-brown fishes and non-trendy corals? Why do I covet fishes, and even corals that most people find rather uninteresting? Why do I get excited about wild guppies, tan Acros, and steel-grey blennies, way more than I do about almost any other fishes and corals? Do I not get out enough? Am I too cool to jump on the bandwagon of new fishes and corals? Or, could it simply be that, after several decades in the hobby- I’ve learned to be honest with myself about what I like? Hmm…is there a lesson here? Or even a blog? Let’s see…

vermiculata.jpg

Common.

I get to see a lot of corals and fishes- a lot of really rare stuff. I don’t care how long you’ve been in the hobby or worked in the aquatics industry- when a new livestock shipment arrives and it’s time to break out the box cutters, even the most crusty fish person still gets a kind of giddy excitement, anticipating what is in the box.

Not too long ago, I was in the warehousewhen the shipment arrived. As usual, I hung around watching the crew open up the boxes to see what was swimming. "Designer" Acans? Crazy rare Scolys? No, this time, it was a box of pinkish maricultured Millies. The “bread and butter”, ultra “common” staples of the reef hobby, yawn-inducing for some, I suppose (at least it can be, when I offer them as a bonus to customers, I often hear, "I have a bunch of 'em already..."). Another box had some cool Yellowtail Damsels... Yawn?

Actually, I wasn’t yawning. I was admiring this brightly colored gems swimming in their bags, and considering what brought them here. Just a few days earlier, these little guys were happily swimming somewhere in their native Indo Pacific, thinking only of where their next meal was coming from, and ways to avoid becoming menu items for someone. What were they thinking now, I wondered? Who would end up buying them? What size aquarium would they spend the rest of their lives in? Would they be comfortable, well fed- or would they slowly waste away and die in agony? Do we ever think about this?

Damsel.jpg

If it were collected 10 at a time, we'd go nuts over it. Right?

Was I being overly sentimental? Stupidly self-righteous? Maybe. But I was contemplating; just for a second- how easy it is to take for granted what has become “common” to us. "Common" fishes and corals are staples in the aquarium hobby for a reason: They are beautiful, not trendy. Yet, they are interesting creatures. They are precious, regardless of the price tag- and they are worthy of our respect and admiration. They need not be expensive and flashy to be worthy of our admiration, do they? It almost sounds like heresy in this uber-trend-inducing, "check out this rare 1/4" frag of____ for $400" hobby phase we're in. (Honestly- I find the whole uber-trendy coral auction thing about as boring as anything...I'm serious...I'm personally sick of trying to get excited about overpriced 1/4" frags that "Everyone" thinks are "the bee's knees." Whatever. I'm being bratty. Ask me about the topic some other time.)

MS-1-au-pink-prostrata-frag-48.jpg

"Aw, darn...it's pink."

To further compound my theory, I needed only to a few aisles slip over in the facility to admire the (very ordinary!) “Blue Vermiculata” that we propagate continuously. Okay, on the surface, these bright blue corals are just plain awesome! But to many a "jaded reefer", they are about as unexciting (is that a word?) as a coral can get- a poster child for “haters”…seriously. But wait a minute. Have you ever even seen one in person? Maybe not that often. Probably because they are rather…well, common, and "hardcore coral collectors" (not sure what that even means any more) often spurn them. But man- that’s what’s so cool about them! They are different! Subtle. Imagine how awesome they’d look as contrasting players in a tank full of green or reddish Acros! If they had a goofy name, and we only released a few small frags of 'em no and again, would that make them "sought after?"

Think about the humble “Blue Streak Cardinalfish” Apagon leptocanthus. This little Indo Pacific fish looks for all the world like a freshwater Tetra from the Amazon, yet it’s a 100% marine…Subtly colored, yet somehow compelling. It sells out really fast. Why? I don’t know. I mean, why is a “Pokerstar Montipora” so hot? To each his own, I suppose. Could it be that we really, truly love the creatures of the sea for what they are? I believe we do!

The beauty of the aquarium hobby is that there really IS room for all sorts of fishes, plants and inverts. Pretty much every animal out there gets at least some love from the reef masses! Admit it- you’ve occasionally stared longingly at a brown coral in your LFS and wondered, right? You’ve contemplated purchasing that grey-brown Goby with the cute eyes before, huh? You may have even owned a Sinularia once!

Fish-Goby-BlackBandedSleeper -  Mar17.jpg

Sexy.

I knew you were better than all of that. Think I was just being grumpy again...gets old sometimes, huh?

There is hope for the hobby after all…Long live the dull! Who loves the grey fishes and "tan" corals? WE do.

Until next time…

Stay Wet

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda like my first two fish, a plain normal orange ocellaris clown and a black one. Inexpensive, nothing fancy or rare about them, but I loved them. Same for my hippo tang now. She's nothing special to mot hobbyists, but I love her anyway. <3

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's cool for me has always been symbiosis. A sexy shrimp or anemone crab in a mini carpet anemone, or a clown in any random flowing coral. Maybe a cleaner shrimp picking at my tangs or a pistol shrimp chilling out with their goby. I got caught up in the crazy name game for a while, but recently my focus has gotten back to basics. I'm a science dork, not an art collector.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's cool for me has always been symbiosis. A sexy shrimp or anemone crab in a mini carpet anemone, or a clown in any random flowing coral. Maybe a cleaner shrimp picking at my tangs or a pistol shrimp chilling out with their goby. I got caught up in the crazy name game for a while, but recently my focus has gotten back to basics. I'm a science dork, not an art collector.

I love it...the "little thing"s are awesome, and make a tank come alive!

michaelgrusell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the most exciting corals I've ever bought are the browned out maricultured ones at the lfs. You wait months to see what color they will end up and all for under 50 bucks. I've bought a few pieces of these hot corals but even though I can afford them I would never buy a 500 plus coral so that my 6 friends that come by can see it. I've no desire to frag and sell so for me what's the point of these.. Jmo

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so true! For a while I was really drawn to this brown dull coral at my LFS and to this day I'm not even sure what kind of coral it is. I don't think the shop owner knows! She always wanted too much money for it in my opinion so I never bought it, but I've always stayed away from anything brown and this thing just got my attention Every time I stepped foot in her shop!

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, you can be as grumpy as you like. You are right on, my friend. Having had saltwater tanks in one form or another since 1970 I, like you, have held everyone of my charges in very high esteem, no matter how plain they may have been. I recollect fondly watching a group of silversides (!), I had collected by hand, interact with each other in my very first salt tank, and how they reacted to the baby Atlantic Spadefish I netted in an estuary, when I added them to the tank. Those days were simpler, maybe because I didn't know what I was getting into. Maybe because I was young and had my whole life in front of me. But they were glorious. I don't understand the need to speak Latin or to have the hottest new coral on the block, but to each his/her own. I'm just content to lay in bed at night watching my little charges go about their lives, and to take the responsibility for keeping them as healthy and happy (too anthropomorphic??) as I may. JMO.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several weeks back the forum ran a thread on brown frags. Almost all entries were from hobbyists who were disappointed that their corals turned brown or didn't color up. I posted a picture of a plain brown acro that I was happy had remained brown. My tank has lots of green, teal, pink, purple, blue, orange sps corals. What I didn't have and hadn't see anywhere locally was a plain brown acro. I ran across one at a lfs and bought it. It's growing well and looking very healthy and happily not changing color.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott. What kind of coral is that 1st pic, the blue one. It may be "common" but I find it absolutely breath-taking. Think I could keep one of those in my 14G 'cube?

srpsycho11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 years ago I left my fowlr tank to start a family and career. Now back in the hobby with a reef tanks, I'm blown away at the live stock and coral available but I can't let go of that first time I saw a damsel. I'm still a damsel fan and owner. I guess the real question to ask is why are you in the hobby and maybe then what's common and rare will become clearer.

luxauterna

A softy who loves softies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter how long I have been or will be in this hobby, I have a feeling I will always have a sinularia in one of my tanks. I remember being mesmerized as I watched one grow in my tank to the size of a basketball. I loved it!

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year I saw a low maintenance soft coral tank which was beautifully aqua scape. It was soft corals only, with T-5's. I couldn't believe the colors. It was as nice or even nicer than any stony coral tanks i've seen. Plane and simple can be heaven on earth!

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My most recent fish purchase and quickly becoming my favorites, Talbot's Damsel fish - $5 a piece! Common yes, but man when I saw them I loved them.
IMG_0014.jpg

namkiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My most recent fish purchase and quickly becoming my favorites, Talbot's Damsel fish - $5 a piece! Common yes, but man when I saw them I loved them.
IMG_0014.jpg
Those killed all my fish in the last tank I had

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I like the look of many of the damsels I've seen a few grow into very large, very grey adult fish that no one wanted and that were too aggressive for the tank. It's really important to have the right tank mates for them.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott. What kind of coral is that 1st pic, the blue one. It may be "common" but I find it absolutely breath-taking. Think I could keep one of those in my 14G 'cube?
It's an Aussie Blue Vermiculata...Needs fairly intense light, but can do well in a variety of situations...

-Scott

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back