Looking for a good cheap waterproof Par meter?

Xerxes_Zoanthids444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[emoji112] guys, I'm looking to purchase a cheap par meter for my led's, do y'all know any cheap good ones? I found some but are so expensive to just read light parameters is ridiculous to me! Lol

Thank you

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, but at $155 vs $350+ it's still a pretty decent option
I thought I heard you can get a replacement for an old sensor up to the new version for around $50. If that's true, you could try to find an old broken sensor out there and get it swapped.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I heard you can get a replacement for an old sensor up to the new version for around $50. If that's true, you could try to find an old broken sensor out there and get it swapped.
If that's the case I might hit up ebay for a broken one LOL

OP
OP
Xerxes_Zoanthids444

Xerxes_Zoanthids444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, well I'm not going to spend that much on one, I'm going to see if I can borrow one from my local fish store lol

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely a big expense for something that will sit on the shelf more than anything. After getting my lights initially set up and tune in. I think I have only pulled out one times since then. If you're anywhere near South Carolina i can try and help out.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get a cheap luxmeter from Amazon and put it in a plastic bag. That's what I've done.

Yeah, but at $155 vs $350+ it's still a pretty decent option

That is a good deal, but $150 vs $15 is still a huge difference if you're on a budget.

A PAR meter is nicer, but I would not reef without a light meter and lots of folks can't afford them.....get a lux meter if that's all you can afford.

Once you at least have a lux meter, as a half-step toward a PAR meter, a plain lux meter can be calibrated with a PAR meter if you really need PAR numbers for some reason. (Mostly, you don't.) But this will give you an accurate conversion factor (as accurate as the PAR meter you use) to apply to lux readings from the meter. Your reef club or a LFS might rent or loan you a PAR meter, or you might know someone who has one.

A lux meter can even be converted into a PAR meter, if you're into that kind of DIY. :) It's not too hard:
Cheapest PAR Meter DIY - The Planted Tank Forum (There are actually lots of DIY PAR meter plans, this is probably the simplest and easiest and cheapest one.)

OP
OP
Xerxes_Zoanthids444

Xerxes_Zoanthids444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a local reef club see if there is one to borrow. If you are in Richmond, VA you can borrow mine.

It is definitely a big expense for something that will sit on the shelf more than anything. After getting my lights initially set up and tune in. I think I have only pulled out one times since then. If you're anywhere near South Carolina i can try and help out.

Thank you guys I really appreciate your help but I'm in Dallas Tx! I figured if I bought one it would sit awhile until I bought a new light or something but I will see if I can get someone to let me borrow there's! But thanks again!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks I didn't remember a little detail until I just re-read that DIY link I posted....for some reason Hoppy specified against using the red lux meter for his DIY.

Obviously it's fine as a lux meter, so I wonder what the internal difference is??? Unfortunately he didn't go into why, just said to use the LX-1010B and "not the red one" cuz it didn't work.

OP
OP
Xerxes_Zoanthids444

Xerxes_Zoanthids444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks I didn't remember a little detail until I just re-read that DIY link I posted....for some reason Hoppy specified against using the red lux meter for his DIY.

Obviously it's fine as a lux meter, so I wonder what the internal difference is??? Unfortunately he didn't go into why, just said to use the LX-1010B and "not the red one" cuz it didn't work.

Thank you I may try this out if I can't get someone to let me borrow it!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely get an LX-1010B to have on hand in case you can borrow a PAR meter – calibrate that lux meter! ;)

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you said cheap and good in the same sentence you'd be just as well off getting a submersible lux and getting help converting to par as to buying a cheap par meter. Especially with LEDs

Back