Looking for help from roger on my 9004 skimmer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jamesbog283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello roger I hope you see this I've been told you're the man to ask.
I bought a 9004 skimmer on Thursday afternoon. I've installed as per the instructions I believe. However the cup on top fills only with water? Then the bubbles push the cap off and flow back into my tank. I have the screw almost entirely closed otherwise it fills up in about 45 seconds.
de3d18fb5c27a1fdc105cdc74fb16a39.jpg

I have had people tell me to raise the skimmer or close the air screw even more but regardless I seem to get the same results. Can you or anyone give me some advice on how to fix this? Or have I got a defective unit?

OP
OP
jamesbog283

jamesbog283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the bubbles I'm getting, they're coming from the side seam on the front panel

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let my skimmer run a few days w no cup, to "break in."

OP
OP
jamesbog283

jamesbog283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let my skimmer run a few days w no cup, to "break in."

Interesting I haven't heard that yet but it makes sense. I think that one little piece that was sitting in the box made a big difference. It must have fallen out in shipping. It looks like nothing but operates completely different with it. I still can't open the screw completely yet but at least its skimming that makes me smile.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting I haven't heard that yet but it makes sense. I think that one little piece that was sitting in the box made a big difference. It must have fallen out in shipping. It looks like nothing but operates completely different with it. I still can't open the screw completely yet but at least its skimming that makes me smile.
sweet!
Part of the break in is actually everything being coated in bacteria:eek:

what piece was it.

OP
OP
jamesbog283

jamesbog283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet!
Part of the break in is actually everything being coated in bacteria:eek:

what piece was it.

I'm not even sure...it was a small rectangular piece that says tunze and fills a small spot under the impeller. With that said....when I woke up this morning it's acting up again. Micro bubbles are back (not as bad as they were and I had to close the air screw almost all the way closed again. This is by far the most frustrating thing I have purchased yet. But as @squarerigeersailor mentioned it could be the colony making it act up so I'll hold off on adding that for a few days and see if things get better.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger should chime in tomorrow. He typically only responds during the week.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you man, just hooked up a new skimmer and biopellet reactor on my 300g today as well. It usually takes a few days up to a few weeks for them to break in.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is submerged way to deep, raise it so only 1/3rd to 1/2 of the front intake is under water. You want to run the air as open as possible, work with depth first. If you close the air, the water flow increases and many micro bubbles will be ejected. I would unplug it, open the air all the way, raise it up, plug it in and close the air as little as possible. Any surfactant media or additive can also cause this reaction (most anything organic, stress coat, dechlorinator, amino/vitamin supplements, non phenol free floss, organic exchange resins, bio pellets, carbon dosing). Stop using these until the reaction subsides then resume with a half dose.

OP
OP
jamesbog283

jamesbog283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is submerged way to deep, raise it so only 1/3rd to 1/2 of the front intake is under water. You want to run the air as open as possible, work with depth first. If you close the air, the water flow increases and many micro bubbles will be ejected. I would unplug it, open the air all the way, raise it up, plug it in and close the air as little as possible. Any surfactant media or additive can also cause this reaction (most anything organic, stress coat, dechlorinator, amino/vitamin supplements, non phenol free floss, organic exchange resins, bio pellets, carbon dosing). Stop using these until the reaction subsides then resume with a half dose.

I have tried all sorts of depths and screw adjustments. I will try again tonight agfter work currently it is barely submerged and the screw almost completely closed, and still fills the cup in almost 3 minutes if I open the air up. Is it possible it is still breaking in? Its been in the tank for about 4 days now.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure no organics/surfactants have been used which are causing a surface tension change and resulting foam overs? If so, it will take a week for this affect to subside after use is stopped. Break in will not cause what you describe, it takes 2 weeks to fully break in, but the worst of break in is wetter skimming and some micro bubbles escaping. The cup filling with water if not depth related is likely related to a surfactant.

OP
OP
jamesbog283

jamesbog283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure no organics/surfactants have been used which are causing a surface tension change and resulting foam overs? If so, it will take a week for this affect to subside after use is stopped. Break in will not cause what you describe, it takes 2 weeks to fully break in, but the worst of break in is wetter skimming and some micro bubbles escaping. The cup filling with water if not depth related is likely related to a surfactant.

I was using colony however @squareriggersailor mentioned that was not a good thing. Last dose was on Thursday but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I guess a few more days will tell the tale?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with that product, can you post a link to it?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to say, the bacteria alone, no, but any colloid or food for the bacteria could be a cause. I can not think of any possible technical cause if the depth is correct and air is not overly restricted so I have to believe it is a substance in the water. Best if possible would be to verify it on another tank that is more established and has a skimmer running well on it, this same effect would happen to any skimmer, but is less pronounced on larger skimmers.

OP
OP
jamesbog283

jamesbog283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to say, the bacteria alone, no, but any colloid or food for the bacteria could be a cause. I can not think of any possible technical cause if the depth is correct and air is not overly restricted so I have to believe it is a substance in the water. Best if possible would be to verify it on another tank that is more established and has a skimmer running well on it, this same effect would happen to any skimmer, but is less pronounced on larger skimmers.

I will take back into the lfs where I bought it and see if they can help.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 143 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.2%
Back