- Magnesium test kits
- & magnesium supplement

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
magnesium chloride used as road salt to melt ice. $20-30 for a 50 pounds bag.

JNye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mag chloride for road salt and epsom salts is the mag sulfate, it'll be tough to find the road salt locally, but youmight get lucky. I've used a few mag kits and I like Elos to best so far, not the cheapest, but the other ones aren't worth much since i just didn't trust the results.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seriously had a magnesium problem? I find it hard to believe that if you are using a quality salt, and properly dosing for calcium...(which often times comes with the appropriate levels of necessary nutrients for the synthesis of calcium: magnesium ect...) that you could have a mag problem. I would test it with a salifert test before you go off buying supplements.

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seriously had a magnesium problem? I find it hard to believe that if you are using a quality salt, and properly dosing for calcium...(which often times comes with the appropriate levels of necessary nutrients for the synthesis of calcium: magnesium ect...) that you could have a mag problem. I would test it with a salifert test before you go off buying supplements.

not to mention its the most abundant ion in saltwater...like 3x calcium PPM

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert I think are the best but hard to get , limited supply, Elos is next. If Mg is low it is hard to get and keep Ca up. Here is Randy's Mg miz recipies. You will find all of your answers here, book mark it, and look at the recipies for 2 part and Mg, if you can find it at the winter time as ice melt go for it, other wise Bulkreefsupply.com or Buckeyefielsupply.com both have great customer sevice, websites, and pricing.http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chemistry-forum/29492-reef-chemistry-articles.html

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used salifert and red sea and salifert is easier to use. I think it is usually out of stock. I still use the red sea test kit.

Loren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
magnesium chloride used as road salt to melt ice. $20-30 for a 50 pounds bag.

+1 for the 50 lb bag. 1/4 cup brings my tank up 60. When low, pH hangs low, and ca is impossible to get above 400.

OP
OP
Reeferon

Reeferon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like there would be a lot of impurities in that bag of road salt.

I also think road salt is hard to come by in Florida.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes.

I ran my system for a few years and magnesium was 800-900ppm. It took 2-4 pounds of Epsom Salts to get up to 1350ppm

Another local (who did water changes) also reported 800-900ppm magnesium after a few years of running.

everytime I use up the 1g calcium /alk suppliments magnesium is down and requires the 300ml magnesium supplement per the diy 2 part.

Finally, water changes will slow down but not prevent or reverse the magnesium consumption. (or the calcium consumption, or the alk consumption, or the ntrates build up, or the phosphate build up, etc etc etc)

Magnesium will be used up just more slowly then calcium or alk.

Get the test kit and test magnesium. Before dosing or testing calcium or alk.

my .02

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back