Looking to Buy some Disease free fish

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after losing a black tang, 2 semilavartus butterflies, and an achillies to ich flukes and I don't know what else all in QT I'm ready to start spending some more money.

Who has been selling quality healthy fish lately ? Anyone have any good recent experiences they would like to share?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that I have been having a 50/50 survival rate with online orders, I have only been purchasing from my LFS of late. I special request and if my take a bit but when the fish comes in, I can look at in there tank before I take it home;)

There is a lot of fish that go through the process of being caught in the wild, packed, shipped to the middle person, then ship to Joe public and the fish are so stressed that the fish get sick quick from all of the stress.

OP
OP
deerhunter06

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point, I have a decent LFS about 45 min I may just start utilizing them. Just bought a mates pair of potters angels from Reefwise I have always heard great things about their place.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't lost a fish from an on line vendor in a couple of years other than one fish that died in the first 6 hours. I buy from a couple of LFS, DD/LA, NY Aquatic, Reefwise and occasionally Blue Zoo. All have sent healthy fish lately.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich and flukes shouldn't be killing your fish if you have meds on hand. Velvet depends on how far advanced fish is but all are curable. Been there a few times.
Dd/la never had a diseased fish from them.

OP
OP
deerhunter06

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich and flukes shouldn't be killing your fish if you have meds on hand. Velvet depends on how far advanced fish is but all are curable. Been there a few times.
Dd/la never had a diseased fish from them.

I have every kind of med you can imagine wasn't looking for advice on treatment, just places you can buy them with out diseases. Ich will kill a new addition 99% of the time if the fish won't start eating.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have every kind of med you can imagine wasn't looking for advice on treatment, just places you can buy them with out diseases. Ich will kill a new addition 99% of the time if the fish won't start eating.
No place will offer 100% disease free fish. Any fish that doesn't eat will die 99% of the time with or without a disease [emoji6].

OP
OP
deerhunter06

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No place will offer 100% disease free fish. Any fish that doesn't eat will die 99% of the time with or without a disease [emoji6].

A fish disease free will live way longer with out eating giving it time to get comfortable and begin eating. A fish with a disease + not eating stands little chance due to the fact the disease will quickly kill it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ny aquatic is good, but lfs is your best bet if you can see one eating, atleast the trip home isnt to far usually. Proper qt always helps though..;)

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I know the supplier la uses, I would suggest solely divers den from the 2 choices. I haven't ordered from ny aquatics, but I have heard some good things about them. Depending on the fish you are looking for there is a good Hawaiian supplier that has been revised here recently...pacific island aquatics, It has reviews in the the vendor feedback forums and I've always had good experiences with them...just species/stock is often limited.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately all LFS and distributors have diseases because of the sheer numbers of fish that go through, it's not possible to keep therapeutic levels of meds for a full 4 weeks in these places A) because 4 weeks holding inventory is exponentially more expensive, and the opportunity cost of not moving fish for 4 weeks at a time is a huge bottleneck/continual expense to the supply chain.

Also, many fish would die when simply added to copper levels that high. Keeping all tanks as individual systems is also not financially feasible and no one would pay for that type of operation when the fish prices go up triple or even higher

What we need is a smaller shop that buys fish in batches and treats several at a time, properly, and then distributes them out, like @Humblefish. He needs to start his business.

But honestly you're not going to see that happen and even the best vendors are going to distribute lots of sick fish. Unfortunately until Humble starts his business we need to be set up to properly treat fish and it's expensive when you buy fish like you and I do - experience will make it more feasible, however. Expensive lessons learned here too, brother.

Last edited:

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after losing a black tang, 2 semilavartus butterflies, and an achillies to ich flukes and I don't know what else all in QT I'm ready to start spending some more money.

Who has been selling quality healthy fish lately ? Anyone have any good recent experiences they would like to share?
I just placed an order from bluezoo aquatics amd the fish came in wonderful. No complaints here at all amd it included a divided leopard wrasse...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back