Looking to switch over to LED but who should I choose?

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Evolutions. I've got 3 over my 180. They are very blue (which I like), but I'm not an SPS kinda guy. I've seen Luke's and you could probably grow SPS in your sump with those. Chris has the new larger Evolution fixtures too but they might be overkill for a 75.

I

inactive

View Badges
Kraylen, this is 100% incorrect data you are spreading. Your 120w fixture is not nearly as powerful as the 150w fixture's i carry. They are NOT close to being the same. Both have 119 diodes in them yes but yours are being driven at .78w a piece for a total of 94w so your 120w fixture actually pulls only 94w of LED. Mine have 119 3w diodes in them being pushed at 1.26w a piece for a total of 150w of LED. So the one's i carry push 56w more not to mention the huge diff between a 1w and 3w led. Both have two cord's and two switches yes but the power between the two is not comparable. The par of my fixture's pull 4x's that of any 120w led like yours.

Sounds like a bunch of numbers someone has been telling you to me.

I actually put your fixture, owned by another member on here, next to mine and they were just about the same brightness.

I mean, I've always been a man to test out what people are talking about.. so yes, I stuck them side by side.... and with my very own eyes, could not see that one was brighter than the other.. Meaning yes, Your fixture puts out the same amount of light as my 120w.... Even on Jenova, Same thing...

Like I said before, dual cord on mine was the icing on the cake... I thought yours was the same, however the other switches just controlled separate panels.(Did not control white/blue)

I understand that this is your product, I understand you may get upset at someone who will give it to you straight posting about a fixture comparison... however anytime we talk about LEDs all you do is post numbers... numbers mean nothing when I have both fixtures in my lab, side by side blinding the masses.

I mean, plain and simple.. side by side test...

Ford and Chevy can argue numbers all they want, until they hit the track and run side by side a few times... it's alllll numbers. Numbers don't mean much unless you are holding tolerances.

Last edited by a moderator:

reefkoi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the SPS guys another option is the new 200watt evolution! great for SPS tanks......I'm running 1 over a 48" tank and its really freaking bright i was amazed actually the first time I fired it up......for thoise wanting a 119 watt with a little less blue i do offer them in 50/50 blue/white for the same cost, the 20K versions are 70/30 blue/white roughly.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kraylen, did you happen to take par measurements or wattage measurements? I brought in 5 different fixture's before deciding on one. The one you are using was the first one i brought in and it was the least intense of them all. Is it bright, sure, but so is a florescent light bulb. But that does not make a florescent light good for the same application. I'm glad you are happy with your light but what you are saying about them being the same as mine are false.

I still think reefkoi has the nicest 120w led fixture out there currently and the best price on them as well : )

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lukes 119 x 3w fixture puts out the same light as my illuminarium 120w, however the illuminarium is dual corded with two switches to turn the blue and or white leds off/on... with the white leds off, my fixture is like an actintic halide. I had the chance to set these fixtures side by side at the reef meet I held last weekend.

Why didnt you get PAR values? Thats really the only way to prove your case.

I really want to get into the LED scene myself...and the price is right on reefkoi, but the PAR is weak. I like the color, but I am not going to spend that much money to split my PAR in half. My sps wouldnt be happy about that choice I think.

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why didnt you get PAR values? Thats really the only way to prove your case.

I really want to get into the LED scene myself...and the price is right on reefkoi, but the PAR is weak. I like the color, but I am not going to spend that much money to split my PAR in half. My sps wouldnt be happy about that choice I think.

3w LED's with optics...... :wink:

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, This all seems too funny to me. Seems like the same debate over LEDS that we have had over skimmers.

Seasonedreefer\Corey just give me a call man. You are more than welcome to see what I have going on with t5 led mixture. I am using the reefbrite LED's . Showed them to a few people and they were like wow. So much that even Rob ordered a couple.

I

inactive

View Badges
Oh yeah, forgot I just have PAR meters posted around the lab.. shoulda used the one one top of the laser cutter, next to the time machine.

Either way, they are all made from the same factory in China.

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, huge diff between the two. The evolution is 119 1w led's driven at .78w a pop for a total of 94w. My fixture's are 119 3w led's driven at 1.26w a piece for a total of 150w with 60 degree optics. 24" with reefkoi your looking at 100 par and 24" with mine your looking at 400 par. It just depends on what your looking to do. If your looking at keeping softies and chalice reefkoi is a great fixture, if you want sps the 150 watter is going to be much better. If your looking for DIY, talk to bill. If you want power, dimmability and all the bells and whistles, then look at the AI. All the above are nice, just gotta meet your application.

+1

I measured the PAR of the Evolution and luke33 is 100% right, despite their great colour they might not have the penetration your looking for unless you want to double them up. A lot of quality fixtures use the bridgelux LEDs with great results and excellent PAR. Driving them at 1.26 watts improves their efficiency and life span. LEDs can get complicated quick when you consider all the options of type, optics, cooling and drive watts. Eventually I plan on having these as well.

Bill

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting link. I have 2 30 in reefbrites. super nice.

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the best IMO is ACAN LIGHTING....ive seen the 36" in action and growth over 4 months and this fixture is insane
built in timer and soooo sleek in design just like a hand built Italian car stereo amp. :still_dreaming:

Hammmerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a bunch of numbers someone has been telling you to me.

I actually put your fixture, owned by another member on here, next to mine and they were just about the same brightness.

I mean, I've always been a man to test out what people are talking about.. so yes, I stuck them side by side.... and with my very own eyes, could not see that one was brighter than the other.. Meaning yes, Your fixture puts out the same amount of light as my 120w.... Even on Jenova, Same thing...

Like I said before, dual cord on mine was the icing on the cake... I thought yours was the same, however the other switches just controlled separate panels.(Did not control white/blue)

I understand that this is your product, I understand you may get upset at someone who will give it to you straight posting about a fixture comparison... however anytime we talk about LEDs all you do is post numbers... numbers mean nothing when I have both fixtures in my lab, side by side blinding the masses.

I mean, plain and simple.. side by side test...

Ford and Chevy can argue numbers all they want, until they hit the track and run side by side a few times... it's alllll numbers. Numbers don't mean much unless you are holding tolerances.

Not to ride this downhill slide, but this doesnt make any sense. Could you put an Ushio 10K and an XM 10K side by side and decide what has the best par by what your eye thought? Why would you think you could pull that off with LED's?

OP
OP
Seasonedreefer

Seasonedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, This all seems too funny to me. Seems like the same debate over LEDS that we have had over skimmers.

Seasonedreefer\Corey just give me a call man. You are more than welcome to see what I have going on with t5 led mixture. I am using the reefbrite LED's . Showed them to a few people and they were like wow. So much that even Rob ordered a couple.

I will for sure have to hookup with you on this. I really want to come see your new set up as well. Lol new to me anyways. Thanks Jesse I'll give you a call sometime soon.

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to ride this downhill slide, but this doesnt make any sense. Could you put an Ushio 10K and an XM 10K side by side and decide what has the best par by what your eye thought? Why would you think you could pull that off with LED's?

Just food for thought.

My wholesaler asked me to create a fixture to replace his 400 watt MH Radiums. The requirements were same or better colour and same PAR.

To be honest we fell short on the spread as he was using luminarc reflectors. Anyway he plans on eventually replacing every fixture as the bulbs go bad due to air conditioning and bulb replacement costs.

This is our 24" strip kit featured in our optics evaluation.

LEDs offer maximum flexibility. You can add a few LEDs with a specific spectrum to tweak colour and PAR...Yes the difference in looks between the 10K Ushio and 10K XM is huge but with the proper research you can obtain the same results with quality LEDs at half the energy and an 11 year lifespan.

Bill

sciknen

Merrimack Valley Hardcore
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't post here alot if you want sps get whatever has the highest par. I have never seen any of these fixtures or taken par readings. If I were you is build my own fixture for a little more money and your sure its strong as hell.

And kraylen. A par meter is not a WMD. many people have them.
MVHC

reefkoi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
speaking of PAR meters..............anyone got a lead on a deal on an apogee? they dont seem to be sold at many places, I remember seeing some group buy pricing and whatnot on some forums a while back.......

C

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back