M2CBridge LEDs

DuesXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all. New here but not to reef keeping. Been doing it off and on for years. I built a new tank into the wall of my dining area, and went with the LED panels from M2CBridge, which appear to me to be another form of DsunY LEDs as it uses the exact same controller. My question is, how the heck should these things be programmed?? My tank is a 60 gallon, working on SPS dominated. 36x24x18. I have 2 panels. The preset modes all seem too bright. And White. But maybe its just me. My last tanks were all MH and T5 combos. Trying to modernize.. I guess this is the price of progress, confusion. Anyone with these same lights or probably the DsunY, help a poor southern boy out, please!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly recommend getting a Luxmeter — whether that is a free app or a handheld meter that cost less than $15 — this way you can assess and set the intensity objectively and just set the color how you like it . :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way I've never heard of either of those brands you mentioned. I'm curious how you found them and how you decided on the one you have without even knowing how to program it? I know that sounds weird, but I would have serious trouble committing in that scenario. :D

OP
OP
DuesXX

DuesXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, probably poor decision making.. I just figured LED's are LED's. They're artificial light. So be it from a expensive Maxspect or from a Black Box (which is what both those brands I mentioned are..) I dunno.. Maybe I'm just retarded. The trouble is figuring out color vs intensity. but I reckon thats always the issue regardless of the lighting source. They came from Amazon. I think the brands are somehow connected, but the DsunY only seem to run White and Blue whereas these I have run Red, 12 and 18k white, Royal blue and blue. If I test with a LUX meter, what is it supposed to run? Like 120k?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, let all that go....LED's are LED's more or less. :) I was just curious. :)
  • About 100,000 lux is direct sunlight in the tropics, at sea level.
  • About 10,000 lux is an overcast day in the same area.
  • Although they can be found in less light, corals seem to favor around 10,000 to 50,000 lux.
  • More is not better, so if you have options shoot for something in the middle.
  • If you plan to have clams someday, they have a higher minimum – at least 30,000 lux.
  • About 100,000 lux = about 2000 PAR.
Do those have any lenses? Can you post a pic or link or some info about them? Mounting height will also be a question. :)

OP
OP
DuesXX

DuesXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15" off the water would cast a 52" diameter of illumination on a 36x18" surface.

A little light spill is one thing, but that's a lot for each fixture.

Try 5"-6" off the water. That should give a more reasonable 20" diameter of coverage. See what you think.

And don't forget to check out the lux meter! ;)

OP
OP
DuesXX

DuesXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Will do. Like I said, I only set them that high because that's what the Chinese said to do so it would light beyond the center brace in my tank. I hate those things. But thank you SO much for your input!

OP
OP
DuesXX

DuesXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0582.png

Here are my settings and the LUX readings at that point. So they really shouldn't go beyond these is what your suggesting right? This LUX reading was taken at water surface.

jcrow802

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what was the update on this? I am looking at the same lights. Do you like them. How hard was they to program?

OP
OP
DuesXX

DuesXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what was the update on this? I am looking at the same lights. Do you like them. How hard was they to program?
I can't recommend them for SPS. I dumped mine and went back to metal halide. But they would probably do ok for softies and zoas. I just think they lack the proper spectrum for proper SPS health.

OP
OP
DuesXX

DuesXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of them. That was the other hitch to their giddy up... they failed constantly. Poor soldering is my guess. Entire channels would just randomly go out. I wouldn't suggest buying them second hand, as you'll need the company to constantly send you replacement units, which they will for free, but it's just the hassle of waiting in the meantime. Unfortunately you get what you pay for. They are definitely inexpensive considering their features, but there's a reason for that IMO.

jcrow802

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have to send them a copy of your reciept/register it online? Also how long was the wait time on them to replace it? I'm just looking for somthing to get me 6 months of coverage till I can save some money up

OP
OP
DuesXX

DuesXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have to send them a copy of your reciept/register it online? Also how long was the wait time on them to replace it? I'm just looking for somthing to get me 6 months of coverage till I can save some money up
Nah, just order them through Amazon or something and keep your order number. They'll be able to look it up. What are you planning to keep? And how big is your tank?

jcrow802

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a 75, I'm not a big fan of sps. Mostly leathers zoas and stuff like that. I have one old ocean revive on it now, it's 125 watts. The corals in there seem to be doing okay.

OP
OP
DuesXX

DuesXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a 75, I'm not a big fan of sps. Mostly leathers zoas and stuff like that. I have one old ocean revive on it now, it's 125 watts. The corals in there seem to be doing okay.
Yeah, those ORs are pretty good. Better than the M2Cs honestly. Why not just get another one of those?

jcrow802

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, those ORs are pretty good. Better than the M2Cs honestly. Why not just get another one of those?
The old ones and new ones are different. The new ones have built in timers and you can slave one. That's what I want so I don't have to worry about my lights if I'm not home, but I can't do that with one old and one new

chevegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People have had so much success with these black box's though. Very few complain about burnouts and such. Many have tremendous growth. I don't have them yet but have been considering them. How long did you try them over your sps for before you decided they didn't work? thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back