Made the switch to LED's!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally made the jump and got them up today. 3 mars aqua 165w units.

IMG_1173.JPG

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

Have them set as low as they go and believe me they have some punch!

So far so good. Loving the colors of the corals so far.

Coming from t5's.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good! Do you have a build thread on here? I'd follow!

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Be sure to start those off quite low. I would be 25w 50b to start and work my way up very slowly each week.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Do you have a build thread on here? I'd follow!

No unfortunately I don't. But, I may start one here when I have the time. I have a large number of pictures of the build archived, so I could easily do it.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Be sure to start those off quite low. I would be 25w 50b to start and work my way up very slowly each week.

I have the whites turned down as far as they would go and the blues up at 25%. I also have them hanging at 10" from the water line. Mars aqua recently sent an email stating I should start out between 12"-16" off water line, so I may raise them up to 12" when I get off work.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I went with 3 units. Not much shadowing even with the cross brace.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 years or maybe more now I imported cheap Chinese LED units for my tank and the experts (so called) on lighting did their best to rubbish them. "you will get no growth" they said "you won't get any colour from your corals" they said. "they are dangerous and could burn your house down" They said. The experts were ALL wrong. The light had just blue and white LEDs then the full spectrum units had not come out then but when I showed pic's of my . frags growing with colour and opened the units up to show the build inside strangely enough they never replied and went and hid back under their rock. However 2 qualified electricians on my same thread (on a UK forum BTW) both commented on the good safe build quality. Yes these same doubters will still tell people you only get what you pay for and that these lights are rubbish. I will leave you to guess as why this might be.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 years or maybe more now I imported cheap Chinese LED units for my tank and the experts (so called) on lighting did their best to rubbish them. "you will get no growth" they said "you won't get any colour from your corals" they said. "they are dangerous and could burn your house down" They said. The experts were ALL wrong. The light had just blue and white LEDs then the full spectrum units had not come out then but when I showed pic's of my . frags growing with colour and opened the units up to show the build inside strangely enough they never replied and went and hid back under their rock. However 2 qualified electricians on my same thread (on a UK forum BTW) both commented on the good safe build quality. Yes these same doubters will still tell people you only get what you pay for and that these lights are rubbish. I will leave you to guess as why this might be.

I'm of the frame of mind that if you wish to buy a more expensive item and you have the resources to do so, then there is nothing wrong with that.

When it comes to a lot of things in this hobby, deciding on what to buy has to be done on others experiences, reviews and forums. There is little independent laboratory research done to compare an item against a similar item.

I am willing to pay more for quality, if there is no other choice.

In this case, I feel I got a great product at a fair price. I'm happy.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 37 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.0%
Back