Mag

iReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my mag went from 1400 to 1600 over night after i dosed the kalk plus from brightwell using the reactor.
should I be worry?

How do you bring down mag level?

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's an accurate reading then that is high. Magnesium tests are one of those that a lot of folks get sporadic readings on sometimes.

You can just let it drop naturally. Don't dose anymore mag and it will fall but it will take sometime.

You may also want to double check your salinity. In order for your mag to be that high you would have had to dose a lot of supplement.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my mag went from 1400 to 1600 over night after i dosed the kalk plus from brightwell using the reactor.
should I be worry?

How do you bring down mag level?

I don't use any reactors or fancy equipment since I do my water changes religiously. Especially since I got my RODI unit haha. Anyway, I have dosed code A and code B and my Mag went sky high. Testing around 1700+. Surprisingly nothing was hurt, but since it was high. Did a considerable WC to bring down. That worked. I would do a WC to bring down. I'm following to see if anyone knows of other ways to bring it down.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use any reactors or fancy equipment since I do my water changes religiously. Especially since I got my RODI unit haha. Anyway, I have dosed code A and code B and my Mag went sky high. Testing around 1700+. Surprisingly nothing was hurt, but since it was high. Did a considerable WC to bring down. That worked. I would do a WC to bring down. I'm following to see if anyone knows of other ways to bring it down.

The most common acceptable ways to lower mag are WC or letting it naturally fall over time.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That test result is testing error. By their own claim, there's hardly any magnesium in it (less than in "ordinary" quicklime that I used), and magnesium isn't soluble in limewater anyway.

By their own data, if magnesium rose 200 ppm, then calcium would have to rise by 72,000 ppm. lol

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That test result is testing error. By their own claim, there's hardly any magnesium in it (less than in "ordinary" quicklime that I used), and magnesium isn't soluble in limewater anyway.

By their own data, if magnesium rose 200 ppm, then calcium would have to rise by 72,000 ppm. lol

Dam!! Well I thought it's rise was very odd myself, so I tested again, then went to LFS to confirm. I use Red Sea test kit, they use salifert testers. They tested above 1600. So in my conclusion it was between 1600 and 1740. Cal was at 470, alk was 8.8. Stopped dosing, Cal came down to 450, alk at 8.3 and mag to 1540, of course after a considerable WC.

OP
OP
I

iReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna test it again tonight
By the way im using the red sea test kit as well

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. It cannot be mixed with limewater (what I use in top off) and magnesium depletion is so very slow that it doesn't need to be added often. Some people never need to add any.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Randy already helped you out. My first thought was there was no way any limewater could raise Mg that much.

Then I read the product page:
  • Formulated by a marine scientist.
:rolleyes:
Shoulda hired a chemist instead.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I read the product page:
  • Formulated by a marine scientist.