Maintaining CA, ALK, MG

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the relationship of the big three and the general acceptance levels and ranges. I keep hearing and being told, also am seeing it in my tank, that mag needs to be steady before cal and alk fall into line and hold steady.

I mag the more "necessary" one to check? Is it the one that could/should be dosed more often?

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
read and heed:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

The first thing you do is get everything in balance (400ppm ca, 8-10dkh, 1350 ppm mag) then make gallon dosing solutions and add equal amounts of the calcium and alk when alk drops down. After using a gallon of cal/alk you dose mag.

materials are calcium chloride (ice melter/ or available at redimix companies to speed hardening of concrete in winter)
drugstore: Epson salts/ baking soda
magnesium chloride with is harder to find but is also used as ice melter. I found a local industrial chemical supplier for this one.

years ago I used to give this stuff away at local frag swaps. calcium chloride was $25 for a 50 pound bag and magnesium chloride was $35 or so. Even found a redimix company that had cal- chlor in 25 pound bags for $8. Cal chlor is more concentrated (94-96% vrs ~70%)

my .02

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I understand. Two part is what I use.

If I test cal and it is low, I dose. Test alk and dose. Test mag and dose.

Should one test mag first and raise it to 1350 BEFORE bothering to test for the other two?

There is quite a bit of talk about alk and cal, but not as much about mag. Almost makes this seemingly imperative element not as vital. But if getting this number "right" brings the other two into line, then it's the more stringent or beneficial one to watch and monitor.

Once a tank is stable and running, I understand dosing cal and alk, then a big dose of mag. But starting out and getting things sorted first is the issue.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back