Majano Wand review

sanchoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, just received the expensive majano wand today. I have tried many other means with my aiptasia war. System 250 display, full of aiptasia. I will give this wand a try and report back.

Copperband- ate aiptasia for the first 3-4 months then he adapted to frozen and never looked back

Peppermint shrimp- added 10 of these 4 years ago, didn't seem to do much. Now their all gone.

Berghia nudi- order a dozen of these 5 years ago,never knew what happened to them.

OP
OP
sanchoy

sanchoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1: every time I tried zapping these buggers they retract, so far not looking good

ncfishguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it with mushrooms they are overtaking my tank

OP
OP
sanchoy

sanchoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: well it's a tool. Not a solution. Every time I try to zap the boogers they would retract into the rock. Unlike kalk paste which shocks them inb place. I was able to get a couple killed, but more than half hid as soon as they felt the burn. Frustrating

OP
OP
sanchoy

sanchoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After several months. Here is my recap review.

the stick now sits in a box on the 3rd drawer in my fish room and has not been touched in months. I would not recommend this tool to anyone who has a large tank, probably will work for smaller tanks, but the hassle of plugging in the unit, and searching and zapping aiptasia that retract anyways is useless. Either way, keep in mind that as soon as you come close to the aiptasia they will retract and unless you get a good fast connection on the aiptasia, the aiptasia will escape back into the crevices. Very very frustrating. If you have a lot of live rock, this tool is useless as there is too many holes/crevices in the rockwork for the aiptasia to fall back into.

The only satisfication, comes when you finally get a good connection on one of the aiptasia, and watch them melt to white goo. But these experiences come far too less often, as the frustration of misses will overwhelm you in the end. The hit/miss ratio for targeted aiptasias that did not escape back into crevices was 30% successful; the frustration rate was 100% though in the end. Don't get me wrong, if the wand connects (that's if), the result is immediate, the aiptasia will melt fast. However, depending on the size of the pest, it still has the potential of retracting back into it's hole. This will leave you even more ticked off. It appeared the aiptasia, sensed that the wand was the wand of death, and at times retracted as soon as it came even near. Unlike, kalk paste (aiptasia X) the aiptasia was not shocked in place where they could not retract.

Stick to kalk paste/ copperband/berghia nudibranchs as those alternatives provide a better rewarding and yet reliable outcome. Think of this wand, as a tool, and definitely not a solution to your problem. In the end, I starved my copperband for 1 week, and his appetite for aiptasia returned. He got rid of all the visible ugly pests. The honest truth is, this is no magic wand that will solve your pest problems; just a reason to stick your hand in your tank to chase aiptasia back into their crevices.

Last edited:

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that you had such poor luck with it. I used one in my old 90 on majano and aiptasia with a pretty good rate of success. Actually, much better than with Kalk paste. Trick is to do it every day a little bit. Glad to hear your copper band did the trick, though

Back