Marine Velvet party in Houston, Tx

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I want to know is "WHY?" And who did it? It's not fair for this beautiful little fish to suffer in the hands of stupid people. It makes me want to give up this hobby. It makes me so sad. ☹️

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relief is on the way. Just be patient. ;)

Trying to. But it breaks my heart every time I see a sick fish. I'll be glad when all the fish we buy are born and raised in a tank instead of us fish-napping them from their homes in the sea. Yes, I know, be patient. Someday.

clownfish chris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a place of of 45 and 1960 in Houston that I have never seen without Velvet and Ich. If I could put that place out of business I would. Great awareness post Jared.

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definitely a problem. I've been in 2 stores in Houston that almost all fish looked sick. I have not been back to either one.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local Petco looked better for awhile but I was there getting dog food last week and saw a few fish with Velvet.

I have 2 other LFS in my area and the fish I got from one of them had Velvet when I got them into my QT. The other store uses low levels of copper in their tanks, so I amped up the copper levels in my QT with those fish before any velvet symptoms could show.

Not a good year to be a fish for sale. :(

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish would take a while to get well. To be honest, I'm about 80% sure he'd die in Copper treatment. I don't have much experience with CP, but that would have been my first choice with this fish due to its weakness.

Although I have tackled one problem at a time like this and have been successful in the end. Now I try to avoid problems in the beginning and use the knowledge I do have for when they arise.

I hope this video will help others better identify some of these parasites.

clownfish chris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is that any commercial system is going to have disease in their systems in much the same way there is disease in the schools we send our children to. If you have a large number of individual sharing a space, it is impossible to never have disease. Now with that in mind LFSs can do prophylactic treatment to keep there systems as healthy as possible. I don't see a problem with a sick fish here and there. I do see a problem with shops dumping healthy fish into diseased tanks without at least replacing the water in the system first only to attempt to sell diseased fish.

bump3rb33tl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a place of of 45 and 1960 in Houston that I have never seen without Velvet and Ich. If I could put that place out of business I would. Great awareness post Jared.
Yep! That one is awful. They had a YT in there for MONTHS that had virtually no dorsal fin, thankfully I was able to talk the manager into giving him to me so I could then talk a great friend into taking him in and now he looks great! The clerk cried when I took him because she was so happy he was going to finally have help, home, and a chance.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back