Marine Velvet party in Houston, Tx

clownfish chris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! That one is awful. They had a YT in there for MONTHS that had virtually no dorsal fin, thankfully I was able to talk the manager into giving him to me so I could then talk a great friend into taking him in and now he looks great! The clerk cried when I took him because she was so happy he was going to finally have help, home, and a chance.
Im not sure we are talking about the same place but I guess we could be. I am talking about Pet City (Not City Pets). Kronk is doing great buy the way!

bump3rb33tl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure we are talking about the same place but I guess we could be. I am talking about Pet City (Not City Pets). Kronk is doing great buy the way!
Oh yes, Pet City (behind McDonalds) is awful. Fish always look sick and starved there. Went in once and left shaking my head. Even the conditions they keep their pups in breaks my heart.

I get confused with my petco/smart lol! Old age sucks lol! I was actually thinking of the Petsmart off of 45/Cypresswood.

Glad Kronk is doing good, I knew you'd take good care of him! Should post a before and current [emoji6]

clownfish chris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill do that! He had HLLE. With good nutrition and a stress free environment he has healed up quite well. He still lives alone. I may try to introduce him into my display.

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in Pa. the same thing . For almost a year velvet in a store in Philadelphia area it's a well known reef store. One wall of tanks I call death row it's been ramped in the store

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chicken :p

This is the kind of save that gets my adrenaline going, while my wife stands behind me shaking her head.

You know I'll do it. lol

I just have a lot going on right now with the new tank i'm trying to start up and my red Mangrove project.

You know like I know that it would be a lot of observation time, salt, meds, and critical thinking with him. He's weak and copper would likely push him over the edge because he's probably already not eating. Angel's are very sensitive to copper anyway. So I would have probably blasted him with a high dose of CP first and then tried to run Prazipro ASAP.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with Petco is that the employee's have their hands tied. Corporate dictates which medications are used in the banks. My store is a magnet store and has three separate banks. Each with its own filtration and sump. I know all the employee's and most managers. I know some of the bigger district managers too. Even they have no say in what medications are used.

The best medication IMO is copper. However, then you run into the issue of sensitive species. CP might be a good option, but I have little experience with it. I may do a video with CP since I have a truck load of it at my house. I'll go pick up the most jacked up fish like the one in the video and will make another video devoted to CP treatment.

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco stores here in my pa area are filled with ick and velvet.you would be crazy to buy a fish from there.They would be better off if they didn't carry saltwater fish they run those dollar a gallon tank sales to get people into the hobby only to have them drop out when they buy there sick fish

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO...just about all LFS are the same to me. They all have everything under the sun. Some are just better at controlling the symptoms. Most LFS have a fish only system that is sitting on copper, but not at a therapeutic level, nor is it tested on a daily or weekly basis. So to me, it really makes no difference where I get the fish. I get my fishes in batches that are species specific so I can treat with copper or other medications when needed. Example: I won't buy an angel with other fish unless it's a great deal or I find one I really like. Buy your hardy fish in one batch and your more sensitive fish in another batch. Have a plan for both batches.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this I always think it's good for people to be able to see quality footage of pests so they can accurately dx for themselves!

I tried to save a blue tang in similar shape at a petco and unfortunately he didn't survive the night. It's not a pursuit I plan to do often but that said every attempt will improve quarantine skills.

Won't the lymph clear up on its own? If the fish survives tx with everything else obviously.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kind of at the point where I may go copper on all new fish purchases. At least until I can find a CP prescription but I won't hold my breath there.

lthary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kind of at the point where I may go copper on all new fish purchases. At least until I can find a CP prescription but I won't hold my breath there.

What is CP and what is use for?

bump3rb33tl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a new wholesaler here in the Houston area. He will hold, qt and treat if necessary your fish...then he goes the extra mile and personally delivers and helps you acclimate your fish on any order over $35. Send pics and video's as well. Not to mention his prices are amazing! I have 6 fish coming next weekend, can't wait!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back