Marine Velvet party in Houston, Tx

bump3rb33tl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Antonio's own words as quoted from a MARSH forum question posted by ATXacrofarmer...

Is there a storefront? Also, what is the quarantine and treatment procedure for all fish?

First off our operation starts officially in January 2017, and even then our facilities will be by appointment only. We have a specific business model that we like to follow in that regard. So store front in a different way.

The qt process is simple. Fish get sourced from only the best suppliers world wide, upon arrival they go in qt, where they remain for no less than 14 days, I have had fish in qt since June that has not been released yet for various reasons. During the 14 days they get treated for any illness/disease that they may already have or that has developed from the travel, or the treatments are preventative measures.

Each fish is different in it's tollorance to certain medications, but get treated by fresh water dips/copper/fungal medications/ deworming etc. Which ever is appropriate to the fish. But importantly not over doing it as there is no need to add stress to an already stressed animal. Once we are satisfied that the fish are healthy and eating they get released for sale.

Saying we supply the "perfect" fish would be naive and irresponsible, but I am confident in saying that we have given the fish/invert a great shot at survival. I am also not saying that you can't get great fish elsewhere either and people have preferences and relationships that are important.

Ultimately it is how the hobbyist maintains his/her own system that will determine the fish's long term well-being. If you have an Ich problem in your tank adding a healthy fish to the system will have its effects on the fish, also it's a living animal and may be fine today and have a serious problem tomorrow. Some fish are just more hardy than others. Salinity water temperature, flow, water oxygen levels to name a few play a big role in successful transition from let's call it "lfs" to home aqauriums. Regardless of our treatments we still incourage people to qt fish and get them used to your systems water qualities and your habits either feeding or husbandry. As we know every hobbyist has his preference on choices be it hardware, water changes (I can tell you about a hobbyist who hasn't done a water change in over 5 years and has a great system) or feeding. Our fish are given a variety of frozen/pellets and flakes to ensure the fish is customed to it's "new" food it receives from you.

We take great pride in our line of work, and we take pride in our "product". I hope this answers your question. You are more than welcome to pm me or even contact me should you require any further information.

Kind Regards,
The EMF family

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just saying that 7/16 in observation isn't a guarantee QT.
Velvet can be as a shadow in a fish for days if not weeks, 16 days aren't going to cut it.
Yes it's more than most LFS but it ain't the save way.
You can have a tank with Ick for years by keeping fish healthy eaters and no stress you'll be fine but it's just ticking timebomb.
Always QT your livestock yourself.

Last edited:

bump3rb33tl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just saying that 7/16 in observation isn't a guarantee QT.
Velvet can be as a shadow in a fish for days if not weeks, 16 days aren't going to cut it.
Yes it's more than most LFS but it ain't the save way.
You can have a tank with Ick for years by keeping fish healthy eaters and no stress you'll be fine but it's just sticking timebomb.
Always QT your livestock yourself.
I couldnt agree more :)

I dont believe anyone is saying not to do it, or that the need isnt still there. It is the sole responsibility of the owner to QT anything before placing in your tank. I'm just happy to have a little help on the other end from the supplier to be pro-active in helping to ensure the fish they put out there are as healthy as they can help them to be and I am always thankful for a team effort from beginning to end :) when it comes to happy and healthy fish.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That are the right words "the sole responsibility to the owner/hobbyist to quarantine" you owe it to your new fish and the ones already in your tank.
Anything less doesn't count as a responsible hobbyist now days.

I know they are strong words but here we as R2R can stress it over and over to do so.

PaddySA13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes things are hard to express in a quick response without giving to much away.

I however did say I still recommend further QT, because there is no such thing as a "perfect" fish. :)

QT is a must always even if you dive the fish out of the ocean yourself!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That are the right words "the sole responsibility to the owner/hobbyist to quarantine" you owe it to your new fish and the ones already in your tank.
Anything less doesn't count as a responsible hobbyist now days.

I know they are strong words but here we as R2R can stress it over and over to do so.
+1 unfortunately you can really only trust your own QT. That said buying from someone that at least tries is a good start for you to buy fish to put into your own QT.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here a note from the vendor mentioned above posted today,

Quote),
Do I have to QT?
Must I still QT my fish I get from EMF?

I get asked this question a lot and there really is only one right answer.

YES! Absolutely.

We spend a lot of time and resources in our processes but it is essential that regardless of where you get your fish, lfs another hobbyist, online, collected from the ocean yourself etc, QT'ing the fish is vitally important.

We will always strive to ensure that the fish we supply are the healthiest available, and we do take our time in releasing some fish and take preventative measures but it's important that every hobbyist take the time to QT any and all new arrivals regardless of where they come from.

You also don't need the latest and greatest of QT setups and you don't always need to bash the QT'D fish with copper or meds but if a fish is ill, let it rather be ill in a QT tank than the DT.

If you have any further questions please be in contact,( end quote.

Before they stated a 7/16 days but that should be handled as a observation period.
We all know that many don't have a QT setup but it's so simple to do, than all you need is time 6 till 8 weeks min.
If you don't have that than why are you in this hobby?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back