max fish for a 24g reef tank

Anero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know there are variables to this question, but on average how many fish do you think would be ok for a 24g. I know i would like to keep a pair of clowns and was thinking about a flame angel.

currently i have 2 fire shrimp in my tank and about 5 hermit crabs and 5 snails

jaydm93teg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thing the rule of thumb is like 1 inch of fish per 4 gallons of water or something like that?? that being said 24 divided by 4 is 6 so you could keep 6 inches of fish in there.......and you have to consider how big they would be full grown not how big they are when you buy them.....i Had a 29 gallon and kept 2 green chromis a bar goby a firefish and a ebili angel...........i think you would be fine with the flame and pair of clows if thats all you are wanting

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 24g, I had a yellow watchman goby, a chromis, 2 false perc clowns, a yellow clown goby and toward the end, a coral beauty (was getting beat up in my 55g). I personally thought that was pushing the limits and didn't feel good about having the angel in there.

Everyone is now in my 180 with plenty of room.

Best thing is to make sure the fish are appropriate for the size of the tank (there's a good list on nano-reef.com), add them slowly and monitor the tank. You'll know when there is too much in there when you are changing water every week to keep up with the nitrates or if the fish are hiding because they are unhappy.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back