Votes: 175 49.0%

• Total voters

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they make a wonderful couple. lol. My tank is 60X35X21 and I have one gyre 150 + mp40 on one side of the tank. Together they generate very random flow. I get small ripples across the tank like small waves. I couldn't believe they compliment each other so well. And it's very minimal look with no giant pumps obstructing my view. I am also able to place SPS corals anywhere in my tank. I think I have found the best flow solution for my tank until they come out with something better/newer. :)

Pulling another page out of your book kid. I like your style haha. I ordered mp40 and a 150 gyre For my new 120g. It has a center overflow I'm going to mount the gyre vertically on side wall of over flow hopefully create a circular motion around the tank.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of surprised, I thought the gyre would win hands down. If you vote can you please explain why you voted the way you did? IT would be very helpful

sucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of surprised, I thought the gyre would win hands down. If you vote can you please explain why you voted the way you did? IT would be very helpful
It depends on what you have in your tank. I have mix reef and just removed the gyre out of my tank. It gave me overflow at the bottom. If I turn it down then my sps on top don't get enough flow. IMO gyre is no good for mix reef tank

Last edited:

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd prefer a gyre for tanks longer than 4'. If you have a cube (like me) I'd prefer Vortechs. In the end, both are great pumps that will function great.

CORAL JUNKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd prefer a gyre for tanks longer than 4'. If you have a cube (like me) I'd prefer Vortechs. In the end, both are great pumps that will function great.

What size is your cube ? I have a Marineland 93 gal. Cube And am trying to decide what would work best for my set up . It's a mixed reef . No SPS yet but hopefully soon.

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your cube ? I have a Marineland 93 gal. Cube And am trying to decide what would work best for my set up . It's a mixed reef . No SPS yet but hopefully soon.

93 frameless same cube. Vortechs work awesome on it. Had the Gyre 150 in it and I couldn't find that harmonic flow my corals crave. Brought it back and grabbed an MP40W. I'll most likely purchase their new Quiet Drive when they're released.

CORAL JUNKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
93 frameless same cube. Vortechs work awesome on it. Had the Gyre 150 in it and I couldn't find that harmonic flow my corals crave. Brought it back and grabbed an MP40W. I'll most likely purchase their new Quiet Drive when they're released.

Just one ? Location? And what type of corals ? Thanks

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one ? Location? And what type of corals ? Thanks

The pump is located on the side glass near the overflow box since I tee'd off the return line to have 4 nozzles pointed in different directions. Mixed reef, LPS, some SPS (mostly montis) no Acros though. Have 5 nems also.

msderganc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I definitely prefer the flow on the Gyre for my tank. But, as some of the others have stated, it really depends on your rock work, stocking, and dimensions.

I think if I had a more open aquascape, the Gyre wouldn't have as much of an advantage.

Conversely, I think it really shines in situations like peninsula tanks where you can basically hide it on the non viewing glass and it pushes the whole length.

I think a lot of it is the fact that relatively few people have used Gyres compared to Vortech, so they're just going on a lot of the initial impressions from forums.

vanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
93g cube here with the same question about gyre. I was thinking a single 150 since you can dial it down. But if it creates just a whirlpool, then I'm not sure if it's the right pump for me. My tank is mostly fish only with softies and 5 btas.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to post back and tell us how you like your new XF-130 NanaReefer.

Most definitely :) I'm thinking it will work very well with my scape.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424228789.948643.jpg

ShinerMaginer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to make the decision between these myself. Looking at the Vortech site, it says that there is a Gyre Mode, using clockwise and counterclockwise flow levels? Is it actually changing propeller directions, or using water flow at alternating intervals to create this?

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to make the decision between these myself. Looking at the Vortech site, it says that there is a Gyre Mode, using clockwise and counterclockwise flow levels? Is it actually changing propeller directions, or using water flow at alternating intervals to create this?
They renamed 'Long Pulse Mode' to 'Gyre Mode'. No change.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back