• Maxspect Gyre

Votes: 175 49.0%

• Total voters

ShinerMaginer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Jedi knows all! I have a 200DD, so I was considering a Gyre on the back glass, between the overflows, and then probably MP's on either end (one towards the front, one to the back on the other side). Anyone using a combo in this way? My tank is 48L by 36W.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Jedi knows all! I have a 200DD, so I was considering a Gyre on the back glass, between the overflows, and then probably MP's on either end (one towards the front, one to the back on the other side). Anyone using a combo in this way? My tank is 48L by 36W.
I wouldn't go that far lol, all I did was look at the literature from Ecotech and put two and two together :)

I haven't seen anyone use a Gyre like that at this point. That's a difficult tank to get good flow in.

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you would be better off putting gyre on the side and vortech on the back.

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Gyre on one end of my 48" 120, horizontal an inch from the top.

I have an MP-10 on the back wall facing forward just below the Gyre. I have found the one spot of poor flow is just below the Gyre where it is pulling new water in. My SPS in that corner were not getting a ton of flow.

That being said, I voted and I would say Gyre, hands down, no doubt about it. I have used both, the Gyre wins.

Frankly, I have never understood the "no parts in the tank" selling point of Vortechs (unless they are mounted on the back wall.) I view the tank from the outside in, and I don't want "Mickey Mouse ears" obstructing that view.

With the new magnet mount for my XF150, my pump is silent even at 80% on pulse mode. I have to walk up and put my ear to the glass to hear it. My MP-10 is easily the loudest thing on my tank.

Nomadic1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used virtually every power head that has come out in the last 13 years. Only the gyre has managed to strip coral flesh off my large SPS colonies at over two feet away from the pump. It's just as loud as the mp40, but at least the mp40 has an excuse that the noise generating part is outside of the tank, making it more likely to be heard. The gyre is submerged and is just as noisy. Compare this to the Tunzes, Jebaos, korallias, maxijets with algae free mods, and the racket the gyre makes is inexcusable, because all the other submerged pumps listed above are virtually silent. Gyre looks impressive in newbie tanks that have hardly any stock, little live rock, etc. but when you put it on a ten year old tank with much live rock and large, mature colonies like mine, you'll quickly see how un impressive and harmful it really is to the livestock. I also doubt it will last ten+ years, as my Ecotech and Tunze pumps have.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used virtually every power head that has come out in the last 13 years. Only the gyre has managed to strip coral flesh off my large SPS colonies at over two feet away from the pump. It's just as loud as the mp40, but at least the mp40 has an excuse that the noise generating part is outside of the tank, making it more likely to be heard. The gyre is submerged and is just as noisy. Compare this to the Tunzes, Jebaos, korallias, maxijets with algae free mods, and the racket the gyre makes is inexcusable, because all the other submerged pumps listed above are virtually silent. Gyre looks impressive in newbie tanks that have hardly any stock, little live rock, etc. but when you put it on a ten year old tank with much live rock and large, mature colonies like mine, you'll quickly see how un impressive and harmful it really is to the livestock. I also doubt it will last ten+ years, as my Ecotech and Tunze pumps have.

I disagree with your conclusions and am sorry you had such a bad experience. But isn't that what is nice about having so many options on the marketplace now!

So.... you didn't like it then? :wink:

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am sorry that you have had this poor experience with the Gyre. I can personally attest to the new mount making this thing virtually silent. As in, at 80% on pulse mode I have to put my ear to the glass in order to hear it. And my #1 complaint was noise prior to getting the new mount.

Of course, this all could just be because I am a Newbie, and when I get on your level with massive, mature colonies, maybe my views will change.

ghostman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not my experience at all, and I'm sorry you had a bad one. My gyre is absolutely silent, not just quiet, but silent. I also disagree with the statement about mature colonies. The larger laminar flow is exactly what my large acro colonies need. My vortechs moved more water, but only in small area. IME, the gyre is the BEST option for larger colonies and mature reefs.

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the xf130 on my nano and are only using half of it because it didn't fit like I planned. My fault, I was thinking of the outside dimensions of my tank.
That being said, it moves more than enough water in my tank at 42" long.
My MP10 bearings went recently and now I'm glad about it. I'm seeing if it's still in the warranty period to use on my frag tank.

Edit:
The xf130 is quieter than my kessil fans.

Last edited:

Robert_ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 with a gyre on one side and a mp40 on the other. When both at full speed the collision of water is a foot from the mp40 which shows the gyre moves WAY more water then the 40. I would like to see a mp style controller to communicate with another but straight out of the box 1 to 1 the gyre hands down is better.

ksr.aaron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got 2 gyre 150s today to TRY them against 1 MP40 and 1 MP60
tank is a 175 Bowfront 3' tall 4'wide

turned both MPs off through 1 Gyre 150 in top left side at 60% I have complete movement in every dead spot I used to have and cant find any spots after I fed alittle heavy and watched food roll around the tank. It is very quite compared to MPs and more effeciant by far, I think I am going to leave it 1 in my display and 1 in my 6' sps tank and mp40 on other end to give that little extra push

All in all very happy and we will see how it pans out!

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feel like my 150 does squat compared to the mp40. When I put my hand in front of both of them it's obvious the 40 is moving more water. I'm beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with mine.

Robert_ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feel like my 150 does squat compared to the mp40. When I put my hand in front of both of them it's obvious the 40 is moving more water. I'm beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with mine.
The 40 will fell like more water is moved because it's concentrated through a 2" circle. The gyre is spread out over what.... 11-12". Just watch the effects of the water with each one on seperately. It will be obvious.

Robert_ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try it
I am using 1 of each facing each other on each side of the tank. The main water turbulence is real close to the mp40 which means the gyre is overpowering the 40. I was sold on 40s but with the way my tank is I can't put a 40 on the other side so I went with a gyre. Now I'm thinking of changing my 40 to another gyre.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really gotta take time with the Gyre, get to know it so to speak. I've been playing with my XF-130 for the past 3 days. It is nothing like the Vortech flow wise. My first time trying the Gyre option, I thought it stopped because I saw no surface movement at all. But upon closer inspection I saw the sand moving very gently beneath the pump itself, we'll go figure. It was running in reverse and my flow setting was so low, just 20% that it wasn't really doing to much. Oh and my cages were still in the factory position. I didn't read that I could rotate those too-lol. Sooo I played around some more, rotating the cages a little bit, up/down. Turned the flow up to 30%, definitely can't go any higher in my 40B and la de da, got the flow going on!!
I'm so loving this pump! My 5yr old Candy Cane shows sweeper extension before light out. First time ever has it done this. The PE on my Birds Nest is amazing.
Even better, I don't think I'm even close to finding that so called sweet spot yet :)

niftyjosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I traded 2 mp10s and a few acro frags for a 130 and wow I wish I could could go back on that trade. I HATE the gyre.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back