OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 gyre in my 36x14x16 and it works really well, I think a gyre would be a good fit for that size tank

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run 2 Gyre XF130 in my 120 gallon mix reef tank! My buddy has the MP40 AND i think that the Gyre leaves you with less Dead spots then the M-40 and it's a lot less noisy.

Tank info:
120 Mixed Reef
Ecotech M1 pump
Skimz 163 DC Montzer Series skimmer
Custom sump / Refuge
2 Maxspect Gyre XF130's Pumps
2 AI Hydra TwentySix HD LED Fixtures
Celestial C35W Maxspect Grow Spot light
Aqua UV Ultraviolet Sterilizer 25w
BRS Dual Media reactor
Eshoops IV Master doser
Tunze 3155 Auto Top Off

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted Vortech, I have two mp40's and will be upgrading to the QD or picking up entirely new units in the future. I just love the look of them and flow pattern, I don't have issues with dead spots. The look of the gyre just doesn't do it for me despite how good people say it is.
Have you ever tried on in your tank before?

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the Gyre XF130 on my 40B for 1yr. It is now sitting in a box waiting to be shipped out to a friend. Sold it to him for $100 and I feel bad taking that much from him.
The pump pushes water and that's all it does. Dead spots are totally dependent on your rock scape, I had plenty dead spots. Detritus accumulated directly under the pump and at the opposite end.
What I can't stand is how they've demonstrated this pumps flow pattern in completely empty tanks. They do not work this way in a tank full of rock!
In my 7yrs reefing this was one of my worst purchases.

I'm 100% more satisfied with my 2x Jebao RW4's.
You'll be a lot happier with EcoTech.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the Gyre XF130 on my 40B for 1yr. It is now sitting in a box waiting to be shipped out to a friend. Sold it to him for $100 and I feel bad taking that much from him.
The pump pushes water and that's all it does. Dead spots are totally dependent on your rock scape, I had plenty dead spots. Detritus accumulated directly under the pump and at the opposite end.
What I can't stand is how they've demonstrated this pumps flow pattern in completely empty tanks. They do not work this way in a tank full of rock!
In my 7yrs reefing this was one of my worst purchases.

I'm 100% more satisfied with my 2x Jebao RW4's.
You'll be a lot happier with EcoTech.

I hate to say it but I would agree with you on alot of what you said! I to have dead spots in my 180g using two gyre's. I was told I am running them wrong because I have dead spots........not the case. I have been thinking of going back to normal powerheads for a while now. What I can tell you is you MUST keep these guys super clean in order to get great flow as they really slow down as they get gunked up, much more so that a powerhead. I personally think I'd be better off having 4 powerheads vs two gyre's. I also think they are a bit of an eye sore being so large.

DVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single GYRE XF230 in a 24" x 12" tank and it is night and day difference from the single MP10 I had in there before. Much better flow and no dead spots in the tank that I can detect. My coral seems to like it better as well, as I've consistently seen better pe after adding it. I have it set to random mode and 40%. My MP10 was set to rc mode and 75% and I still had dead spots, so two would have been needed to produce the flow I'm getting with the one GYRE. I do think it is dependent on your rock scape. My GYRE pushes water above the rock scape to the opposite wall and then rolls down and back. My rocks are arraigned as a loose open structured island not touching glass on any side.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The vote is tied!

barbarag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 8 power heads in my 150 and it barely made my water flow then I got the gyeo almost a year and a half ago took out all 8 and now I have flow like crazy and I have a lot of rock in my tank . I absolutely love the gyro , have never had the others and never will because I am so happy with the gyro

Squibbles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run multiple configurations of gyres and vortechs, the initial generation of gyres (130/150) were ok. I've since upgraded to two of the XF280s and am looking at removing the MP60s as the flow provided by the new big boy gyres and flow type options with the linked controller more than handles my sps dominant 210 with no noticable dead spots in around my rock scape. The gyres also help prevent blenny decapitation through the new included nylon mesh covers. One of my starry blennys decided to perch inside the mp60 housing during feed mode and was subsequently blended :(

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an amazing thread .. I currently have a gyre 130 and 2 6055 planned for my 30 in x 30 in x 18 in tank .
Do you think it makes sense to swap the gyre for a mp10 or a mp40 if its supposed to be a sps dominant tank?

Regards,
Abhishek

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... my two cents worth. I got a gyre for my 180 when I first set it up. It moves water! That said....I have had to reaplace paddles so many times I have forgotten. The dang small snails do a number on it. Mine was also fairly loud...particularly in a pulse mode. I then added an MP40 and have really liked the programability of it via their cloud app along with my Radions. The gyre controller stinks and I like the ecosmart cloud app to control things. But...what put the final straw was a small shock I got from the gyre. The wire / drive connection seal failed and corrosion built up unnoticed. I was making an adjustment and felt a tingling sensation in my arm. Not a complete shock....but a sensation. I removed the entire assembly and sure enough it had failed... the manufacturer did replace the drive....the paddles... I then upgraded to the flex mounts hoping it would be quieter....it wasn't.

I finally gave up on it. It is a great pump....if the paddles were more robust and the cages were better designed...and if the quality issues were fully resolved. Lastly....controller. It would be much better if you can do more robust programming of modes. My gyre is collecting dust in the basement fishroom. I have removed it from my tank all together as I had someone sleeping in the front room where the tank is. They complained about the pulsing of the gyre. I just never reinstalled it. I am getting great flow with the MP without the hassle. I do want to add a second MP and will do so at some point when I tear down one of my other tanks.

I hope this helps.

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had both MP20 and MP40's, and still have one of the original xf150's with original controller, but rugged props. One pump gives my 135g peninsula great water movement. Might upgrade to the newer pump with controller eventually but honestly would never go back to vortechs. Vortechs are great pumps but imo the gyre is superior.

Paul Carpenter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of 2 vortechs once I got a gyre and saw it in action. I love it. The only thing that is needed now is a controller like the vortechs have so that you can have 2 pumps working together. I'd really like to be able to have one going for 2-3 minutes in one direction, then the other one turn on the opposite direction every 2-3 minutes. That would really recreate what flow is like in the ocean.
Currently I use the forward-reverse mode on the factory controller and it kind of sucks because the reverse flow is very very poor. They call it "turbulent" flow, but really flow just stops except for right in front of the pump. It works fine, my corals are very happy with the current set up, but I think a true reverse flow from a 2nd pump would be much better.
Gyre just came out with a new controller that links two gyrea
I got rid of 2 vortechs once I got a gyre and saw it in action. I love it. The only thing that is needed now is a controller like the vortechs have so that you can have 2 pumps working together. I'd really like to be able to have one going for 2-3 minutes in one direction, then the other one turn on the opposite direction every 2-3 minutes. That would really recreate what flow is like in the ocean.
Currently I use the forward-reverse mode on the factory controller and it kind of sucks because the reverse flow is very very poor. They call it "turbulent" flow, but really flow just stops except for right in front of the pump. It works fine, my corals are very happy with the current set up, but I think a true reverse flow from a 2nd pump would be much better.
thet just advertised their new controller which accomplishes what you want. Gyre.

rob G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of surprised that size is an issue here. While I do not have an Ecotech pump, I run two Tunze 6105s but I think this is still relevant to this thread. I currently have the two 6105s at one end of my 360 gallon and one xf150 on the other (a few smaller non controllable powerheads throughout to help with dead spots in addition). It looks to me like the Gyre moves water more effectively than the two 6105s combined and was pleased at how low profile the Gyre was in comparison. It is set up horizontally so I only really see the side profile. I have seen plenty of Ecotech MPs on tanks that are just, if not more noticeable to the eye. The Gyre does use more space because of its length, but not noticeable peering through the front panel. I personally have not detected any noise issues with the Gyre and the magnet works great on the 3/4"sides. I have had to clean the Gyre about as often as the Tunze pumps and have seen with both these pumps and my Waveline return pump, a more notable difference in performance if you do not stay on top of cleaning them, compared to the old energy hogs we used to use. I had Rio and Via Aqua pumps that would just go and go with no attention. These all do seem a bit more fussy........and expensive......Should we all just revert to the old Closed Loop????? I don't think so....

drukyulgoods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great point. :) If Maxspect ever releases a comparable controller to the MP controller AND makes it Apex ready I cannot see EcoTech being the top pump any longer.

A maxspect icecap Apex to Gyre interface exists (~$90@) making it fully Apex compatable. I have 2 150 gyres on the sides of my 180 gallon and 2 mp 40's on the back side all running through my Apex for over a year now.

Gyres are great and I'll never go back to Vortechs on the tank sides. That stated, Gyres are a bear with respect to ongoing maintenance. The new propellers helped but I've had to replace both of mine since the initial install. I'm thinking of trying out the Neptune waves to see how they stack up to the gyres on the sides. If they perform like the vortech, I'll stick with the gyres and suck it up.

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2303.JPG
I've got to go with the gyre for my 12' island tank, 27' of viewing area ,I've recently had the misfortune of having one of two 150!gyre motors have an issue, part replacement and product support were very good (I got a really nice sps out of the deal).Logistics perhaps an issue.... I've had to replace that one pump in the meantime
With 3 others that vary from 180gphr to 317gphr and 600gphr hydor.running st the same time.They do not come even remotely desirable in comparison, I have upgraded the controller to the new 200 series which is very user friendly with many options .I look forward to running both pumps off one controller Personally I'd like to upgrade to the 280 for this particular tank,I would consider using the hydor in my 10g -20g QTs.this is just my opinion based on personal experience

Last edited:

spllbnd2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller sized tanks and tanks less then 36"wide the vortech have it hand down. But for larger tanks that have the room for the gyre the are awesome. Just my opinion.

Cheers,
Alex

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back