Maxspect RipTide Owners Thread

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they come out with the advanced controller two pumps will be able to work in sync.

Still trying to figure out the feed mode thing. They make a point of saying it will return to the previous mode yet from what I see the previous mode will always be alternating.

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made 2 2 minute videos comparing the new riptide to my existing set up.

I turned off my return pump for the comparison. My tank is 64" long.

My regular pump set up has 4 front facing power heads that I think are 540 gph each and one has a spinner. Then I have 2 mp 40s set at 70 pct on each end of the tank.

Choffs regular pumps: http://youtu.be/lASN1GoIkJo

The riptide is set to continuous mode at 40 pct power.

Choffs riptide: http://youtu.be/MfBQAlifVDc

My take. Noise is a low hum. Above 40 pct it gets louder and higher pitched, but in comparison to an mp40 its quiet. There are 4 modes. Continuous, pulse (you can set the time between pulses), alternating which reverses the flow at set intervals and finally feed mode.

I thought I was going to like alternating because the low flow spot for me is right under the unit(look that the yellow plate coral and bubble coral in the vids). Reverse would have cured that as well as given some variation in flow. Problem is in reverse its too strong directly below the unit. It might be great for other set ups, but not mine. I'm going with pulse and I think I'm going to keep 2 of the 4 front facing power heads on. This will solve my one dead spot issue, give me some variable flow and I need some flow in that back chamber to prevent stagnation back there.

They supply you with a spare set of rotors and cages. This leads me to believe that they know the life expectancy of these rotors is relatively low and something that may need to be replaced every 6 months to a year.

Overall very, very satisfied and would certainly suggest buying one if you have a lot of pumps in your tank and want to lean out the look and save some electricity.

...stupid auto correct

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reason the Feed Mode issue resolved itself. It does now return to the previous mode. Healed itself. :)

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty "pumped" about this maxspect gyre. I was set to get it and was told it would be too big for my 120g 3x3x22" cube and I should wait for the smaller version. Is anybody running it on a tank similar to my footprint?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine yesterday. I have been collecting pumps for my 120 upgrade and just using them in my 65g. I was running 2 mp40's anti-sync at around 60% and 1 mp10 around 50% all in reef crest. I pulled all those out and put the riptide in the 65g 36" long. Even with all that flow in a smaller tank with the vortechs I still had dead spots, the flow for the upper sps was amazing. Well the riptide is just bonkers. Right now I am running it at 30% in pulse mode, because I had areas that were more dead before I had some bubble coral and feather dusters there... well I need to re position them now. I like lots of flow and once I get coral sorted I will run it around 50% on the 36" tank. I am planning on using it on the rear wall of the 120 along with the mp40's on the side. It's a really really cool watermover, just have to watch shear on the bottom corals.

Fish76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine still has not healed itself.

Not sure which thread I saw it in but Carlos@coralvue said that if you turn the dial too slow to feed mode, it will think that alternating mode was your last setting (since it's next to feed mode). I guess you gotta turn the dial fast. Let us know if this "heals" it, hahaha.

Last edited:

Biglittlerockreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have watched all of the videos surrounding this pump but I'm just curious as to how effective it will be in a tank with lots of rock work. Just trying to imagine how effective would the gyre flow be when facing more than a 7' long frag tank or a 120g with 50 pounds of live rock...I'll keep following threads to see!

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed mine!
Crazy how it moves the entire volume of water. Conventional stream type pumps cannot even come close to this type of movement! Have used Waveboxes in the past and not even close.
I now have $1k in Tunze equipment that will no longer be needed.

Cannot say enough..there are NO dead spots anywhere. Also no apparent issue w/ a center overflow, it actually feeds the overflow nicely as it creates a Venturi forcing more waste into it.

Best $299 ever spent

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed mine!
Crazy how it moves the entire volume of water. Conventional stream type pumps cannot even come close to this type of movement! Have used Waveboxes in the past and not even close.
I now have $1k in Tunze equipment that will no longer be needed.

Cannot say enough..there are NO dead spots anywhere. Also no apparent issue w/ a center overflow, it actually feeds the overflow nicely as it creates a Venturi forcing more waste into it.

Best $299 ever spent

Couldn't agree with you more at this point, the water surface has crazy turbulence!

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine still has not healed itself.
That was my reply on another thread. If I hit the button fast to get to feed mode it does return to the previous mode not alternating. If you pause at any mode it will see that as the "previous" mode. Hitting the button fast did solve the problem. For me anyway.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's sounding like I may have 2 mp40wes' for sale soon. Lol! Do what do they mean by"basic controller"? What options does it have

Has 10-100% speed settings, pulse mode, reverse mode, feed mode, forget what other modes it has, I just run mine on constant. Has most of what you need.

Biglittlerockreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds cool! I see lots of complaints about faulty equipment, which is understandable with new products, so I'm going to wait a while till they work out all the kinks but it sounds like its living up to expectations! Not a bad price tag either! Thanks for the input!

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my reply on another thread. If I hit the button fast to get to feed mode it does return to the previous mode not alternating. If you pause at any mode it will see that as the "previous" mode. Hitting the button fast did solve the problem. For me anyway.

+I Thanks for the ifo mine is working great now.

msderganc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XPOST RC:

For those of you with louder pumps, how thick is your glass?

Mine is 3/8", and like someone else had noticed, the pump was nearly silent when pulled away from the glass. I tried that as well, and found the same thing. I put two strips of neoprene on each side, and it made the pump about half as loud (still not as quiet as off the glass entirely).

My guess is that the magnet is rated for 3/4" glass, so on my thickness it compresses the pads more, and causes the vibration. I'm thinking it needs some sort of spacer (similar to how the Vortech is set up) in order to reduce vibration with different glass/acrylic thicknesses.

jester17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48x24x24 and my riptide is on 30% and positioned nearly to the water level and it is still pulling all my sand towards the pump. Any suggestions on how to stop this

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XPOST RC:

For those of you with louder pumps, how thick is your glass?

Mine is 3/8", and like someone else had noticed, the pump was nearly silent when pulled away from the glass. I tried that as well, and found the same thing. I put two strips of neoprene on each side, and it made the pump about half as loud (still not as quiet as off the glass entirely).

My guess is that the magnet is rated for 3/4" glass, so on my thickness it compresses the pads more, and causes the vibration. I'm thinking it needs some sort of spacer (similar to how the Vortech is set up) in order to reduce vibration with different glass/acrylic thicknesses.

Mine is on 3/4" and is nearly silent. You might be on to something.

Last edited:
OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48x24x24 and my riptide is on 30% and positioned nearly to the water level and it is still pulling all my sand towards the pump. Any suggestions on how to stop this

You may be able to try micro-adjustments on the housings, this can aim the water output higher or lower, even a sub-millimeter adjustment has a noticeable effect, just squeeze and turn them slightly, then turn the pump back on to see if it reduces the sand movement.

How fine is your sand?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back