Maxspect RipTide Owners Thread

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a 180gal 72/24/24 How many of these would I need? Going to have 2 returns comming back into the tank as well mabe place them on the side to shoot lengthwise with the flow of the Riptide?

I am curious what you ended up with. I just set up a 180 with a basement sump.... Using a Hammerhead for a return pump...with four outlets across the back of the tank. I am using one Gyre in a vertical position on the left side about 2"s off of the front glass...and I have plenty of flow.....at 50% on the Gyre. Two of the things might be too much.... Just wondering.

seargentslice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with a 150 gal allowing me to reuse much of my equipment. After much debate I'm holding off on the gyre for the time being till Maxspect irons out the current problems associated with the pump. Good to know one is working for you I've heard the pumps don't function as well in the vertical position have you tried both orientation's yet?

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with a 150 gal allowing me to reuse much of my equipment. After much debate I'm holding off on the gyre for the time being till Maxspect irons out the current problems associated with the pump. Good to know one is working for you I've heard the pumps don't function as well in the vertical position have you tried both orientation's yet?

My pump has been operating flawlessly, I think as time goes on the problems with other pumps will get worked out. Luckily I haven't had any issues, for the most part I haven't heard that many complaints.

I've run my pump in both the vertical and horizontal positions. The performances wasn't as good in the vertical position because it has way more resistance. In the horizontal position it can more easily push the water because it's at the surface. That's my theory at least.

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine just came in yesterday. I have it on my 180 and wow what a pump. It has replaced 4 Sicce Voyager 4 powerheads (1600 GPH Each) and provides more flow in the tank.

nrbelk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else had a problem with the sticky pads falling off? I had mine stuck to the back of the tank (out of site yet still easily accessible) but after 3 weeks they both fell off. The sticky pad is stuck to the plastic holder but doesn't stick to the glass anymore. Anyone find one from another store that works better? If so what brand and which store?

Saltwater on the brain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Gyre on the side wall of a 90 gallon Oceanic Tech tank...starphire glass - 3/4" thick. Works perfectly...can run as high as I want...but usually run at about 40-50% because any higher and it disrupts my sandbed too much.
Makes a sweet wave when dialed in. I don't use the reverse flow. Eliminated my 2 MP40's. Day 1 of hooking up the Gyre it kicked up a ton of detritus that the mp40's apparently weren't strong enough to agitate off the sand bed.
Hands down a fantastic pump, would buy it again in a heartbeat.

ONLY qualm is that it doesn't have the wireless functionality of the vortech's...and can't be programmed to different modes throughout the day. But doesn't bother me as the performance is much better than vortech.

vvjosh06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got mine installed today on my 125gallon. 72x24Tx18. Currently placed horizontal on the end opposite of my overflow. I tried all the modes and like constant for now. Using at 50% tried 60% but my torch seems to hate it lol. My maxima doesn't seem to mind it tho which is good. The fish seem to like it. I already decommissioned my 2 koralia 1500's. No dead spots with this thing. Great flow everywhere. I noticed someone posted about the extra parts. They're there so you can create different combinations of rotors i.e. a-a,a-b,b-b for different flow patterns. And the extra bushings are in case you need them. Overall I love this product. Only had it running 12 hours but very quiet and lots of water movement.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 180g that I placed the Gyre on a side panel 2" below the water surface. It's running for about 2 weeks now and the sound is about the same. I use to have two MP40s on the sides and two Tunze 6055s on the back. All these pumps were pulled when I installed the Gyre. While the flow is impressive I don't think it creates a diverse flow as the previous setup but I am staying with the Gyre for now. I personally think that my MP40s were more quiet but I failed to measure the sound before taking them down so it's just an opinion at this point. I run the Gyre at 60% 4s pulse during the day (64 db at pulse) and 30% constant at night (54 db).
I cleaned the cages and props once to see if the noise would die down but db registered at the same levels. One thing I did realize is that you need to pay attention to which cage and prop came off which side, I had to pull it out a few times to get it back to where it was correct after the cleaning. I was like crap, this is not working right till I realized cages and props were not in the correct sides.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hooked up one of the 150s on my 40 x 26 x 20 rimless tank and so far the results are good. There's definitely way more water movement overall then before when I just had 2 vortech's running. I'm going to probably have to dial it down a bit though as my zoas on the opposite end of the tank are getting blown around too much. But, my SPS and fish seem to love it so far. I run a bare bottom and it immediately kicked up a bunch of debris that was accumulating in various locations so it seems to hold up to its promise on eliminating dead spots. Its very quiet, can't hear it running over the vortechs. So, I'm happy with it. I plan on keeping it and using it for a larger tank soon too.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added mine and its a little louder than my MP40 but the flow is outstanding. Its noticeably better flow than the MP40 and 3 6105s Ive been running for years. It seems like its gonna be a pain to clean but if I dont have to clean as many pumps then Im cool with that.

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else had a problem with the sticky pads falling off? I had mine stuck to the back of the tank (out of site yet still easily accessible) but after 3 weeks they both fell off. The sticky pad is stuck to the plastic holder but doesn't stick to the glass anymore. Anyone find one from another store that works better? If so what brand and which store?

Yea mine fell off the wall it was attached to. I ended up screwing the holder to the wall. I bet that you could use Velcro and that would work

dmatt56

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune systems claims they have not received the apex ready application yet on their forums. I'm starting to wonder....

Mackjr1969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It in the works! I read it on saltwater and coral website! Not sure when it will be ready! But I never buy a product when it first realeases ! Too many bugs In it!

msderganc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It in the works! I read it on saltwater and coral website! Not sure when it will be ready! But I never buy a product when it first realeases ! Too many bugs In it!

Yeah, I think his implication was that Neptune takes a while (months) to approve compatible products, and Coral Vue has teased the control being available soon (1Q). Since there's been no application to Neptune, it's unlikely to be ready by Coral Vue's expectation.

But who knows? Maybe it gets fast tracked somehow.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back