Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is:
Iphone 2013-10-20 025.jpg
Iphone 2013-10-20 029.jpg
Iphone 2013-10-20 031.jpg
Iphone 2013-10-20 033.jpg

will be changing the powerhead set up to circulation mode and hope it doesnt blow the sand into a haboob! (500gph)
my light is a coral lite flourescent 18w will take pics later since I will not have it on for the first couple of weeks.
I will have a clean homemade window screen covering the top of my tank by tonight (this was set up yesterday)
I added my CaribSea live pink fiji sand at setup & the bio pack followed per pkg directions shortly thereafter

QUESTIONS:
Do I do 100% water changes at first? or just 25%? Weekly? Twice a week?
Lights on (risk algae)? or Lights off (avoid algae)? If off, do I cover to block all light?
Do I need a protein skimmer if I plan on doing weekly water changes?
Can I eventually (when cycled) fit just one lone 3" fish? (damsel, clown, dottyback OR chromis)
WILL be asking more and more questions as I think of them... or as I come up with some new dilemma :angel:

CKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- I only ever did weekly changes, now i change bi-weekly
- If doing weekly changes you could get by with no skimmer
- I see no problem keeping any of those fish you have listed

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is:
Iphone 2013-10-20 025.jpg Iphone 2013-10-20 029.jpg Iphone 2013-10-20 031.jpg Iphone 2013-10-20 033.jpg

will be changing the powerhead set up to circulation mode and hope it doesnt blow the sand into a haboob! (500gph)
my light is a coral lite flourescent 18w will take pics later since I will not have it on for the first couple of weeks.
I will have a clean homemade window screen covering the top of my tank by tonight (this was set up yesterday)
I added my CaribSea live pink fiji sand at setup & the bio pack followed per pkg directions shortly thereafter

QUESTIONS:
Do I do 100% water changes at first? or just 25%? Weekly? Twice a week?
Lights on (risk algae)? or Lights off (avoid algae)? If off, do I cover to block all light?
Do I need a protein skimmer if I plan on doing weekly water changes?
Can I eventually (when cycled) fit just one lone 3" fish? (damsel, clown, dottyback OR chromis)
WILL be asking more and more questions as I think of them... or as I come up with some new dilemma :angel:

Was the sand wet or dry when you bought it in a bag?

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this a new tank you can leave the lights out if you want untill it cycles. Before you add fish have your lfs test your water to make sure tank has cycled. I f you are only planning on one fish probaly biweekly 25% water changes should be fine. Be carefull when you add fish and don't overfeed. Looks like you have a great start go slow and enjoy.

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oct 21

Got home and changed the powerhead to circulation mode. I am pretty stoked. :bigsmile:

Stopped by the LFS on the way home from work and picked up a little cheapy heater for the salt water premix and got a GREAT deal on a cover for this little tank! $6.99!! Here it is today:
Iphone 2013-10-21 001.jpg
Iphone 2013-10-21 002.jpg
Iphone 2013-10-21 003.jpg
Iphone 2013-10-21 004.jpg
Iphone 2013-10-21 005.jpg

leaving the light off for the first couple weeks. The sand was dry. It had a separate envelope that I opened into a jar of the aquarium water, stirred and then slowly added to the aquarium anyway. I am pretty happy with how clear the water looks already, but the sand said no rinsing required but I rinsed it anyway....
Should I test for ammonia already? See if a cycle is starting? Add ammonia if the water tests negative? Could use some input... not sure how "live" my sand and rocks actually were...

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh,
I also did an ammonia test tonight and it showed 0.50. How long does it take "die off" to make ammonia spike? Is this a sign that the cycle is actually starting?

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update

4 full days after setup:

having some issues with my powerhead, i am working on correcting (need to learn to adjust my flow properly still)
tests as of 8:30pm October 24, 2013 (remember this is just setup new tank going for SLOW fowlr system to start)
FISHLESS cycle

pH = 8.8+
dKh (alkalinity) = 10.2
phosphates = 0.00
salinity = 1.022
temp = 80F
ammonia = holding at 1.00 (adding 5 drops of pure household ammonia daily = 0.5ml)
tested for nitrates at 7:30pm Oct 23 = 0.00 - no test on Oct 24.

I know my pH is very high but my alkalinity is good right?
I wasn't using my light but with phosphates bein 0 I turned them on this morning.
I think things are looking good so far. However, I do seem to have some "color" on two of the pieces of rock I bought from LFS so should I be testing for calcium, mag, etc if it is coralline algae or do I just let this go and worry only about the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp and salinity for now?

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I do an ammonia cycle.. I add enough to get my reading to 4 or 5 PPM and just let it ride out until I see a nitrite spike and then I add enough to get a .5 PPM reading until nitrites fall. Then I add enough ammonia to get me to 1.0 wait 24 hours and test to make sure the tank is cycled. As far as time can take from 2 weeks to 2 months.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 full days after setup:

having some issues with my powerhead, i am working on correcting (need to learn to adjust my flow properly still)
tests as of 8:30pm October 24, 2013 (remember this is just setup new tank going for SLOW fowlr system to start)
FISHLESS cycle

pH = 8.8+
dKh (alkalinity) = 10.2
phosphates = 0.00
salinity = 1.022
temp = 80F
ammonia = holding at 1.00 (adding 5 drops of pure household ammonia daily = 0.5ml)
tested for nitrates at 7:30pm Oct 23 = 0.00 - no test on Oct 24.

I know my pH is very high but my alkalinity is good right?
I wasn't using my light but with phosphates bein 0 I turned them on this morning.
I think things are looking good so far. However, I do seem to have some "color" on two of the pieces of rock I bought from LFS so should I be testing for calcium, mag, etc if it is coralline algae or do I just let this go and worry only about the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp and salinity for now?

You should raise your salinity to about 1.025-1.026 for reef! Ammonia, top it off when your reading for ammonia is back to 0 than give your bb some more food (ammonia)

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started cycling my tank 4 days ago! By "reef" do you mean the coralline algae? I am certainly NOT considering running out and purchasing corals yet or anything.
I can bring it up, but short of dumping salt in my tank I have to go slow method so will add salt water on top offs till it gets there. Just thought I would go a bit lower on salinity to begin with to ease it up instead of having it too high and having to do water change in cycle...
I won't really be ready for "REEF" for a very long time yet but any and all input is much appreciated

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update pics.... I swear the color on the two rocks are indeed coralline algae :clap2:
Iphone 2013-10-26 024.jpg
Iphone 2013-10-26 032.jpg

at least I sure hope it is...

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Nana!!
I am hoping and I spend an hour or so a day just staring at the tank. :clock:
I have begun to cycle the tank using the fishless ammonia method .... 10 gallon, shouldn't take too too long :brick:
trying not to worry too much about the rock, figure it will do it's thing all in good time but I AM curious bout the color! :pound:

Full tests, 6:00pm October 27, 2013
temp: 81 F
sg: 1.023 - 1.024
pH 8.4
calcium 390
alkalinity dKh 10.2
phosphates 0
ammonia 4
nitrites 3
nitrates 20

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this time this is a FOWLR nano that I have only begun to cycle :smile:
I have NO future plans of THIS tank becoming a reef tank. However, I have plans for a larger REEF tank in the next 6 months! So trying to learn all I can, while dabbling with the basics in this 10 gallon. If I can learn to master THIS small tank, I should have less trouble in future when i can afford to setup my 90 gallon with a 50 gallon sump.

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always heard it was hard going small (other than your debit / Credit card). I start with a 56 then went 75.. Don't have room for anything bigger. Did want the 90 (extra weight) on my floor.

SO I agree if you can master the 10 the 90 will be easier.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back