me again

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, no sandsifter. It will eat any tiny critters living in your sand bed. A better choice is a couple of nassarius snails.

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have any intention of getting a SSS. Not because I don't like them, but because there really isn't a whole lot of room in my tiny 10 gallon. Furthermore, I didn't truly secure my live rock so it is only "stacked" and if a SSS shifted something a bit too much it could cause a wreck in there.
Now, I am truly truly concerned all of a sudden because I have just witnessed one of my two peppermint shrimp eat one of my snails. I am not sure if the snail was dead but I didn't think so. This morning it was moving around fine. I went to look at the tank and the shrimp was pulling at one of my snails. I used my tongs to shoo the shrimp away and turned the snail over, but soon as the tongs were out of the tank the shrimp flipped it back over and pulled it out :(
Would my peppermint shrimp kill my snails? I still have snails, hermit crabs and the two clownfish in there! Are they all in danger from the peppermint shrimp?

Dylan J.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild peppermint shrimp do that. They're very opportunistic eaters. Only reason I say that is I use to catch them out in the tide pools near me.

Just have to be careful with those guys. I think I mentioned something about having them in my dt then started reproducing. Ended up eating my snowflake eel n some fish while they were sleeping. N long story short had to tare my whole tank a part to get them out.

Dylan J.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ask the lfs if things were wildly caught or tank raised only because the way they react to things is different.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Eienna, I fed them with some of the meaty frozen foods I feed the clownfish with at the same time. Krill, ocean plankton and mysis shrimp so far. They really seem to be huge eaters. Now I came home from helping my sister with some stuff at her house and one of my little hermit crabs shells is empty. I am really praying that he just moved to a different shell...
I am beginning to think I would rather have aiptasia in my tank!! Yikes, I think tomorrow I am going to have to take some careful stock of the CuC I still have left and try to get the two shrimp out. Hopefully I still have some hermit crabs and snails by the time I get home from work.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eeep! o_O
Too bad I can't send you some of mine (they're relatively cheap here.)

Hopefully the little hermit moved into the deceased snail's shell!

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning, all seems ok. One of the shrimp shed it's skin last night so it looks kinda creepy, but I left it in there since it's just calcium :)
I didn't count my critters since both my fish are still doing well, that is what matters to me the most! I will assume the snail was already dead...
Happy Monday everyone :)

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuesday, after work:
temp 79F
sg 1.024
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 5
All my remaining critters seem to be playing nice and getting along. :)

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, no sandsifter. It will eat any tiny critters living in your sand bed. A better choice is a couple of nassarius snails.

I agree on that one!!!! If nothing in the sand they will clean your glass too :)

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning, all seems ok. One of the shrimp shed it's skin last night so it looks kinda creepy, but I left it in there since it's just calcium :)
I didn't count my critters since both my fish are still doing well, that is what matters to me the most! I will assume the snail was already dead...
Happy Monday everyone :)

It's good to keep the moulted shells in! The shrimp will consume some for extra calcium, never mind what ever else needs cal. will want some too!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
November 28, after work:
temp: 80F
sg: 1.024
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 10
all is well :smile:

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
November 28, after work:
temp: 80F
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 10
all is well :smile:

:)
Looking good!!!!
especially trying to keep those perimeters is good and kinda hard on the small tank, but yaaaa looking good! How's your fishy doing? Guessing they are very happy and swimmy when they see you :)

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol! November 30 @ 8:30am
Bert and Ernie are so funny! I started feeding them with a little teeny tiny spoon and now when I unplug the powerhead they already know they are getting fed and come to the one top right corner!! Whenever I put my tongs or anything in the tank they are right at it thinking it's food :)
temp 79F
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 20
doing a pwc and vacuuming the sand and rocks a bit at about 10am. Going to let the CuC get some of the food that sunk before I take it all out. I have discovered a new and kinda creepy critter in there as well. Looks a bit like a crab but has some sorta antenna feeler things and moves very quickly. I got a crappy video of it but it was semi hiding under the rocks and couldn't for the life of me get a good pic; now this morning it is not visible again.....
I could also only spot 3 of my blue legged hermit crabs, but the bigger red legged one is there. One of my bigger slug like snails is burrowing under my sand and the shrimp seem fit and sassy!

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same Same! All is good in the tank. Gonna do a pwc when I get home from work, need to vacuum up a bit on the rocks and such.

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he has been out a few times (the mystery critter) and looks like a cross between a small crab and a bug of some sort with weird antenna things that whirl around. I still have not gotten a really good look at him as he avoids direct light, has several hidey holes in my rocks and never reveals himself fully. He does not, however, seem malicious or mean since all tank occupants have stayed the same since the snail incident with the peppermint shrimp.....
The tank maintains all parameters nicely and I am doing weekly partial water changes as scheduled. My ammonia and nitrites are consistently 0 while I never let my nitrates top 10ish. temp stays 78 or 79, salinity at 1.024. My shrimp have both shed once now and snails are keeping the glass fairly clean. All my hermit crabs are still alive and well too. I am still feeding sparingly twice a day making sure all food gets consumed each and every time :)

Back