OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tee hee :)

Ok, so no pics of the silly sump!! However, these were my test results after work today:
sg: 1.022 (exactly that of my LFS) :smile:
temp: 78F (also, exactly that of my LFS) :bigsmile:
so, I GO to my LFS!! With another water sample and they say: uh oh... ammonia is 1.00, but no nitrites, no nitrates ... blah, blah and won't sell me a clown fish. :Cry: He say, give it another week and we will test again. :Cry: So, all the way home, I am thinking NO WAY :( so sad now!! :Cry: If there is a bit of ammonia and no anything else that means my cycle is only starting .... can't be. So I start to stew a bit thinking if I don't feed that tank and I go another week, all my BB gonna die and I will have to start all over!!! :Cry:
So, I gets home and do my own testing (again) :squigglemouth:
And:
Iphone 2013-11-14 003.jpg
Iphone 2013-11-14 012.jpg
Iphone 2013-11-14 016.jpg

I took those tests right back to the LFS and got me a fish!!! Say hello to Ernie :cheer2::whoo:

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can your ammonia go from 1 to 0 in a few hours?

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess fish store guy messed up XD

Hi Ernie! :)

I wanna see him...

I have a little news for you, though. Without another, more dominant clown, Ernie will soon be Ernette XD

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehehe :) Ernie / Ernette, it's all ok with me!!
Yes, Eienna; the fish store guy got a false positive reading on his test for ammonia :)
This morning the fish seems quite happy too, isn't even hiding. I will feed him (her) tonight when I get home around 4pm

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehehe :) Ernie / Ernette, it's all ok with me!!
Yes, Eienna; the fish store guy got a false positive reading on his test for ammonia :)
This morning the fish seems quite happy too, isn't even hiding. I will feed him (her) tonight when I get home around 4pm

Wonderful to hear!! :D

As a side note, I strongly advise you to QT new arrivals from now on. 30 days minimum, though I know it's hard to wait!! Once you have a parasite or disease in a reef tank, trying to remove it is torture. >.<

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh!! I have no QT because it's only a 10 gallon. That is the only fish I will have in there :) Too small to add more I think!
I am now working on setting up a 55g (bad dimensions for SW) freshwater fish for mbuna cichlids and my next SW is a 90g with a 50g sump :)
However, do I QT my CuC when I get it??

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Errrm...no, I don't think so. You do want to QT corals, though. Giving said corals a dip in something like Coral RX or RPS All Out first is never a bad idea, as well.

This is a bit off the reef subject, but is that 55 at least 4' long? Mbuna really shouldn't be recommended in anything shorter.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could safely add another clown if you wanted to.

puffster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When cycling a new tank, you need to wait for the ammonia to spike and then the Nitrates to spike then level out. Once that happens, do a fifty percent water change then you are ready to start stocking your tank. If you would like direction and assistance in this process, there are forms and podcast that are dedicated to the marine hobby and can make the initial set-up a little less annoying. Some of these podcast are; Reef Threads, Aquarium tip tank and Talking Reef. These all have good information regarding new tank set-up and the process. Also, if you can go bigger. Go as big as your budget will let you, bigger is more stable.

Good luck,
Ernie

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discovered 2 (yes 2) other critters in my tank - one is a little round sucker thingy going around the glass and the other is some sort of worm. The worm creeps me out a bit as it kinda jumps, skims, swims but really fast. The little sucker thing, on the other hand, is opposite; goes really really slowly :) I'm thinking some sort of snail. I tried to take pics but.... its too little to get a good picture with my cell phone.
@Tatuaje08:- I have now officially kinda overstocked my little 10 gallon by adding another clown fish. I know I am supposed to only have one in a ten gallon tank, but Ernie seemed lonely so I got his brother Bert (once one becomes the dominant female, they will be Bertha and Ernie)! By the time they get too big for the 10 gallon, my 90 will be up and running. I will then make the 10 my QT.
@Eienna:- it is going to be a long time before I actually BUY corals if ever for this little tank, it is strictly meant to be just a FOWLR to Quarantine when my 90 is up :) and, yes.. the 55 is 4 ft long by 1 ft wide :)
Puffster, you clearly have not read this entire thread or you would have known that I did the proper cycle starting on October 20th using a fishless cycle and pure household ammonia :) I did go as big as my current budget will allow at this time. Thank you for your participation on my little 10 gallon nano journey!

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you misread my previous post. You are OK to have 2 clowns of that species in a 10 gal tank. That is not over-stocking as that species doesn't get very big. :xd:

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to tatuaje08 :)
I didn't misread your post, in fact I agree with you. If I didn't I would not have put in the second clown :)
Most folks on here AND liveaquaria.com (where I do 90+% of my fish research) will disagree with us and say only one clown will fit in a 10 gallon system and a pair is minimum 30, hence the overstock comment. However, I will be prepared to move them when they get bigger if it becomes an issue so all bases are covered :)
to jtucker :)
I did manage to (I think) identify the slow moving glass sucker thing. I believe it is a Stomatella Varia snail and is a lovely red and white in color :)
The fast moving strange worm type thing, however, I didn't get a good enough look at to know where to begin! lol perhaps if it shows itself again I will have better luck :)

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back