Medications to keep on hand

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Humblefish, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

It's worked on all external parasites I've tested it on: ich, velvet, brook, uronema

However, there's still deworming to consider. Namely, flukes and intestinal worms (use Prazipro). And if the fish happens to develop a bacterial infection (use antibiotics), that's a whole different story.

2. Aruna

Aruna Active Member

Alternate for prazipro.

3. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

1. API General Cure - Praziquantel and metronidazole mix, but in powder form. 2 courses of treatment, or 4 doses in total, must be used spaced 7 days apart.
    2. Formalin. Option #1 In-tank use maintained for at least 7 days. Option #2 Two 45 min bath treatments, spaced one week apart and the fish must be placed in a new QT afterwards. It's more work, but I prefer bath treatments when using formalin due to the harshness of the chemical.
    3. De-Los. This medication eradicates flukes plus their eggs all in one pass. However, it's better tolerated by FW fish than SW fish.
    I am researching others, trying to find more alternatives to using Prazipro.

4. mattcoug

mattcoug Member

5-min freshwater daily dips over a week's time, generally works well for skin and gill flukes.

5. Humblefish

Forgot about using osmotic shock for flukes: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa033

6. twreefer

twreefer Well-Known Member

Since my recent ich disaster, I now have a 35g QT. (Familiar problem/resolution I'm sure!) When I start re-adding fish and starting them in QT, should I just observe and for how long (guessing 4 weeks), or should I go ahead and do a preventative treatment of some sort?

7. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

That's up to you, but i would suggest treating for flukes and ick right preemptively. Then observe for another two weeks in case anything else shows up.

Humblefish likes this.
  8. Humblefish

You've already found the best way to QT fish - tank transfer method. ;) Run all new fish through that, and dose Prazipro (to deworm) at the onset of transfers 2 & 4. After that, just observe for 2 more weeks and you are good to go. If you observe anything unusual during that time, start a thread here and we will advise you on how to treat it.

twreefer likes this.
  9. rockstarta78

rockstarta78 Well-Known Member

4FordFamily likes this.
  10. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

Coppersafe is said to be more gentle on fish than the ionic copper of cuppramine is. It may be better to use on more delicate fish such as wrasses or angels if something like velvet comes a call'n.

Humblefish likes this.
  11. Humblefish

+1 After trying Cupramine for a few years, I switched back to chelated copper. However, there are those who really like/have had good success with Cupramine as well. So, maybe it's a Ford vs. Chevy kinda thing. ;) @4FordFamily

4FordFamily likes this.
  12. isaacalves

isaacalves Well-Known Member

Am I reading these last few posts correctly in that a newly purchased fish should always be medicated while in QT? I just want clarification.

Also, regarding corals, a coral dip is all that's required?

13. Humblefish

It comes down to personal preference and knowing yourself. If you are a highly observant, attention to detail type, who has the time to spend 15-30 mins every day watching your fish in QT then just passive observation should work for you. Because even if you don't see visible physical symptoms of disease (ex. white spots), you'll notice the more subtle behavioral symptoms such as heavy breathing, head twitching, rubbing, lethargy, etc. You'll just know something isn't right with the fish (of course, experience also helps.) However, if you are always on the go, no free time, don't notice little things, etc. - then I highly recommend prophylactic treatment over just observing in QT. :)

Dips remove immediate threats to corals, but do not always eradicate any eggs left behind. So, the "next generation" of coral pest can hatch and wreck havoc in your DT. Better to take that chance in a dedicated coral QT first. ;) Coral dips probably do nothing to eliminate fish diseases encysted on corals, as not even liquid copper poison can do that.

twreefer and isaacalves like this.
  14. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

Honestly I advise against cupramine I have my doubts that it is effective anymore. In fairness, other factors may have lead to its failures but very unlikely. I've switched to coppersafe.

Clowning_around and Humblefish like this.
  15. rockstarta78

rockstarta78 Well-Known Member

Have you used Mardel Coppersafe? Do you like it?

16. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

I have limited experience with it but I've been using it for a couple weeks without issue.

17. Humblefish

18. mibwb

mibwb Well-Known Member

I buy my meds from National Fish Pharmaceuticals they can be found at Fishyfarmacy.com
    They make the meds they sell.

Humblefish likes this.
  19. 7hogwarts

7hogwarts Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Any reefsafe meds to recomend?
    Looking to control Lymphosystis.

20. Humblefish

Best option for that is to soak fish food in vitamin supplements (Selcon, Zoecon, Vita-chem). No medication will control Lympho.