OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And am I miss understanding that it can be used to treat almost all common fish diseases in a QT tank?

It's worked on all external parasites I've tested it on: ich, velvet, brook, uronema

However, there's still deworming to consider. Namely, flukes and intestinal worms (use Prazipro). And if the fish happens to develop a bacterial infection (use antibiotics), that's a whole different story.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternate for prazipro.
  1. API General Cure - Praziquantel and metronidazole mix, but in powder form. Dose 2x (about a week apart); NOT 48 hrs later as the directions say. ;)
  2. Formalin. Option #1 In-tank use maintained for at least 7 days. Option #2 Two 45 min bath treatments, spaced one week apart and the fish must be placed in a new QT afterwards. It's more work, but I prefer bath treatments when using formalin due to the harshness of the chemical.
  3. De-Los. This medication eradicates flukes plus their eggs all in one pass. However, it's better tolerated by FW fish than SW fish.
I am researching others, trying to find more alternatives to using Prazipro.

Last edited:

mattcoug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-min freshwater daily dips over a week's time, generally works well for skin and gill flukes.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-min freshwater daily dips over a week's time, generally works well for skin and gill flukes.

Forgot about using osmotic shock for flukes: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa033
Another method that can be used for capsalid monogeneans is hyposalinity. In one study, 15 g/L (ppt) salinity or lower for two days eliminated juvenile and adult Neobenedenia melleni. When 15 g/L was maintained for 5 days, the hatching of N.melleni eggs was prevented. It is important to note that some fish species may not tolerate this treatment method.

twreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my recent ich disaster, I now have a 35g QT. (Familiar problem/resolution I'm sure!) When I start re-adding fish and starting them in QT, should I just observe and for how long (guessing 4 weeks), or should I go ahead and do a preventative treatment of some sort?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my recent ich disaster, I now have a 35g QT. (Familiar problem/resolution I'm sure!) When I start re-adding fish and starting them in QT, should I just observe and for how long (guessing 4 weeks), or should I go ahead and do a preventative treatment of some sort?

That's up to you, but i would suggest treating for flukes and ick right preemptively. Then observe for another two weeks in case anything else shows up.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I start re-adding fish and starting them in QT, should I just observe and for how long (guessing 4 weeks), or should I go ahead and do a preventative treatment of some sort?

You've already found the best way to QT fish - tank transfer method. ;) Run all new fish through that, and dose Prazipro (to deworm) at the onset of transfers 2 & 4. After that, just observe for 2 more weeks and you are good to go. If you observe anything unusual during that time, start a thread here and we will advise you on how to treat it.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe is said to be more gentle on fish than the ionic copper of cuppramine is. It may be better to use on more delicate fish such as wrasses or angels if something like velvet comes a call'n.

+1 After trying Cupramine for a few years, I switched back to chelated copper. However, there are those who really like/have had good success with Cupramine as well. So, maybe it's a Ford vs. Chevy kinda thing. ;) @4FordFamily

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I reading these last few posts correctly in that a newly purchased fish should always be medicated while in QT? I just want clarification.

Also, regarding corals, a coral dip is all that's required?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I reading these last few posts correctly in that a newly purchased fish should always be medicated while in QT? I just want clarification.

It comes down to personal preference and knowing yourself. If you are a highly observant, attention to detail type, who has the time to spend 15-30 mins every day watching your fish in QT then just passive observation should work for you. Because even if you don't see visible physical symptoms of disease (ex. white spots), you'll notice the more subtle behavioral symptoms such as heavy breathing, head twitching, rubbing, lethargy, etc. You'll just know something isn't right with the fish (of course, experience also helps.) However, if you are always on the go, no free time, don't notice little things, etc. - then I highly recommend prophylactic treatment over just observing in QT. :)

Also, regarding corals, a coral dip is all that's required?

Dips remove immediate threats to corals, but do not always eradicate any eggs left behind. So, the "next generation" of coral pest can hatch and wreck havoc in your DT. Better to take that chance in a dedicated coral QT first. ;) Coral dips probably do nothing to eliminate fish diseases encysted on corals, as not even liquid copper poison can do that.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 After trying Cupramine for a few years, I switched back to chelated copper. However, there are those who really like/have had good success with Cupramine as well. So, maybe it's a Ford vs. Chevy kinda thing. ;) @4FordFamily

Honestly I advise against cupramine I have my doubts that it is effective anymore. In fairness, other factors may have lead to its failures but very unlikely. I've switched to coppersafe.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I advise against cupramine I have my doubts that it is effective anymore. In fairness, other factors may have lead to its failures but very unlikely. I've switched to coppersafe.
Have you used Mardel Coppersafe? Do you like it?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used Mardel Coppersafe? Do you like it?
I have limited experience with it but I've been using it for a couple weeks without issue.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reefsafe meds to recomend?
Looking to control Lymphosystis.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reefsafe meds to recomend?
Looking to control Lymphosystis.

Best option for that is to soak fish food in vitamin supplements (Selcon, Zoecon, Vita-chem). No medication will control Lympho.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back