OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this thread, love your tank, think you are fantastic and am so appreciative of all the advice you give on here. Question, what would be your process for quarantining your cuc? In their own tank? For how long? Any treatment or just observation?

Also to make you feel better... maybe... I just renovated my kitchen and am thinking about the amazing tank upgrade I could have done with that money

Thank you for all the kind words! To QT inverts and corals they go into a fishless tank. Mine is a JBJ 20 frag tank with an AI Prime over it and an ATO (cause I tend to not pay attention to it). All inverts and corals go in there for 76 days. I feed them on occasion- I try for once a week or so. The corals get a coral dip before going into the display and I keep an eye out for other coral pests but for the most part I'm waiting for any fish parasites to starve and die. :) It can be done with less that I have of course. I simple tank, sand and live rock, heater, powerhead, HOB filter and a T5 light for the top. Easy peasy

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you plumb your overflows with a Durso style? I remember reading you said it was loud in the room with the overflows. I get my 180 Friday and am trying to figure on witch way I want to plumb it. I'm thinking the herbie just to reduce noise and have the returns hang over the back. What is causing the loud noise for you?

I prefer not to have the pvc behind the tank so I can have it up against the wall but don't want it loud either.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you plumb your overflows with a Durso style? I remember reading you said it was loud in the room with the overflows. I get my 180 Friday and am trying to figure on witch way I want to plumb it. I'm thinking the herbie just to reduce noise and have the returns hang over the back. What is causing the loud noise for you?

I prefer not to have the pvc behind the tank so I can have it up against the wall but don't want it loud either.

It's not loud any more. I had plumbed it with pipe that was too large going into the sump and that was creating a flushing noise that was super loud. In my living room it's completely silent. It came with the overflow plumbing so I used that, which I believe is a durso. Once it broke in a bit and I fixed the flushing part it's much better. I don't think it would seem so quiet if it were actually IN the living room though. I've heard the herbies are the best way to make a silent tank though.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not loud any more. I had plumbed it with pipe that was too large going into the sump and that was creating a flushing noise that was super loud. In my living room it's completely silent. It came with the overflow plumbing so I used that, which I believe is a durso. Once it broke in a bit and I fixed the flushing part it's much better. I don't think it would seem so quiet if it were actually IN the living room though. I've heard the herbies are the best way to make a silent tank though.
I run dual durso's although to do it again I would have done it as a bean animal. I sit right next to my tank on a regular basis and they are normally very quiet. And then... a snail will decide it wants to play on the water slide. :p
My system will then sound like a toilet flushing over and over until the snail overcomes his fear and rides to the sump. Then, back to quiet. I used to get worried that my flows got messed up but now I just laugh to myself every time it happens.

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
webicon_gray.png
Assorted Hermits*
webicon_gray.png
Blue Leg Hermit Crab*
webicon_gray.png
Dwarf Planaxis
webicon_gray.png
Florida Cerith
webicon_gray.png
Fuzzy Chiton*
webicon_gray.png
Nassarius Vibex
webicon_gray.png
Nerite Snail

I verified that they don't have fish - at all- in any of their systems, so I'm good to go on putting them in the display. I was pretty annoying about it actually and they were clear in responses so I'm 99% confident in putting them in the display instead of QT. I might lose my nerve and put them in the QT last minute lol
Cool list! Today is the day of their arrival! How exciting!! :D

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool list! Today is the day of their arrival! How exciting!! :D

They arrived a couple hours ago. Got them acclimated and into the tank. most of the are much smaller than i expected, but all alive and well. I have a video update uploading now. I also had a bit of a cave in on the left side of the tank so that's different now.

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They arrived a couple hours ago. Got them acclimated and into the tank. most of the are much smaller than i expected, but all alive and well. I have a video update uploading now. I also had a bit of a cave in on the left side of the tank so that's different now.
Great! Can't wait to see!

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow M! I've missed a few posts here. You got some livestock in there quick, nice work it looks great! Are those little hills intentional or from the Gyre and other power head?

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow M! I've missed a few posts here. You got some livestock in there quick, nice work it looks great! Are those little hills intentional or from the Gyre and other power head?

Thanks!
It does seem quick, but the tank has been running and cycling over a good while before the fish were added. I had to move everybody all at once simply because if I moved the corals, the lights had to go with them. It just seemed best to get it all over with at once.

No, the hills were not intentional. The Gyre did that and now the black cap basslet is helping with it. In fact, the basslet is the reason I had a cave in on the left side of the rocks. I kinda think the hills are cool, so I'm just going to leave them. I'm gunna let them do what they do.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I like them, I wouldn't change a thing. That's why I asked, it give a little more dimension to the environment. The bottom of the ocean isn't flat!

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you said you bought 100lbs of rock? That looks like a lot more if so.

I it was 100lbs, you are correct. But I had about 150lbs in the 75 display and sump. I picked and chose the ones I wanted in this display, placed some more in the current sump, then traded the rest in to the LFS I work for. I'm saving my store credit for nice fishies :D

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I it was 100lbs, you are correct. But I had about 150lbs in the 75 display and sump. I picked and chose the ones I wanted in this display, placed some more in the current sump, then traded the rest in to the LFS I work for. I'm saving my store credit for nice fishies :D
Recycling! Let me get that 75

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back