OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I switched to T5s a couple years ago, it was because of color. I had fantastic growth with the bulb I was using, but disliked the color a bunch. It was an EVC 10k with 4 110w Super actinic VHO for supplementation. It was still massively yellow!

So I went with a tek light, and cut my electricity in half. Now I'm working towards cutting out bulb replacements and lowering the electric bill a bit more. To those that say "If you can't afford bulb replacements, then get a new hobby" - I will say this: Go buy an H2 Hummer and commute six hours a day in it. :tongue:

I can afford the bulbs, but I can also afford to change to a lighting system that allows me to save some money, then I'm all for it. And you definitely can't beat the fact that I get to be a lemming as well.... :nerd:

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the reality is that the current led lights are only "lasting" a couple years at most. I don't think it is a coincidence that quite a few sps tanks have run into trouble nearing that 2 year mark. Many people are falling for the misleading advertising that these fixtures are going to " last" 5-10 years. Mh's and t5's can "last" 5-10 years, but become useless over a reef tank far sooner. As do leds....

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think the reality is that the current led lights are only "lasting" a couple years at most. I don't think it is a coincidence that quite a few sps tanks have run into trouble nearing that 2 year mark. Many people are falling for the misleading advertising that these fixtures are going to " last" 5-10 years. Mh's and t5's can "last" 5-10 years, but become useless over a reef tank far sooner. As do leds....

This was mentioned earlier. I'd love to see some numbers on this. Please post where you are pulling your info from, or PM me with it.

Onedesign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I'd was this post or not but someone suggested longevity issues due to heat. This I can agree with. The one thing about LEDs is if they are over driven and not properly cooled via heatsinking and fans there will be issues. Whether or not there's color shift I don't know but they will not last.

On the flip side say they only last 2 years. On my DIY fixture over my 120 I can replace all the bulbs for less than $300. Compare that to replacing MH bulbs every 6 mo along with not running a chiller and less electricity and I suggest it still more cost effective.

As to color issues it's my opinion that it's a personal preference. I have no issues with my LEDs and I keep a wide variety of coral from a acros to chalices

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 4x250w 14k Phoenix DE (Lumatek ballasts w/Lumen Brite reflectors) and 4x54w T5 Tek (2x54w retro kit x2) with ATI Blue Plus bulbs,my T5s are only used for dusk and dawn lighting,the 14k Phoenix have plenty of blue so actintic support isn't necessary.....I'm very happy with the colors from the coral and growth seems fine too,that is roughly 1200w of power consumption....add on the power the AC is using to combat the heat,especially this summer,and I'm sure it'll be much more

I know that LEDs can beat that,par per power consumption,hands down no contest,I've not seen any tanks in person running full LED yet,but I do like what pics and videos I've seen of them on-line,there's no doubt in my mind that they will eventually replace MHs,but,like I said before,if they prove to be durable over a saltwater aquarium,then I'll jump on the band wagon as well,but I'll wait and see :D

whether they are good for SPS or not really doesn't concern me,I don't ever plan to have an SPS dominate tank anyway,I like LPS and softies better,I like the movement :D my plans are,when/if I do go to LEDs,is to use 2/3 blue to 1/3 white,use the LED for par and shimmer and the T5s for the color pop from the coral,I think it would be excellent lighting with that combo,what do y'all think ?

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 4x250w 14k Phoenix DE (Lumatek ballasts w/Lumen Brite reflectors) and 4x54w T5 Tek (2x54w retro kit x2) with ATI Blue Plus bulbs,my T5s are only used for dusk and dawn lighting,the 14k Phoenix have plenty of blue so actintic support isn't necessary.....I'm very happy with the colors from the coral and growth seems fine too,that is roughly 1200w of power consumption....add on the power the AC is using to combat the heat,especially this summer,and I'm sure it'll be much more

I know that LEDs can beat that,par per power consumption,hands down no contest,I've not seen any tanks in person running full LED yet,but I do like what pics and videos I've seen of them on-line,there's no doubt in my mind that they will eventually replace MHs,but,like I said before,if they prove to be durable over a saltwater aquarium,then I'll jump on the band wagon as well,but I'll wait and see :D

whether they are good for SPS or not really doesn't concern me,I don't ever plan to have an SPS dominate tank anyway,I like LPS and softies better,I like the movement :D my plans are,when/if I do go to LEDs,is to use 2/3 blue to 1/3 white,use the LED for par and shimmer and the T5s for the color pop from the coral,I think it would be excellent lighting with that combo,what do y'all think ?

sounds like a plan, but the pop you get from leds is ridiculous. if you are just getting t-5s for the pop than you could probably do without them. I havent seen one pic of an all led tank actually comparing to what you see in person. that is one of the reasons i just bought a diy kit

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like a plan, but the pop you get from leds is ridiculous. if you are just getting t-5s for the pop than you could probably do without them. I havent seen one pic of an all led tank actually comparing to what you see in person. that is one of the reasons i just bought a diy kit

I will DIY as well,no way I will pay for a manufactured LED fixture :D my reasoning for the T5 addition is because Troylee said some of the reds and oranges don't pop like they do with T5 or MH,and I know the pop is there with T5....I put a lot of faith in Troylee :D also from what I see in my tank under the LED moon lights,the blues and greens are awesome,my reds and oranges look good too but they do look brighter under the T5s,maybe because the T5s are brighter,IDK....I may change my mind about the combo after I see some full LED lit tanks in person,I really believe it's personal preference thing too,beauty is in the eye of the beer holder :D....but I'm still not ready to change just yet :D

Last edited:

Qualitydaydream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New here,

Just picked up 2 PR-156W's

If I like them I will keep them, If I don't they will be sold right away.

will report back soon.

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time I'm posting a FTS but here's the difference between the t5s and the LEDs. I have a terrible point and shoot camera so the pictures don't do justice.
This is 6 54w t5s
DSCN2265.jpg

This is 96 3w LEDs (looks alot bluer in the picture). LEDs are only at 35-40 percent intensity
DSCN3134.jpg

Back