Micro and nano bubble tank treatment

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this safe for sponges? I heard they are susceptible to air.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get more info on the DIY bubble injector? Specifically how much shorter is the center tube from the larger outside tube? What is the length of the outside tube? Are you still using a air pump with it? The video shows the air moving very slowly through it so I am thinking no air pump required and perhaps a valve on the air line to control the volume of air it is able to pull in?

A list of the dimensions would be awesome.

Dennis

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than slightly clearer water I saw no difference. Socks clogged in same amount of time, same pH, corals looked the same. I stopped after one month.
Slightly clearer water is a positive effect.

How long were you running the bubbles a night?
Also, where was your airpump located?
Lastly, where was the wooden airstone placed in the system?

Last edited:

aereaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a month really an adequate time period to assess the positives or negatives of a method? Not much good happens quick...lots of bad can though

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a month really an adequate time period to assess the positives or negatives of a method? Not much good happens quick...lots of bad can though

What effect would you think would take longer?

Many of the more likely to be true claims (e.g., pH effects when using outside air) will happen in a day or two.

aereaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To discredit or prove any method I would think you would want to study it. As far as that is concerned, until such a time I would say I have, also, reserved judgements on this method. Have I seen positives? Yes and some I have not expected. No real negatives besides actually having to do it. I am gonna continue with it for the duration of this current tank and if everything continues to go well the new tank will have a dedicated bubble chamber in the sump.

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reef wiser
I am still using a variant of it, as much as that I'm now mixing my own micro-elements, using my own home-made calcium reactor, vodka dosing (although I switch back and forth with vinegar),GFO and I got rid of the power filter thing.

But the bubble thing, there's something in that :)

Have a good day :)
Hi Squamosa,
I'm also doing a DIY DSR-like method, also mixing some of my own elements. Would you mind sharing the recipees and dosing quantities you are using? Thanks

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@[URL='https://www.reef2reef.com/members/squamosa.31079/']Squamosa [/URL]- I've started this only yesterday. Can you please tell me, so I run first week for 8h during the lights off and then 2-4h a night ? I saw they say on Facebook that they run cycle twice a day etc. So what is the best schedule for bubbles please ? Thank you.
I have 60g and this is how my pH is:

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 9.14.39 PM.png

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting...people who carbon dose have experienced an increase in skimmate production or a change in colour, normally darker in colour!

Are you getting less skimmate (volume) or less in colour?

Hmmm ... wondering how it's going to affect Zeovit system.

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry one more question, what is the best air pump that most of the people are using here with the stone ? I have a Tetra 77848 Whisper Air Pump maybe I need something more powerful ...

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did three nights of bubbles not changes with pH here or water clarity. I think because I'm already using Coral Snow water was very clear. :) But it's fun.

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 9.38.14 AM.png

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did three nights of bubbles not changes with pH here or water clarity. I think because I'm already using Coral Snow water was very clear. :) But it's fun.

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 9.38.14 AM.png
Where is your air pump located? Is it drawing fresh air or low CO2 air? :)

If it's under the stand in the sump area, that is typically where a lot of degassing of metabolic waste gasses happens due to the crashing/turbulence that is happening at the overflow return. You don't want the air pump to push those gasses back into the system.

Do you have a few pictures of how you set it up? :)

Just might need a few tweaks, adjustments and fine tuning. :)

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've talk with you on Facebook (Alexey Ivanov). It is located outside of the stand on the floor. I'm using a Tetra 40 pump and lime wood stone. :)

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is your air pump located? Is it drawing fresh air or low CO2 air? :)

If it's under the stand in the sump area, that is typically where a lot of degassing of metabolic waste gasses happens due to the crashing/turbulence that is happening at the overflow return. You don't want the air pump to push those gasses back into the system.

Do you have a few pictures of how you set it up? :)

Just might need a few tweaks, adjustments and fine tuning. :)

@Cruz_Arias here is a quick video, I did the color correction to see better the amount and size of the bubbles:

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am understanding that post 550 is before bubbling and 555 is after bubbling, there is not much increased aeration.

Complete aeration would eliminate the daily swing (assuming constant CO2 levels in your home), and increased aeration would reduce it. If there is a trend toward a smaller day to night swing after bubbling (post 550), the effect is pretty small. It looks to average about 0.15 to 0.2 before bubbling and about the same after.

Back