Micro and nano bubble tank treatment

msderganc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to add a CO2 Scrubber checked the prices looks cheap ... but media should be replaced every week. And it's like $350 dollars a year for the media ! :D And this is the cheap one from BRS.
I thought it was going to be expensive too, but I ended up not having to change the media nearly that often. You can also buy it bulk.

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, now I have the air coming to the skimmer from outdoor all the time and bubbles for 8 hours during the night. I will post my pH chart in a week. Thank you again for the help.
I was also wondering, cold outdoor air or hot during the summer will affect very hard the temperature of the water?

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, now I have the air coming to the skimmer from outdoor all the time and bubbles for 8 hours during the night. I will post my pH chart in a week. Thank you again for the help.
I was also wondering, cold outdoor air or hot during the summer will affect very hard the temperature of the water?
The volume of air used is very little.
How much water volume do you have?

DML08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used something similar to this method on my past tanks, the first time I seen this was back in 09 on Joe Weatherson 240g tank.
here is his TOTM Thread and Video he posted years ago. I've had good results in the past using this method..

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used something similar to this method on my past tanks, the first time I seen this was back in 09 on Joe Weatherson 240g tank.
here is his TOTM Thread and Video he posted years ago. I've had good results in the past using this method..

Yes, very similar but using pressurized air. It was based on the 2001-2003 methodology of introducing aeration/bubbles/surge into a reef tank which proved to be very beneficial.
It was the about the same time we started using the wooden air stone instead of a surge tank or pressurized air injection and were just as successful. :D

DML08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, very similar but using pressurized air. It was based on the 2001-2003 methodology of introducing aeration/bubbles/surge into a reef tank which proved to be very beneficial.
It was the about the same time we started using the wooden air stone instead of a surge tank or pressurized air injection and were just as successful. :D

I might give this a try, I'm just setting up my 115g after a 2 year break, and have always had good results with some type of air injection.. here is a another tank that uses something similar, If i remember right Steve used a surge tank though.
TOTM thread
and you can see the micro bubbles in this video at about 0:35 sec.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've put a wooden air stone before my refugium but I'm getting scum on the top of the water where my return pump is located, should I move my bubbles to the return section?

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've put a wooden air stone before my refugium but I'm getting scum on the top of the water where my return pump is located, should I move my bubbles to the return section?
If you have a picture, that would explain a lot more. :D

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved the air stone and no more scum. It was like the foam at the beach, frothy... But is gone now. I have only been using the air stone for a few days now and my zoas are standing out fully extended like I've never seen, my tube anemone puffs up but my torch and finger coral shrink way down, they open fine the next day but wondering if anyone else has noticed the same with those same coral? The tank was moved to a bigger system 3 months ago but the only thing new was sand I seeded it with some old sand from my old DSB I didn't go deep this time either only about an inch and a half. My parameters
Calcium 480
Nitrate 5ppm
Kh 7/8 125.3-143.2
Phosphate 0
As of last week

I use an up flow algae scrubber that is about 6 months old which really brought my levels down and and helped pull phosphate out of my old live rock. I still have a few little patches of turf algae (the dark green stuff you can't pull off with your fingers) but it's slowly going away. I have a small refugium area but I'm going to use it for sponges and matrix to increase my natural filtering.

The reason for all the info is because today I've noticed diatoms on my sand bed. Is this the bubbler working? Or is my sand trying to mature? I stir it a few times a week since it isn't a deep bed. I have a sifting star, nassuris (spelling?) Snails, pistol shrimp, pink spot sand sifting goby, 2 of the giant turbo snails (my first aren't to get rid of turf algae) and 3 porcelain crabs.

Should I be concerned about the
Sand bed probably not related or an I just over thinking it.

Any thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170118_190929.jpg

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are from before bubbling. Any thoughts would be helpful.
I do water changes 2 times a month about 10% and don't dose anything. I just switched to aquaforest probiotic salt 3 weeks ago, just with water changes so a slow transition. I run an oversized reef octopus skimmer, no filter sock. Can't think of anything else you might need. Sorry verbal diarrhea.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the detritus and other uneaten foods are being processed by bacteria, the natural nutrient breakdown is allowing some nutrients to be released into the system. Diatoms are just capitalizing on the availability of extra nutrients which will shortly be utilized by other water borne bacteria and exported by the skimmer.

Tank looks wonderful, Hyde! :)

Back