Midas Blenny with a big white spot…

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced a Midas Blenny into my tank yesterday and it showed no signs of disease. I have three other fish that have been in the tank a while and are all healthy. This morning I checked on the tank and the Midas Blenny has a white spot on his head that seems to be bigger than a grain of salt. I have a hospital tank setup now but I don't know if it is worth it to try and catch it.
IMG_0819.JPG

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you sure it's a spot? A midas blenny can change its colors pretty dramatically when stressed. Is it possible that it's pigmentation?

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see it protruding above the skin it looks like as if something is attached. The fish was changing colors while it was in the fish bag and being acclimated though.

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish now have signs of ich and the Midas Blenny has more spots. I am moving the clowns over to the quarantine now. I could use advice on what to do once they are in quarantine. What medications do I buy?

Lovemycj7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you QT the midas blenny before you put it in your display?

Different ways to treat but I would get prazi and look up tank transfer method (TTM)

Also your display is infected now so don't add any new fish to it you have to let the disease cycle out.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you QT the midas blenny before you put it in your display?

Different ways to treat but I would get prazi and look up tank transfer method (TTM)

Also your display is infected now so don't add any new fish to it you have to let the disease cycle out.

Good luck!

I didn't quarantine which is why I am so mad at myself. I made such a rooky mistake. I am going to go to the store to pick up prazi pro. Is there any other medication I should pick up. Also can I treat my Blenny and clowns in the same 10 gallon tank?

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi pro is for internal parasites right? I don't think I will be able to do ttm so what other methods could I use? Also does prazi pro treat ich? I have heard of hyposalinity but don't know if it will work for these fish?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi pro is for internal parasites right? I don't think I will be able to do ttm so what other methods could I use? Also does prazi pro treat ich? I have heard of hyposalinity but don't know if it will work for these fish?
If you can't do TTM, then you will need to treat with copper.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/copper-treatment.193343/

I have had good luck with Coppersafe and it is fairly easy to find. Just make sure you get an API copper test kit so you can measure it.

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Image1480181369.281892.jpg

Well crap. [emoji36] I just left the LFS and they said to get this food instead of copper because copper would stress the fish out too much. I also got a big bottle of prazi pro.

Lovemycj7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like tank transfer method better. If you need another tank go to petco and grab another 10 gallon.

I don't like measuring for copper and if you screw up the dose bad things happen.

Good job getting on this fast and trying to save everyone!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Image1480181369.281892.jpg

Well crap. [emoji36] I just left the LFS and they said to get this food instead of copper because copper would stress the fish out too much. I also got a big bottle of prazi pro.

Keep the prazi as that might come in handy later. Return the Dr. G's as it wont do much for you in this case.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am noticing a little bit of pop eye on the Blenny so should I go ahead and dose the prazi?

You can certainly dose the prazi, but that's only going to treat for flukes and other external worms. It's not a bad idea to treat for flukes on all new fish. But the cause of the swelling on the eye is something we want to know. Is it just one eye or both? Is it cloudy? Odds are there is ick in the tank now and the swelling is from that. You'll want to treat the cause to keep it from happening again or getting worse. You may need to treat the fish with antibiotics to get it to heal, but for now we can treat the cause and see if his immune system can heal it on it's own.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back