Minimalist Aquascaping

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont know if this qualifies as minimalistc, shot for minmalisticish atleast :)

CrnBrH1.jpg

Ljmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3187.JPG

I just set up this 35 gallon tank this weekend and started the cycle process. 17 lbs of marshal island live rock and 40 lbs of Coralife black Hawaii live sand. Kessil tuna blue aw160 light. Hydor for xtra current (425 gallons per hour). Protein skimmer on order.
What does everyone think about the glass top? Keep or order a mesh top?

WeezeReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3187.JPG

I just set up this 35 gallon tank this weekend and started the cycle process. 17 lbs of marshal island live rock and 40 lbs of Coralife black Hawaii live sand. Kessil tuna blue aw160 light. Hydor for xtra current (425 gallons per hour). Protein skimmer on order.
What does everyone think about the glass top? Keep or order a mesh top?
I personally like the mesh, gives the tank more air. Looks good though, happy Reefing!

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am really wanting to take a minimalist approach to my aquascape. This is gonna be my first reef tank so i do have a few concerns. The first being that I was told I need a pound of rock per gallon of water in the tank, but if I put 50 lbs of rock in the tank it will be way more than minimal. LoL, second is if I use less rock do I need to use more sand to make up the difference? Any help would be appreciated... Thanks guys..[emoji106]

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am really wanting to take a minimalist approach to my aquascape. This is gonna be my first reef tank so i do have a few concerns. The first being that I was told I need a pound of rock per gallon of water in the tank, but if I put 50 lbs of rock in the tank it will be way more than minimal. LoL, second is if I use less rock do I need to use more sand to make up the difference? Any help would be appreciated... Thanks guys..[emoji106]

Please save yourself some trouble and never listen to these horrible recommendation.. As long as you have enough surface area for beneficial bacteria thats all you need to worry about. More rocks = more weight, less water in the tank, more room for detritus and pest.

What size aquarium do you have? Focus on removing all bottom rock and keeping it off the sandbed.

rgaston

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I converted my tank to a minimalist tank last May. I only used about 30 lbs of rock and 1 to 2 inches of sand. I have a SR60 Innovative Marine all-in one tanks. The display is the size of a 40 gallon breeder. Everything has been fine and my parameters have stay right on. As a matter of fact my phosphate and nitrates have stay at 0 which is really to low.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back