Mixed Prazipro and CP

Voltaire81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - Im running a 60g Qt with an emperor, whitetail tang, achilles, and black tang. They have been in this QT for 21 days in CP.

The emperor was acting a bit odd - breathing hard, gasping for air, spots (not ich, change in coloration when stressed) so I gave it a FW dipped to check for flukes. It had a few fall off so decided to dose Prazipro yesterday afternoon.

Since dosing, none of the fish have eaten. The emperor is much worse - still breathing hard, sometimes will lean by the side, not swimming well. The other tangs are also breathing hard now and are quite lethargic. I have two koralias (i think one 1400 and 1150) from both sides so I think theres enough oxygen.

Im not sure if im dealing with other things here (bacterial) besides flukes. To re-iterate, symptoms are breathing hard, gasping for air, and lethargic, staying in corners or the pvc pipes. Also no ammonia, I have the badge and I test every other day for ammonia

When i get home today, Im planning to get them out of that QT tank to a new QT tank without any meds.

Right move or just change water or something that im missing?

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do a big water change, what you are talking about sound like ammonia? how's your water flow for oxygen exchange.

OP
OP
Voltaire81

Voltaire81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do a big water change, what you are talking about sound like ammonia? how's your water flow for oxygen exchange.

Thanks. I was thinking it could be ammonia also since i havent done a wc in 3 weeks. However, two different tests showed 0 ammonia (badge and seachem multi-test) for last 3 weeks.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't mix the liquid prazi with CP. Do a large water change or go ahead with your plan to move them to a non medicated QT. You can use General Cure (powdered prazi and metro together) coupled with CP. This will treat them all for flukes safely.

blueface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix Prazi & CP all the time with no issues. I also add seachem stability to my QT.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't mix the liquid prazi with CP. Do a large water change or go ahead with your plan to move them to a non medicated QT. You can use General Cure (powdered prazi and metro together) coupled with CP. This will treat them all for flukes safely.

^^ This. Sometimes it works out OK, but the Oxybispropanol found in Prazipro can trigger a bacterial bloom (cloudy water/oxygen depletion) if mixed with other meds. I don't chance it anymore.

OP
OP
Voltaire81

Voltaire81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some improvement after the transfer. The fish are swimming well. The Achilles ate some mysis yesterday. The rest of the fish are still not eating and all are still breathing hard.

Should I treat with anything at all (like NFG)? or just observe for a couple days and see if any other symptoms show?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some improvement after the transfer. The fish are swimming well. The Achilles ate some mysis yesterday. The rest of the fish are still not eating and all are still breathing hard.

Should I treat with anything at all (like NFG)? or just observe for a couple days and see if any other symptoms show?

If they had been in the prazi for at least 24 hours, then wait the 5 -7 days letting the fish rest and recuperate then do the final dose of prazi. Keep a close watch on the fish for other symptoms during this time. @Humblefish might have something to add or change here so give him a bit to reply as well.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they had been in the prazi for at least 24 hours, then wait the 5 -7 days letting the fish rest and recuperate then do the final dose of prazi. Keep a close watch on the fish for other symptoms during this time. @Humblefish might have something to add or change here so give him a bit to reply as well.

I agree with this

OP
OP
Voltaire81

Voltaire81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update. Lost the emperor and whitetail. A couple days ago, I restarted CP treatment since I saw the Achilles scratch. I also mixed in General Cure. Today, the black tang started to scratch. I know it can be normal for them to scratch after treating for flukes. However, shes still not eating but the achilles is eating very well. I cant notice any other symptoms.

I dosed about 40mg/g for CP and followed directions for General Cure. (Got CP from diamondback)

Is there anything else that I can do at this point?
@melypr1985 @Humblefish

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Voltaire81 Sounds like you are doing all you can for external parasites + worms. Any symptoms of a bacterial infection? Notice any stringy white poop (intestinal worms)?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. You are on the right track here. I'm sorry for your losses though.

OP
OP
Voltaire81

Voltaire81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. No stringy poop at all. Hope the black starts eating soon.

I've been dosing vitachem in the tank also.

OP
OP
Voltaire81

Voltaire81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your experience, if a fish suddenly stops eating (perhaps because of gill flukes), do they start eating again?

Or am I in for some grim news?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your experience, if a fish suddenly stops eating (perhaps because of gill flukes), do they start eating again?

Or am I in for some grim news?

I have seen fish start eating again, but it usually takes making some headway in treating whatever they are suffering from to get that to happen.

OP
OP
Voltaire81

Voltaire81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen fish start eating again, but it usually takes making some headway in treating whatever they are suffering from to get that to happen.

Yes! The black tang finally ate today. I forgot I had some nutramar and he went crazy after feeding that. I fed pellets after a few min and he went after that too.

Thanks for all the help.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! The black tang finally ate today. I forgot I had some nutramar and he went crazy after feeding that. I fed pellets after a few min and he went after that too.

Thanks for all the help.

awesome news! Anytime :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for all the help.

Sometimes all it takes is a catalyst. ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back